Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln 22 No D Question

MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2022 8:22AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was reading about how the 22 No D Lincoln cent may have been created. According to coin facts:

The 1922 No D is believed to exist due to a pair of dies clashing with one another without a coin being in between the two dies. As a result, it is believed that a mint employee obtained an old obverse die and filed it down in order to improve its appearance. But instead, the mint employee ended up filing the D mint mark too much, and in return, created the 1922 No D Lincoln cents.

If it was filed too much, would there not be a more elevated area where the D used to be?

Is the mint mark stamped into the die after it is made? Perhaps it was not stamped in after it was filed?

Mark

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the time, the mintmarks were stamped in later which is why there are all the RPMs.

There is no mystery about the creation of the 1922 no D dies. Polishing used dies to prolong their life was quite common. Frankly, there are probably other such "no mintmark" varieties out there. You just can't tell because there were Philadelphia coins of the same date.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 8:59AM

I will be discussing how the mint marks were reduced and/or eliminated from working dies in my new book on the Cents of 1922. I also have a new theory on why so many dies were so treated in this area.

TD

P.S.: The mint mark problems were not caused by die clashings.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at 1924-D and 1921-S Cents you'll notice that there were quite a few with lighter impressed mintmarks. It was so bad on some 1921-S coins that the coins were mistaken for Philly Cents.

This time period (roughly 1921-25) produced the most "shallow" mintmarks and is part of the reason why 22-D mintmarks were so prone to disappearing. (of course there are a whole lot of other reasons).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was the cause of the 1937-D three-legged Buffalo nickel too.

thefinn
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thing we'll get a sense of 1922 cents with the book

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway .... Look forward to your book, when will it be coming out?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Sign me up for the book too...

Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file