Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

The 2021 Proof Set Has Been HIJACKED (Resolved At Last)

JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2022 9:48PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

No Modern Proof Set from 1957 to Present has a Top Spot that is nothing other than a PR70DCAM FDOI Label with Pop 1

RANK THE COIN - NOT THE LABEL

I have a 2021 American Innovation NC coin that is PR70DCAM

Simply having a label should not qualify as Top Rank - Only a Single Coin that is the finest known grade should earn +2 for Finest Grade

Search thru the Proof Sets - You will find No Other Example Of A Label That Earned Top Rank or +2 for the coin

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

Comments

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2022 6:54PM

NO coin should be given a .05 higher rating because of a label.
    There are no coins graded higher than a PR 70 DCAM.
    We do not grade labels, but only coins.
    Here is where a coin’s label identification creates a pop 1 coin and is awarded a plus .05 rating.
    If this ranking stands, then those who have the money to have a PR70DCAM COIN relabeled, it will
    always have a # 1 ATF set ranking with none equal.
    This will be so contagious for so many registry sets in losing ATF positioning.
    My new label will show that the coin was purchased at a local mom’s luncheon coin show and it will be a Pr 70 DCAM coin with a population of one earning a .05 increase in rating.
    Does a FDOI coin garner a higher rating value than a FIRST STRIKE COIN?
    A PROOF 70DCAM IS A PROOF 70 DCAM COIN NO MATTER WHAT LABEL IT HAS.
    You are opening Pandora’s box here.
    All registry sets that have the same identical grades must be awarded the same set values / rankings/ standings.
    See the 2021 Proof set listings for those who want to see what is being discussed here.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2022 6:54PM

If allowed to stand - the Pandora's Box will eliminate many possible PR70DCAM completed Sets from getting the 2022 Annual Award Icon

@JonJet said:
    If allowed to stand - the Pandora's Box will eliminate many possible PR70DCAM completed Sets from getting the 2022 Annual Award Icon

Grade PERFECT proof sets with all coins graded at PR70 DCAM.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I agree with the comments that this should not be allowed to stand as it creates even more of an unfair separation between the poor, the middle class, and the super rich.

Just my two cents.

• This has happens not only in the 2021 Proof set but also in the Presidential Dollars Set where the 2015-P Lyndon B. Johnson REV PR that does not have the First Strike designation and is the only example of this coin that doesn't have the first strike, labeled 'Base' in the pop report, gets the 0.5 point bonus. I guess that there may be some other examples.

Ranking of coins other than their grade is wrong. The plastic housing surrounding the coin may affect the price because it represents third party evaluations, but that does not change the coin or its grade.

I wrote to the folks who manage the Registry and they simply showed me the criteria that states any coin that has an n of 1 gets the bonus. It sucks.

Maybe our hosts will see this thread and make corrections.

I am not holding my breath.

There still exists a small issue with the Top Spot in ATF - but the Bonus has been removed

@JonJet said:
    There still exists a small issue with the Top Spot in ATF - but the Bonus has been removed

Several of the top 5 ATFs are in the wrong order.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

edited May 7, 2022 12:08PM

Yep I see that...still a small issue to resolve

The Top ATF Set needs to be put back in the spot it deserves...12th #1 Top Rank if I am not mistaken

There may be some additional corrective actions coming...I have noticed several Specialty Labels that have been included in a few Sets by mistake

Are You listening PCGS Set Registry?

1) A Label cannot earn a +2 Bonus for Single Finest Grade !!!
    2) A Label does NOT qualify for an added New Slot !!!

Grade the Coin only - and Respect The Grade !!!

I noticed the Rankings have reverted back to the proper order - after the Single Finest Bonus issue was resolved and now everyone is back in the correct order

Thanks Jon for your persistence in resolving these issues.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:
    Thanks Jon for your persistence in resolving these issues.
    Wayne

No problem...No worries

I have always been a keen observer of details...and corrections are easily explained when "The Experts" don't need to be consulted

This was obviously enough of an error that Paulina saw right thru it...and fixed it as She has done before

And the offender is down in his rightful spot again

edited June 3, 2022 10:19AM

Take a look at the 2020 mint set and tell me why the last 4 coins are part of this set.
    LOL G.W. Bush coins.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Prolly cuz the Pres Series continues 2 years after a Living President passes

@JonJet said:
    Prolly cuz the Pres Series continues 2 years after a Living President passes

Lol
    So we need to add him into an existing set until until his death meets the time limit even though he was not issued in the 2020 mint set.
    Will we remove him from this set when he does?
    Lets start a new registry set for presidents that are dead but do not meet the time requirements.
    Go get em Jon.
    You know that I am having fun here?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Stranger yet is the fact that both the Proof Sets I have for Pres Dollars...

Presidential Dollars with Major Varieties, Proof (2007-2016, 2020)
    Presidential Dollars, Proof (2007-2016, 2020)

1) Have different titles
    2) Contain the exact same number of coins
    3) Require the exact same coins
    4) Accept the exact same coins

If no Major Varieties exist - the Major Varieties Set is simply foolishness