Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Society of U.S. Commemorative Coins and The Commemorative Trail Journal

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 12, 2022 5:12AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Is there such a thing?

UPDATE: This thread was originally titled "Classic Commemorative Collectors Society" but has been updated with new information :+1:

Comments

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was some years ago.

It went silent a couple years after Helen Carmody passed. You may want to try and obtain a copy of their journals, The Commemorative Trail.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2022 8:54AM

@BustDMs said:

It went silent a couple years after Helen Carmody passed. You may want to try and obtain a copy of their journals, The Commemorative Trail.

Ah very cool. John Kraljevich mentioned Helen in the awe-inspired by meeting a famous numismatist thread.

I found the text of Issues 13 and 14 here. I'll need to see if I can track down some PDFs.

https://archive.org/stream/commemorativetra13n1soci/commemorativetra13n1soci_djvu.txt

Still need to find more information about this group.

• Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

Not all of the issues are listed on NNP but you can view quite a few.
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/529176

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options

@78saen said:
    Not all of the issues are listed on NNP but you can view quite a few.
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/529176

Very nice source for archived issues of the Society for U.S. Commemorative Coins.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2022 4:26AM

@BustDMs said:

I just found more information on Helen and was impressed by her accomplishments:

Past ANA V.P. Helen Carmody-Lebo dies

Helen Carmody-Lebo, immediate past vice president of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), died in an apartment fire today in Huntington Beach, California. Her husband, Jerry Lebo, was at their other home in Indiana at the time of the fire. Arrangements for a memorial service are pending.

"The numismatic hobby and the ANA lost a great friend today," says ANA President H. Robert Campbell. "To know anything about this hobby and its spirit is to know Helen and what she did for us all. On behalf of the 30,000 members of the ANA, I express our deepest condolences to Jerry, Helen's mother and her brother. She was a loyal friend to everyone and will be remembered always."

Carmody-Lebo, 62, was first elected to the ANA Board of Governors in 1993 and served three terms before being elected vice president in 1999. Last August, Carmody-Lebo stepped down from the Board, citing health reasons. According to friends, her health was improving and she was beginning to resume some of her activities.

Joining the ANA in 1983, Carmody-Lebo was Life Member 3170. Her formal introduction to numismatics was through her first husband, Don Carmody, an active and gregarious coin dealer. He died on October 2, 1994. She was a founding member of the Society of U.S. Commemorative Coins; she served the latter as president and editor of its award-winning journal, The Commemorative Trail.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2022 5:11AM

I was a member from 1986 to 1993 and have all the issues for 1991-1993 handy.

Doing an email search, I also bought huge 40+ copy group lot of issues spanning from 1985-1999 which are boxed up in storage.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2022 5:15AM

Thanks for the info @BustDMs and @78saen @Broadstruck :+1:

I've updated the thread title to celebrate the numismatic society and journal :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file