Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Peace Dollar opinions please-UPDATE!

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 6, 2022 9:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Tom

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty well-struck and it appears to be an early die state (slightly proof-like).
    Maybe MS65.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good strike, nice coin. Most of them are cleaned so if it’s a straight grade 64 then she’s a beauty. It’s a not a VAM 1F but it might be a 1H.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2022 9:46AM

Well this is interesting. The strike rivals that of the Satin proof on CoinFacts (CoinFacts says matte finish, but I think it looks like a satin proof rather than matte - the Sandblast proofs of 1921 have a dull surface while the 1921 proof coin on CoinFacts has a sheen that would indicate a Satin Proof). I could also compare it to a lot of other satin proofs that I was able to find in the Heritage sales. The dies, however, don't appear to match. I don't think it is a proof from where I'm sitting, but it is interesting that you can compare the strike to a proof. It's certainly the best struck 1921 Peace I've ever seen for a circulation strike!

It's quite a nice coin. When I first saw it I wanted to say cleaned, but I think it's just a new die pair creating that effect or look. You've got yourself a keeper!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Killer strike!! I thought hairlines below the Y in LIBERTY, and again under WE in IGWT... but now I'm not so sure... die polish lines instead??

Very nice... thanks for sharing...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that strike on a ‘21 is incredible. Not seeing obvious surface issues, I like it as a 64 but one that would fetch a significant premium for the quality of the strike alone.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly well struck !!
    But the obverse hairlines hurt it imo

Overall there’s something odd about the look, can put my finger on what tho
    🤷

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins struck from new dies look a little different than ones struck from worn or repaired dies, a lot more satin finish & lower luster. This one looks awesome.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty of a well struck 21. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will go with 65CAC

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great strike but the surfaces have been stripped by over-dipping and wrongfully as the spot on the I in LIBERTY is dip residue that wasn't neutralized the last time dipped turning.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Well this is interesting. The strike rivals that of the Satin proof on CoinFacts (CoinFacts says matte finish, but I think it looks like a satin proof rather than matte - the Matte proofs of 1921 have a dull surface while the 1921 proof coin on CoinFacts has a sheen that would indicate a Satin Proof). I could also compare it to a lot of other satin proofs that I was able to find in the Heritage sales. The dies, however, don't appear to match. I don't think it is a proof from where I'm sitting, but it is interesting that you can compare the strike to a proof. It's certainly the best struck 1921 Peace I've ever seen for a circulation strike!

It's quite a nice coin. When I first saw it I wanted to say cleaned, but I think it's just a new die pair creating that effect or look. You've got yourself a keeper!

Interesting you bring that up- yes the PCGS coin is incorrectly classified. PCGS does not recognize Satin proof 1921 Peace Dollars. I have one in an NGC holder and tried to cross it unsuccessfully. I’ve actually got a write up in the works on the 1921 and 1922 proofs. The coin in CoinFacts was correctly in an NGC Satin Proof holder when it sold at Stacks for $69,000

It now resides in a PCGS Matte proof holder

As a result of this auction/crossover, I
    requested PCGS to put my NGC Satin into a PCGS Matte holder and they denied me.

Back to the OP coin- nice strike but not a proof- doesn’t have the characteristics.

• Options
    InditonkaInditonka Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    That's a superb strike, but there's something about the sheen on the surfaces that I don't like. In these photos, the coin looks to me like it's been cleaned or at least overdipped.

I think this as well, could see this coin as a market adjusted 58-62.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusted dies definitely give an unusual appearance. Lot of 25-S peace exhibit it.

I have been convinced a coin wasn’t cleaned and sent it in again, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Last time it took 1 retry and it also got a green bean.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a remarkable Peace dollar... One I would definitely keep as a collector specimen. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

MS65

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPRC, Thanks for the background on this coin and your thoughts. Personally, I LOVE it!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's a hammered Peace dollar. It does look a little glossy, which is probably why PCGS dinged it. Pity. Still a great coin.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on getting it appropriately graded. Still love that coin. Not that it really matters, but they should have given it a star for the strike, since it's not an ordinary MS63 1921 Peace dollar.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've really enjoyed reading this thread, and agree that "From Mine to Mint" is a great book. I don't like the look of that spot by the I on the obv as it looks almost corrosive and wonder if some conservation is called for?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 6:15AM

Interesting.. I had a 21 Peace with a similar sort of weird appearance that our hosts also labeled as cleaned. Wonder if this was the same situation.. I sold it cheap too.

Just noticed apparently it went through HA after I sold it.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1921-1-high-relief-cleaning-pcgs-genuine-unc-details-mintage-1-006-473-pcgs-7356-/a/132122-21754.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
    Congrats on getting yours into a 63 holder.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and interesting story. Thanks for sharing!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Heres mine. I want to post it here so I can see yours and mine in close proximity.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a sweet 21 Mr. Gumby.
    Your right it is interesting to see and compare because the OP’s 21 pretty sweet also.
    The satin proof is new info to me. Thanks
    Learning every day. How is your arm feeling gumby? Better I hope.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post @TPRC

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 5:20PM

@TPRC our coins are almost like twins except mine is raw. Its hard to find 21 peace with strong strikes. When I saw this one I had to buy it. I wasn't looking for one and never had a 21 before.
    @jzyskowski Arm is doing better. Range of motion will take time to get back.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I have no intention of selling it until I find one with a similar strike."

Good luck with that.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Very cool!

Roger is always great to communicate with over at the NGC boards.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I have ever seen a stronger strike. Cleaned or not I would treasure that example.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

That NGC photo is horrible. Makes the coin look circulated - I guess getting a photo in focus costs extra.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 8:56PM

Really nice coin. Roger knows a ton about this series. It is exceptionally rare for him to consider any Peace dollar, but especially the 21, as “well-struck”.

As for the details grade, there’s just something different about the quality of the luster of the 21 that isn’t like the rest of the series. Even in-hand it can be a tough call, but I think the OP’s coin looks a little “glossy” or like the original surfaces are a bit impaired. The NGC photos make it look severely polished. I agree that what looks like hairlines is mostly die-polish lines.

I have a somewhat similar coin that I've submitted once or twice and has come back from PCGS with the "cleaned" designation. Several dealers that I’ve shown it to also think it should be in a straight-grade holder. Maybe it will be, eventually:

• Options

I have a hunch that NGC used a LED ring light for that photo - I recognize the results from years ago when I used that lighting for photos. Makes everything just look bad.

@BryceM - That 1921 sure doesn't look cleaned to me.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Several years ago a well known dealer had a 21 Peace in a PCGS Details holder for a good price, maybe around 385$, online. Dealer changed his mind selling it to me, something about taking it with him to the Dallas show and a customer wanted to see it in hand. Minus the spot, it was pretty much the same strike.
    To this day I wish I had that coin and could care less about the Details label.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file