Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How about a guess the grade for this Peace dollar (Grade posted)

gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2022 6:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64+ for me. I think the strike weakness is enough to preclude a gem grade, though it may have one.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60

peacockcoins

• Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

au 58, maybe.

• Options
    CoinBlogCoinBlog Posts: 23 ✭✭

I'd give it a 62. The obverse is weak but the reverse is really nice.

CoinBlog.net

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC MS-64 (some sort of error, either LDS or die failure)

• Options
    InditonkaInditonka Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Something is up with the obverse, has to be noted on the insert. Id guess a 64 if it straight graded.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60 The poor strike eliminates and chance for a higher grade by my standards. I'd hate to be trying to sell that as a MS64.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure it will strait grade, but my guess would be AU 55/58

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

61, maybe a die trial strike?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Interesting coin. For a ‘24 this is exceptionally weakly struck. As others have said, it may have been a die adjustment strike.

As for grade, MS63 or 64.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through grease, maybe?? That's an exceptionally weak strike... I'll go with 63

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

61?

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

60 possibly 61.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

62, Obv. struck through grease, interesting...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think MS64, I'm not sure it would have gotten a gem grade with that strike.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

MS63 Strike Through.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing 62 and have others have said- struck though grease or just an exceptionally weak strike on the obverse. It’s an odd Peace dollar. Never seen anything like it.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 struck through grease

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea. Will guess 55

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a strange Peace Dollar... The obverse 'appears' to be as struck... the date and LIBERTY seem to attest to that.... however, the central design/hair details look worn or compressed (though no damage on the reverse), or weak due possibly to grease filled die. Any guess as to grade would be a complete guess.... I leave that one up to the experts. Hope to see some explanatory details from @CaptHenway or @FredWeinberg. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 5:42AM

Edited: I too am not going to make a call on this.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 5:54AM

This is a fun one! The coin appears to be essentially as-struck - clearly mint state. So I think that grades below 60 should be out of the question. But how much do you penalize the (mint state) grade, due to the conspicuous lack of detail?
    I’ll guess MS 63. And if not 63, I’d guess MS64, rather than 62 or lower.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because of the lack of detail on the obverse, MS60 in my book only because it's such a clean coin (without hits). The real question is would you even buy it?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-60, struck through grease.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

For those of you who grade the coin MS60 or 61, what grade would you have given it if it displayed multiple contact marks like those seen on many MS63 and 64 examples?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    For those of you who grade the coin MS60 or 61, what grade would you have given it if it displayed multiple contact marks like those seen on many MS63 and 64 examples?

I've been wondering the same thing. 60 and 61 are generally reserved for coins that are so beat up it's hard to look at them. I've got a PR61RB 1942 cent with hairlines over the entire surface, a massive fingerprint, and multiple carbon spots. That's what I think when I think of 61 - not this coin that has essentially mark free surfaces with the exception of the two on the reverse, and only the striking issue.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm TOO conservative! NGC graded this as a 64.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin for me. Maybe a 62/63? Hard to say with the lack of large hits but having very poor strike detail. I just wouldn't grade a coin lacking so much detail any higher.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

I guess I'm TOO conservative! NGC graded this as a 64.

But weak strikes are common with the 21.
    I have never seen a 24 like that though...

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it has been a couple of days, grade? @gtstang

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    MS-60, struck through grease.

To me the matte areas (hair, and along the rim especially near the tops of the letters LIBE) look like the classic case of original planchet texture showing through because the strike was insufficient for the die to make full contact in those areas. I think grease strike-throughs have a different texture. Also, the areas near the rim are high points on the die, and any grease in those areas would be immediately squeezed away by the strike.

Anyway, I give it a technical grade of MS63, although it would be a grade or two higher if the strike was better.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

As we say here at PC’SS, the Professional Coin ‘Splainin’ Service, “It depends.”
    Old, hardened grease reinforced with dirt and metal particles could probably change the surface texture of a planchet. Fresh, liquid grease might squirt out over a few strikes, but it might not have the body to change the surface of the planchet.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 max due to strike/pressure. I would only want it for curiosity purposes.

thefinn
  • Options

NGC has this graded at MS64 and struck through. I have seen quite a few struck through coins like this one being graded MS60 so I can see why some here said that.
    It definitely has mint luster and a good reverse strike with very few contact marks so MS64 seems appropriate in my opinion.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had said error attributed I would have guessed 64 ish based on luster and contract marks. It's almost gem but it can't be right?

• Options

ngc is hiring blind people now.

• Options

@silverbul said:

Why do you say this? The grade appears correct in many ways.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@silverbul said:

but not in all ways. jmo.

• Options

@silverbul said:

In addition to being in very poor taste, your remark indicates that you're unaware of how professional graders take mint-made attributes into account. And the poster who agreed with you also appears to be unaware.

• Options

@silverbul said:

@FlyingAl said:

@silverbul said:

In what way is NGC wrong?

• Options

@MFeld said:

@silverbul said:

In addition to being in very poor taste, your remark indicates that you're unaware of how professional graders take mint-made attributes into account. And the poster who agreed with you also appears to be unaware.

i'm sorry i hurt your feelings, didn't mean to trigger you but that's my opinion. you can disagree but keep insults to yourself. nobody wants to hear them.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@silverbul said:

@FlyingAl said:

@silverbul said:

In what way is NGC wrong?

Let me count the ways. For the ends of being and ideal grace. Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for right. still not ms64.

• Options

If it makes everybody happy, MAN THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL COIN. WISHED SOMEDAY I COULD OWN ONE JUST LIKE IT. I'M JEALOUS. NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I SEEN A MORE BEAUTIFUL COIN.

• Options

Lol @silverbul but no worries about how you feel on it. It's nothing that will make me or break me and everyone has a given right to their opinions but just was an interesting coin to post here.
    I guess from your pov that pcgs must of gotten this grade wrong too, because how can a coin with a crack like this grade 64?

• Options

MY OPINION. this coin LOOKS ms64, not because of the looks of the strike, but the luster, coin number 1. ONE does not posesse thisss. JUST MY OPINION................................

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file