Home U.S. Coin Forum

PRICE UPDATE: New Pics of my replacement CBH!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 6, 2023 10:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Lol. Today, I went to new horizons. While at the Central States Show, in Chicago (my hometown), I actually broke down and purchased 2 items I have never bought before.
One was a 1852 3 Cent Silver coin in a SEGS holder.
Then, a 1831 " doubled letters" Bust Half, raw.
The "doubled letters" on the rim, is what really sold me. It is a 501 variety!
These are very beautiful. Even in their current conditions.
I do realize about the SEGS holder. Being in that slab meant I got a decent discount. Thinking maybe down the line, I may break out and place in a PCGS holder? Maybe?
Anyway, I decided to add some true old class to my inventory. Lol. Whatcha guys think?
Thank You. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2022 11:02PM

I think they’re both nice pieces of history, but I also think both have been cleaned. I can’t imagine it being worth the cost of sending the 3CS to PCGS.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

History? Yes!

Attractive worthwhile examples? Meh.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

The Trime might or might not straight grade, but as @airplanenut mentioned, I can't believe it would be worth it, at all. I would think it would details grade, and wouldn't consider it at AU.

The Bust Half is pretty harshly cleaned, in my opinion. It appears to be an O-103, for reference, and this is a R1 (common) die marriage. Not sure what your comment about a 501 variety reference is pertaining to. While it is rather unusual for the entire edge lettering to be doubled (if that is indeed the case), my understanding they don't carry a large premium.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2022 10:11PM

Thank you both, guys.
    I guess, I should of first did my homework?
    Lol.
    Oh well, it was from free silver anyway!
    Meaning, from my silver CoinRollHunting, over $300+.
    :D

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

@pursuitofliberty said:
    History? Yes!

Attractive worthwhile examples? Meh.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

The Trime might or might not straight grade, but as @airplanenut mentioned, I can't believe it would be worth it, at all. I would think it would details grade, and wouldn't consider it at AU.

The Bust Half is pretty harshly cleaned, in my opinion. It appears to be an O-103, for reference, and this is a R1 (common) die marriage. Not sure what your comment about a 501 variety reference is pertaining to. While it is rather unusual for the entire edge lettering to be doubled (if that is indeed the case), my understanding they don't carry a large premium.

Here are the rim shots.

Thanks

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but if you think those are “show stoppers”, you should go to more shows.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm afraid these look like bad purchases to me unless they were very, very cheap. The 3 cent obverse has far too many marks for an acceptable AU. The half dollar looks cleaned.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old coins Joey... You are venturing into new territory - for you. It can become addicting. ;) Have fun... Cheers, RickO

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you had a good time at the show and were able to add a couple of coins to your collection that you would never find roll hunting. :)

If you are happy with them it doesn't matter what others think. If they end up being something you're no longer interested in you can always sell them, even if at a loss. After all, it's only money and we both know we can't take it with us.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wholesome type coins.
    Congratulations.

peacockcoins

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 10:25AM

@SonnyD said:
    Who cares what these snobs say.
    Enjoy your coins man.

ditto.

Also:
    The double edge lettering carries little to no premium.

I am one of the few who collect them, and I usually will pay no premium, or very little

Still, I think that they are neat.

Frank

BHNC #203

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coins, I love those tiny trimes!

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SonnyD said: Who cares what these snobs say.
    Enjoy your coins man

I don't think I'd characterize the negative comments as being made by "snobs" since they are from respected members of this forum. More to the point, the OP regularly asks for opinions and accepts them in the spirit they are given, honest and meant to be educational.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Trime…pretty sure it would cross, but I’d leave it as-is. Cool little piece!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1852 3 cent silver looks decent, but lots of hits for an AU50, so I would just leave it in the holder. The Capped bust half looks a little washed out, can't tell if it's been cleaned or not. VF30 on that one.

@tommy44 said:

... If they end up being something you're no longer interested in you can always sell them, even if at a loss. After all, it's only money and we both know we can't take it with us.

Thank you my friend. For the encouraging words and esp your advice!
    I know, people ate just voicing their opinions. In which, I don't mind. In this business or hobby, one has to take some hard criticism some time. Plus, sometimes they can be right, as well.
    In this case, I think they are.
    However, I went back to the show today. Met up with the same two tables I bought the two coins from. And you know what?
    One guy gave me all my money back, except $10. Which was really awesome!
    The other guy, only took a $30 profit.
    In which, was also cool!
    So in the end I only took a $40, loss. I did spend over $300 for both of them.
    So, which brings us to this magnificent point!
    I picked this treasure up for a little less what I got back.
    Now, whatcha guys think?
    Thank you, once again for your keen suggestion. Now, I'm really happy!

The Small 8

Better pics later...

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@tommy44 said:

... If they end up being something you're no longer interested in you can always sell them, even if at a loss. After all, it's only money and we both know we can't take it with us.

Thank you my friend. For the encouraging words and esp your advice!
    I know, people ate just voicing their opinions. In which, I don't mind. In this business or hobby, one has to take some hard criticism some time. Plus, sometimes they can be right, as well.
    In this case, I think they are.
    However, I went back to the show today. Met up with the same two tables I bought the two coins from. And you know what?
    One guy gave me all my money back, except $10. Which was really awesome!
    The other guy, only took a $30 profit.
    In which, was also cool!
    So in the end I only took a $40, loss. I did spend over $300 for both of them.
    So, which brings us to this magnificent point!
    I picked this treasure up for a little less what I got back.
    Now, whatcha guys think?
    Thank you, once again for your keen suggestion. Now, I'm really happy!

The Small 8

Better pics later...

Joey,

I think it’s great that you have as much fun as you do! Keep having fun!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins do you need a 7070 to start populating? I'll send you an old one free of charge if you want it :)
    These would be good coins for it, but good luck breaking that SEGS slab, they are practically indestructible.

Collector, occasional seller

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 1:22PM

I think the 1811 is a nice, wholesome, and original piece. Enough detail for everything to be there, and enough wear to show it spent real time in commerce. I like it.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

@ChrisH821 said:
    @joeykoins do you need a 7070 to start populating? I'll send you an old one free of charge if you want it :)
    These would be good coins for it, but good luck breaking that SEGS slab, they are practically indestructible.

Lol.
    Thanks, but I sent back the coin to its original owner.
    Bought a better one for the two I originally bought.
    Thanks

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the OP coins: I think AU50 was a bit optimistic, but I liked it as an XF album coin. As others have already said... probably would not have been worth the grading fees to keep it in plastic. The original Capped Bust 50c looked cleaned, but not bad for an album coin... again, not worth the fees for submission.

The new piece... 1811 CBH... has a nice cameo appearance to it. It is a little on the dark side for my tastes, but... it IS a 211 yo coin, and I'm glad you're excited about the newp! Happy Collecting!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you had a good time at the show, and got a couple of coins that make you happy.

Vplite99

Joey,

I love the fact that you have more fun collecting than most people do! I know I enjoy the hobby quite a bit, but your spirit can be infectious. My comments, while maybe taken harsh by some, were meant with the best intentions to you.

That said, I will hope we get some better pictures without the glare ... because from what I can tell ... I LOVE your new Bust Half!

Great date, and again, from what I can tell, it has a great, deeply toned look with honest wear and attractive surfaces. I can't quite tell what the attribution is because of the glare, but I hopeful it is what I think it is (which is NOT common).

Congrats! And keep having fun!!

Todd :)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good move on returning those original two and picking up the nice CBH.
    Also nice that you were able to return them with relatively little loss.
    I'm afraid you would have regretted buying them sooner than later.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Why, thank you ALL. In your heartfelt care.
    Really, all you guys rock! I mean, ALL!
    Even the ones that gave it to me.
    Yes, Chris8H21, really was the one that inspired me to replace them. Even if I did lose out in money a tad. I just took it a step further and decided to go back to the show and give it a shot to ask for mercy from the two sellers!
    Hey, it WORKED!
    Thanks again, guys
    B)

edited April 29, 2022 9:46PM

Better Pics

4 Different lighting Shots

The scratches are on the holder.

Joey, Not only does it look pretty wholesome and reasonable for the grade, I think you scored!

That certainly looks like the O-107, which is a solid R4 Die Marriage.

@jayPem What do you think?

Todd - BHNC #242
  • GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭

Gotta give you credit Joey. Really nice coin. If I took my ignorant ass to a coin show I'd probably be afraid to pull the trigger on anything, unless I knew exactly what I wanted going in. The "Silver King" and my hero ;)

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Joey, Not only does it look pretty wholesome and reasonable for the grade, I think you scored!

So looking at the Overton book, it does appear to match the Rev E.
    Obverse - I don't see the recut 1 for Obv 4-s2 or the date spacing for 81 slightly closer than 18 and 11 for Obv 4.
    So if the Rev E appears to match, then I looked at O-106. The Obv 5 notes that stars are drawn to edge. This matches. The date spacing appears to match the book picture. So I am guessing O-106.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:

I think I have to go with the 106
    The die crack across the top of the 5

@lilolme and @ jayPem

Well, we know it's one of the two ... 106 or 107, as they share the same Reverse Die. ;)

The star placements on the Obverse's are slightly different, as is the date, and looking again this morning, I think you are both right. My mistake. O-106 appears to be the right call.

Todd - BHNC #242
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doh, oops here with same Rev..😄
    These two are close for sure, but the first 1 in the date sits a little higher than the 8

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

The updated pics with better lighting make the coin appear a lot less dark than I initially thought... nice score! ...and an R-4 to boot! Congrats!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Thank you, all.
    Thanks for commenting (good or bad) and thanks for dissecting my coin like a frog in a chemistry class!
    Awesome information, I did not know.
    :)

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Thank you, all.
    Thanks for commenting (good or bad) and thanks for dissecting my coin like a frog in a chemistry class!
    Awesome information, I did not know.
    :)

LOL you can definitely expect to get that here!

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Trime would straight grade, those type 1 Trimes almost never look very nice. I never knew why, until a thread about them on this forum explained it. I think it was Bill Jones that gave a great explanation. After that I gave up trying to find a nice toned one to match my Type 3 and went for a grey O mint one in AU55 that doesn’t look much better than the one in this post

Mr_Spud

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done returning those, and kudos to those dealers buying them back from you.

The second set of photos of the 1811 are great, it’s a very nice coin!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price paid for the amount of fun received is beyond worth it.
    Disneyland is now over $200. per ticket (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/ticket-prices/)
    You had tons more fun at a fraction of the price and didn't even have to wait in line.
    Plus, instead of a sunburn and a tummy ache, you have something to show for it.

peacockcoins

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I think the Trime would straight grade, those type 1 Trimes almost never look very nice. I never knew why, until a thread about them on this forum explained it. I think it was Bill Jones that gave a great explanation. After that I gave up trying to find a nice toned one to match my Type 3 and went for a grey O mint one in AU55 that doesn’t look much better than the one in this post

The Type 1 Trimes were made from 750 fine silver while the Type 2 and 3 Trimes were made with 900 fine silver. The difference in appearance is noticeable which may be why the mint changed the composition for the later issues.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins, Joey. I really like the 1811 half, and the little 3 center has honest wear. Enjoy!

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I see the 2nd set of images of the 1811 Bust half, I feel a little better. :)

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
    edited May 1, 2022 9:00PM

My new best coin!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the record, I think that the Silver Three Cent piece is okay. The parallel lines might be roller marks. The half dollar has had some work done on it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited January 6, 2023 11:12AM

# An UPDATE:
    I paid $250 for the CBH 1811 small letters PCGS V20 @ the ANA Chicago show last year.
    Today, it leaped to a value of $400!
    Amazing!
    Sure, I realize it's just a Guide.
    Still, huge jump to my favor.
    https://www.pcgs.com/pricehistory#/?=6097-20

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file