Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Owner mbarrcoins: eBay

johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 20, 2022 10:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone know the owner. I read their nice story about looking through the coins from the ice cream truck owner back in the 50s on their website Sounds like good people. I want to share my experience with the owner. Their website only has an 800 number. Possibly the owner is here and I could PM him or her. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2022 11:19AM

My only experience(Added: this was several years ago now) with them was less than ideal. Have not purchased anything else from them.
    If I am not mistaken they are affiliated or are the same entity as "The Consignment Hub"

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@MWallace said:
    Here's their website:
    https://mbarrcoins.com/

Here's their contact page:
    https://mbarrcoins.com/contact-us/

Yea this won’t help. Their manager Andrew there is not being helpful. They sold me a 1997 SP70 nickel and shipped a 69. Not trying to air my laundry and I actually like their story of how they got into the business so I’m trying to be respectful but get help at the same time.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    My only experience with them was less than ideal. Have not purchased anything else from them.
    If I am not mistaken they are affiliated or are the same entity as "The Consignment Hub"

I don't see any connection. Theconsignmenthub is in Oregon; mbarrcoins is in Maryland. Their listings also do not resemble each other at all.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought a few things from them on Ebay with no problems.

They are in Maryland. The Consignment Hub is in Oregon.

I have not bought anything from The Consignment Hub. I did have one unpleasant encounter with them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    My only experience with them was less than ideal. Have not purchased anything else from them.

I don't see any connection. Theconsignmenthub is in Oregon; mbarrcoins is in Maryland. Their listings also do not resemble each other at all.

My experience was several years ago now, I made a return to them and the shipping address was The consignment hub.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2022 11:42AM

I have many purchases from them, none recent but they have a very liberal return police. Why not just return it.
    Al
    From there auction page
    "Returns: We offer 30 day, no questions asked, hassle free returns (bullion sales exempt - 3 day returns only). Message or call us to get a Return Authorization Number, which will ensure there is no delay in refunding your money. Items must be in their undamaged original packaging otherwise a 15% restocking fee or refusal of return may occur. "
    I am not defending them because each complaint has 2 sides. Good Luck

• Options

I purchased some circulated coins from them about three years ago, and the coins did not have the same color in person as in the photos (lighting issues?)

Young Numismatist

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought from them have a dozen times or so with no issues. Would buy from them again should the instance present itself.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good seller, i have several purchases with them. However, i like the deals and members here a lot better. :)B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@al410 said:
    I have many purchases from them, none recent but they have a very liberal return police. Why not just return it.
    Al
    From there auction page
    "Returns: We offer 30 day, no questions asked, hassle free returns (bullion sales exempt - 3 day returns only). Message or call us to get a Return Authorization Number, which will ensure there is no delay in refunding your money. Items must be in their undamaged original packaging otherwise a 15% restocking fee or refusal of return may occur. "

I am going to return it and there is no second side. I have the photos and emails to prove. My point here was just to give the owner feedback in a friendly manner. I emailed my displeasure over them refusing to explain where / what happened to the coin I purchased (thankfully i opened the package) and they refused to give me an answer telling me there are no exchanges. I explained they shipped the wrong coin, I was not looking for an exchange. At that point the manager blocked me. I am currently winning other auctions of theirs and I can’t communicate. It all seems a bit ridiculous.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2022 2:12PM

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

FYI your full name and address are visible in those photos

• Options

@goodmoney4badmoney said:
    FYI your full name and address are visible in those photos

Thanks
    Not sure what someone would do with it but I’ll edit.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased a listing "roll of 20 1972 Type 1 Ike dollars" from them. I received a roll that include 15 Type 1 and 5 Type 3 1972 Ikes. I notified them of this issue, and they asked what I wished to do. I'm OK with the roll as is, and will keep it as is. I merely hope that in the future, they ship exactly what they list.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@al410 said:
    Al
    From there auction page

I am going to return it and there is no second side. I have the photos and emails to prove. My point here was just to give the owner feedback in a friendly manner. I emailed my displeasure over them refusing to explain where / what happened to the coin I purchased (thankfully i opened the package) and they refused to give me an answer telling me there are no exchanges. I explained they shipped the wrong coin, I was not looking for an exchange. At that point the manager blocked me. I am currently winning other auctions of theirs and I can’t communicate. It all seems a bit ridiculous.

There's always a second side...or a third...

• Options

@johnny010 said:

I don't think anyone has ever questioned this part of the story. I'm not sure anyone has questioned any part of the story.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great deals on ebay with regular auctions. No issues as a buyer there.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I just learned that $300 for a 1997 nickel is a thing. Interesting purchase and not how I’d spend $300 but again that’s something that reminds me of how various collectors each have kinda unique directions and tastes.
    I’ve done business with them and always had positive dealings and good communication. Just return it.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited December 20, 2022 10:32PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Well I just learned that $300 for a 1997 nickel is a thing. Interesting purchase and not how I’d spend $300 but again that’s something that reminds me of how various collectors each have kinda unique directions and tastes.
    I’ve done business with them and always had positive dealings and good communication. Just return it.

Given population numbers, it seems to have upside to me…

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Wow.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well here is a coin I wouldn't buy.

But since you did and got the wrong one, just return it. You purchased it on Ebay. Looks like they blocked you as a buyer. I would stop shopping there.

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Given population numbers, it seems to have upside to me…

I don't know about upside, but they were $250 when they came out in 1997.

[Side note: The botanical sets were one of my first coin flips. ]

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hfjacinto said:
    But since you did and got the wrong one, just return it. You purchased it on Ebay. Looks like they blocked you as a buyer. I would stop shopping there.

There are probably a half million different sellers on eBay and you'd stop shopping there because one of them sent the wrong coin? O-kay.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a side note, it would be fun to mix up ten of the 70s and ten of the 69s with the inserts covered and see if you could tell which grade belongs to each coin.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    On a side note, it would be fun to mix up ten of the 70s and ten of the 69s with the inserts covered and see if you could tell which grade belongs to each coin.

You'd be surprised. I think most people would get the 69s. They usually have a visible defect.

[I do think they would think a lot of 70s were also 69s.]

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@hfjacinto said:

There are probably a half million different sellers on eBay and you'd stop shopping there because one of them sent the wrong coin? O-kay.

No I wouldn’t stop buying on eBay but with that seller.

• Options

@braddick said:

I would venture a guess that were you to put all 20 in a hat and blindly pull out 10 for each pile ( SP69 and SP70), you would do as well as determining the grade with the labels covered.

On a side note, I'm remembering that these were sometimes very nicely toned due to the packaging materials and the matte finish was very satiny and pleasing. Always like them.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

I have a box of modern commems, just picked my favorite designs for fun. They are all 69s because I can't tell the difference and they were 50-75% cheaper. Same deal with the moderns in my type set.

• Options

@rec78 said:
    I would say that some employee is in deep du for sending you the wrong coin. This is a very high volume seller and a mistake like this is likely to occur once in a while. Personally, I would send it back and not leave feedback at all. JMHO

Definitely was my plan but wanted to pass along the feedback to the owner since the manager didn’t seem to care at all. Then told me they don’t do exchanges. They sent the wrong coin, I was not asking for an exchange. Customer service in the coin businesses up until this point has seemed very on point.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

That scenario is tailor-made for a SNAD return.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

That seems like an obvious shipping error, that could easily be corrected by going the eBay route. Unless they accidently sent the 70 to a 69 buyer, an exchange correction would be easy. If they actually blocked you, it could be from the post here. How many listings do they have on eBay? 10,000 ?

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2024 5:27PM

Glad this was resolved!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

@hfjacinto said:

@MasonG said:

@hfjacinto said:

No I wouldn’t stop buying on eBay but with that seller.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    MBARRCoins is Matt Lerner who owns Frederick Coin Exchange in Frederick, MD. He is a great guy that I've known for 20+ years. The number to the shop is (301) 898-2863.

Sounds like he needs to work on his customer service skills for blocking a bidder because his company sent the wrong item. This is a quick way to run your business in the ground. I have bought a couple coins from that company in the past, but because of this I will take my business elsewhere.

• Options

@braddick said:

@1madman said:

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    MBARRCoins is Matt Lerner who owns Frederick Coin Exchange in Frederick, MD. He is a great guy that I've known for 20+ years. The number to the shop is (301) 898-2863.

Sounds like he needs to work on his customer service skills for blocking a bidder because his company sent the wrong item. This is a quick way to run your business in the ground. I have bought a couple coins from that company in the past, but because of this I will take my business elsewhere.

Is your final judgment with or without hearing the seller's side of the story?

I’ve seen and experienced many sellers who block bidders because of the mere fact they open a return. Absolutely unacceptable for a seller to block a bidder before the return is complete. I get the feeling from this company their policy is we’re too big and do too much volume to care about the little guy and waste their time with 1 $250 problem. I base this off personal experiences of negotiating prices on coins with them in the past. Can’t say I’ve ever had an experience with them that left a positive impact and made me want to definitely do business with them again.

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I've bought many coins from this seller, mostly cherrypicked Indian cent and Buffalo varieties.
    I needed this coin for my set. Like most of his coins, it lacks eye appeal. So I offered $40 dollars less and he took it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363964910328

Here's how it looks now.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2022 12:56PM

@MICHAELDIXON said:

Thank you
    “Welcome to Verizon Wireless, your call cannot be completed as the calling party is temporarily unavailable.”

Will keep trying

Tried 3 times.

Emailed info@frederickcoinexchange.com and requested a call back from Matt.

I’m not here to bash his business, only to reach him and provide feedback.

• Options

Their office has replied to my email letting me know there are some phone issues today and Matt will be back in town tonight and will contact me tomorrow.
    I’ll update again tomorrow.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Picker1954 said:
    I've bought many coins from this seller, mostly cherrypicked Indian cent and Buffalo varieties.

Like I said above, they provide very large and clear photos. ;)

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

We are making progress here everyone
    Thank you for the help

• Options

• Options

If one thinks someone is a crappy seller and doesn't like how he runs his business, why would one care about being blocked?

• Options

@MasonG said:
    If one thinks someone is a crappy seller and doesn't like how he runs his business, why would one care about being blocked?

If you’re talking to me, my statements in this thread don’t line up to this sentiment. As for caring about being blocked, you shouldn’t block someone that’s winning other auctions right since a buyer should be allowed to communicate with the seller since it’s my money. I was already winning the auctions prior to their mistake which somehow lead to me being blocked after I opened a return.

• Options

The seller has provided me a return label.

• Options

Not so sure I would have closed the return without speaking to ebay customer service first. They need to be in the loop in case the return/exchange doesn’t go smoothly. What I mean is it sounds like on your return you listed you wanted an exchange for the correct coin, not a refund. So that shipping label ebay provides from the seller is what’s needed to track they get the wrong coin back.

Just trying to help so you don’t get screwed again

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file