PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 2:55PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited January 20, 2022 7:42PM

Did they produce less same crowns vs different crowns? Is the same crowns more in demand with collectors than the different crown version?

• Options

Anyone?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 7:17AM

This information can be found in Gilboy and most likely in the new Yonaka book you just ordered. But off the top of my head, 1854 had both the left pillar crown design change (royal replaced by imperial) and an assayer initials change. Not to mention additional over-date and over-assayer varieties for that year. Some are scarcer than others and Gilboy gives relative rarity for each based on his research. Yonaka probably does, as well, but i haven't received his book yet. Would be interesting to compare between the two as Brad in this day and age had a lot more information / examples at his disposal than Frank did pre-2000's.

I think some people are hesitant to respond to your questions for two reasons: 1. this information is easily available if one searches for it first; 2. the amount of questions you ask vs informational posts you make sharing insights you've gained from all the books you've been reading is heavily skewed towards the former.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2022 2:31PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    This information can be found in Gilboy and most likely in the new Yonaka book you just ordered. But off the top of my head, 1854 had both the left pillar crown design change (royal replaced by imperial) and an assayer initials change. Not to mention additional over-date and over-assayer varieties for that year. Some are scarcer than others and Gilboy gives relative rarity for each based on his research. Yonaka probably does, as well, but i haven't received his book yet. Would be interesting to compare between the two as Brad in this day and age had a lot more information / examples at his disposal than Frank did pre-2000's.

I think some people are hesitant to respond to your questions for two reasons: 1. this information is easily available if one searches for it first; 2. the amount of questions you ask vs informational posts you make sharing insights you've gained from all the books you've been reading is heavily skewed towards the former.

Thanks I leave the answering to questions on the boards to you veterans I am no longer a rookie but still not close to at all to what some here have knowledge wise gained in over a decade of collecting. I ask about this coin but will wait for my new book to arrive I don't own the Gilboy book never located one for sale in over a year and now that Yonaka has his book out I will not buy the Gilboy book.

I have most information I need but lack the in-dept info on the Mexican 8 reales from 1732-1771. Hence why I was so looking forward for Brad's new book since this is the series I collect from Mexico. I also collect pillars from Peru, Guatemala and so on but my main focus is the Mexican series that will take me a life time to ''complete''.

• Options

And sometimes the more you read the more questions you have. Same in almost any field that is why you need veterans for those type of questions otherwise they would not be answered on ones own.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

1754's are a bit involved, as TwoKopeiki relayed.
    Brads breakdown of the 1754's is covered over four pages and includes a diagram, as a picture is worth a thousand words.

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:
    1754's are a bit involved, as TwoKopeiki relayed.
    Brads breakdown of the 1754's is covered over four pages and includes a diagram, as a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks book should arrive next week so will analyze the data on the entire 8 reales series.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2022 2:50PM

As mentioned it is one thing to have say a bachelor's degree in a field of study versus having a PHD with many many years of practice.

I try to get better informed but sometimes without a ''teachers'' input your left lost. That is why the guidance on this forum is so important hopefully one day I will be the one helping a new generation of collectors but that day has not arrived.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar
    Sent you a PM that will help you get you on your way.
    When your book arrives you'll be golden.

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:
    @KingOfMorganDollar
    Sent you a PM that will help you get you on your way.
    When your book arrives you'll be golden.

Truly appreciate you taking your time to help out take care.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

The 1754 Mo MM crowns alike is an exceptionally scarce coin to locate. And beware, there are altered MFs out there trying to take advantage of the huge price difference. The new Yonaka book is excellent and is a must for any collector (as are his earlier books. But you still need Gilboy or Brad's earlier book to cover the other mints.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

PM sent to KingofMorganDollars

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 5:45PM

I only have one of the not-so-rare ones. 1754 MF with different crowns. KM 104.2, Calico-335

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there are four, nasty looking, same crowns on eBay right now.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2022 6:50PM

Just find it to be a interesting date and historical coin. I asked because there seems to be 500 of each kind graded total by NGC. Was wondering why some paid more for the same crown version if they are equal in rarity based on those stats. I will wait to get Brad's new book and study them.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2022 2:55PM