Home Sports Talk
Options

the official sports betting thread -- enter at your own risk

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2022 7:00AM in Sports Talk

i assume this is an acceptable thread to start since gambling is discussed ad nauseam not only here, but seemingly every time i watch a sporting event on television. you know we're living in different times when i'm watching a golf tournament and the odds for a player to win are flashed on the screen after he makes a putt. first time i saw that i was incredulous.

but i digress.

thought it might be fun to house all of the degenerates in one centralized location, and even more fun for the non-degens to watch us degens go down in flames. i had some early-season success but haven't parked any money on a game since about week 5 or 6. but it is now the playoffs, thus it's time to dust off the s-book account and see if some more magic can be created from now until Feb when the Pittsburgh Steelers win the Super Bowl. just making sure everyone is paying attention.

not one to be followed, i deposited $500 and immediately parked 20% on a sucker bet -- a multi-team parlay. all it takes is one unexpected outcome in a season chock-full of unexpected outcomes. what could possibly go wrong here?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an ebay spending degenerate, I'm about to spend $500 on a card, so even though I'm not a gambling degenerate, I'm still a degenerate.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it except I really think AZ is going to beat the Rams but I’m a loser this season so probably best for you that I think that.

Hope you win bud 🍻

I got the over in Cincy/Raiders, Pittsburgh +12, Bills, and TOMPA

I also got the over Cincy/Raiders, Chiefs, TOMPA and Pats +4.5 and under

• Options

I'm a small time bettor in the playoffs. I save my cash for multiple Super Bowl bets. My favorite SB bet is "Who will score the first TD in the game?". Got that right three years in a row now.

I've got the Pats (+4) for $20, Tampa Bay (-9) for $80 and Dallas (-3) for $100. We'll see what happens!

• Options

@perkdog said:

I like it except I really think AZ is going to beat the Rams

i would gladly eat $100 for this outcome, even if i drill the first 3 legs

but i can't see it happening. Arizona is nosediving and they're hurt. the big, bad, big-name Rams are playing in their pricey playpen with their crappy food. if you are right (and again i hope you are), it'll mean a few things:

1) the diminutive QB i have been touting went berserk and played his ass off

2) Stafford was a huge mistake

3) the Rams are the biggest posers in the playoffs

gl luck to you, mistertim and anyone else who mixes it up this weekend

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2022 11:56AM

@perkdog said:
    I like it except I really think AZ is going to beat the Rams but I’m a loser this season so probably best for you that I think that.

Hope you win bud 🍻

I got the over in Cincy/Raiders, Pittsburgh +12, Bills, and TOMPA

I also got the over Cincy/Raiders, Chiefs, TOMPA and Pats +4.5 and under

McVay has Kingsburys # just like Shanahan has McVays #. I just can’t take Arizona late in the season.
    Edit to add Rams are 9-1 in their last 10 games against the Cardinals. Yikes!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

My Saturday picks are in. Just got back from Bossier City. Played about hold ‘em for about 45 minutes. Bought in for my usual $300. 3rd hand I got pocket Q’s and the seat next to me raised preflop. 3 came along. Flop came Q, 8, blank. Pre raiser bet he had KK. I just called and another came along. Another blank on the turn and K’s bet big. I called and 3rd player raised pushing me all in. Kings came along. River was another 8. Wish I had bought in for more because third player had Q8 for a full house. I still took down a $900 + pot. Played around a bit and walked away $600 +.
    So it was time to bet with other peoples money. I made wagers for the whole super wildcard weekend but here’s Saturdays.

2 team teaser for 50
    Bengals even
    Bills +2.5

Bills -3.5 for 250

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you guys win all your bets. Its always sweet to come up a winner, especially if you are involved with exciting games, like last Monday's college football championship game. I had the Dawgs, but it was a bit sketchy in the 1st half.

My buddy is going back to Vegas in Feb, so he decided to pay my ticket up front for me. Won $133.35 on a $200 bet, nice win.

GL all!!

• Options

Nice win and good luck @2dueces and good luck @galaxy27 & @MisterTim1962 as well

Let’s all make some money and enjoy the games!! 🍻

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't bet. I'd say good luck to all, except that it looks like there are a lot of you picking the Pats to lose. Or to cover. I need them to do more than cover. I need the win.

• Options

very nice day dueces

stacking the Bucs & Chiefs tomorrow

• Options

Looks like the weather won’t be a factor in Tampa. I’m on my way to Bossier to play a holdem tournament. I’m waiting to the last minute for the Tampa game.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@perkdog and @thisistheshow
    I know the season didn’t end the way you’d have liked but congratulations on a nice turn around from last year. 18 other teams would have taken a 10-7 and the playoffs.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Weather won’t be as big a factor as hoped in the Eagles game so I’m sticking with the ticket from yesterday
    2 team teaser for 50
    Eagles +15.5
    49ers +9

I’ve got a ticket for the 49ers game

W.C.Fields
  • Options

The weather was good, the Eagles weren’t.
    I got knocked out of my tournament so I’ll be home in time to watch the Cowboys get knocked out of the playoffs.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I’m sticking with my small wager on the weekend upset.
    49ers -3 for 25

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Weather won’t be as big a factor as hoped in the Eagles game so I’m sticking with the ticket from yesterday
    2 team teaser for 50
    Eagles +15.5
    49ers +9

Looks like a failed 2 point conversion costs me that teaser

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2022 2:22PM

@2dueces said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser for 50
    Eagles +15.5
    49ers +9

Eagles converted their 2. They kicked an XP on their first TD. Not sure it makes you feel any better :#

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@2dueces said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser for 50
    Eagles +15.5
    49ers +9

Eagles converted their 2. They kicked an XP on their first TD. Not sure it makes you feel any better :#

m

Doh! My bad. I can’t see how I can bet. I can’t add. Lmao

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I lost the over bet in the TOMPA game.

I got TOMPA, Dallas and KC money line AND TOMPA, Dallas and Pittsburgh +12.5

Hoping I can smash the middle in that KC/Pitt Game.

All for not if Dallas doesn’t win though

• Options

win-win game tonight for moi

if the Los Angeles Hydrants win, $$$

if the Cards win, Kyler vs. Tom next weekend baby

• Options

This is a tough one for me. But I’m taking the Rams -3.5 just because McVay has Kingsburys #.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

21-O Rams, well that was embarrassing way to go down another TD. Junior high are we?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

up $273.01

just looked at the lines for next weekend's games and felt very little

seriously, look at these freaking matchups

idk about you guys, but i'm gonna need some time this week before i do anything

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    up $273.01

Agree 100%. The only game I’m absolutely sure of is Buffalo. If the offenses are even, Buffalos defense allows 100 yards less than Kansas City and 5 points less. Buffalo rushing is actually better than KC. I think the wrong team is favored.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2022 4:23PM

@2dueces said:

@galaxy27 said:
    up $273.01

Agree 100%. The only game I’m absolutely sure of is Buffalo. If the offenses are even, Buffalos defense allows 100 yards less than Kansas City and 5 points less. Buffalo rushing is actually better than KC. I think the wrong team is favored.

i'll be rooting you on for this one. personally, this is one of the toughest games to handicap in recent memory. look at the line, take away the home field adjustment and sure enough -- it's basically a pick 'em. i have absolutely, positively no feel for who is going to win this game. a true degenerate would then bet just for the sake of betting, but i can't even bring myself to do that.

i'm just going to sit back & enjoy

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've placed my wager on the Chiefs/Bills game.
    Purchased a Mahomes rookie card after the Steelers game.
    And I have 3 or 4 Josh Allen rookie cards purchased a couple years ago.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Tough games this week. I think I will try some prop bets rather than take full game action.

Bills vs KC is the game of the weekend in my opinion

• Options

@Darin said:

Awesome. I know Mahomes cards soared after his SB Victory. I’m hoping you and I have the same experience with Allen.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

Awesome. I know Mahomes cards soared after his SB Victory. I’m hoping you and I have the same experience with Allen.

Allen is still my SECOND favorite QB. :p
    If the Bills beat the Chiefs I definitely will be rooting for them to win it all.

One thing about the wild card weekend. Kyler Murray had a chance to step up and show he belonged
    in a discussion about the best young quarterbacks in the game. But he took a step backward.
    The one who has really stepped up the last few regular season games and wild card weekend
    was Joe Burrow. I don't discredit Herbert any for not getting into the playoffs since it was his coach who kept them out.
    So the 4 young guns are still all in the AFC, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and Herbert. I think Lamar Jackson
    being injured most of the year knocks him down to second tier with Kyler. Lamar not that great before he got injured anyway.
    So I would be a buyer of rookie cards of any of the 4 AFC young guns, if a good deal can be found.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Rule number one in betting is to bet with your head, not your heart. KC at home will win this one with ease. Sorry, but the Bills season is over in a few days.

• Options

Burrow is going to be elite

• Options

The AFC is in fine shape for many years to come. Don’t know if I can say the same for the NFC. They have some great QB’s, 2 at the top of the list but the age is a factor.
    AFC
    Joe Burrow
    Patrick Mahomes
    Justin Herbert
    Josh Allen

Lamar Jackson
    Mac Jones— I’m giving him the benefit of being an upcoming rookie

NFC Top tier under 30??
    Maybe’s
    Justin Fields rookie
    Kyler Murray

Of course the conference has
    Brady
    Rodgers
    Stafford
    Cousins
    Ryan

5 years down the road the NFC better draft we’ll to keep up with the young talent in the AFC.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

We do squares for the bowl at our local watering hole. I'll throw a couple hundy at it.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Tough games this week. I think I will try some prop bets rather than take full game action.

I mentioned here a few months ago that I had a feeling that Brady would be retiring after this season. I can still see it. I'd bet on this... lol

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I mentioned here a few months ago that I had a feeling that Brady would be retiring after this season. I can still see it. I'd bet on this... lol

It will be interesting for sure, I mean he just had an MVP season so who knows

• Options

speaking of bets, if I ever lose one to anyone here, this is how I plan to pay up

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ian-poulter-lee-westwood-soccer-bet-arsenal

• Options

laying all of last week's profit on the Pack to win

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    speaking of bets, if I ever lose one to anyone here, this is how I plan to pay up

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ian-poulter-lee-westwood-soccer-bet-arsenal

😂😂😂😂

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Damn, the ML downside is the betting $273 to win $108, I do think you got a winner though.

I was actually thinking about taking the points with SF but really Green Bay should carve them up

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    The AFC is in fine shape for many years to come. Don’t know if I can say the same for the NFC. They have some great QB’s, 2 at the top of the list but the age is a factor.
    AFC
    Joe Burrow
    Patrick Mahomes
    Justin Herbert
    Josh Allen

Hmm... I think Justin Herbert has only just started, dude is a total gamer, 2 more years, watch out. He has brains and an arm, most of his throws that are incompletes are bc the receivers can't catch something thrown so hard, so once that is resolved............... He is going to be better than Burrow, equal to Mahomes minimum.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:

Uh oh, I sense trouble.
    Just a feeling but I think the Packers are soft and are ripe for an upset. San Fran is playing as good as anyone right now.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

@Darin said:

@galaxy27 said:

Uh oh, I sense trouble.
    Just a feeling but I think the Packers are soft and are ripe for an upset. San Fran is playing as good as anyone right now.

If Bosa is playing or not is a big difference

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@galaxy27 said:

Uh oh, I sense trouble.

If Deebo wasn't playing I would be very concerned, I believe him to be the X factor that the Pack won't have an answer for.
    Yes edge rushers are important but usually don't decide the outcome of games.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2022 5:42PM

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@galaxy27 said:

Uh oh, I sense trouble.

If Deebo wasn't playing I would be very concerned, I believe him to be the X factor that the Pack won't have an answer for.
    Yes edge rushers are important but usually don't decide the outcome of games.

Well the pressure he gives can disrupt the timing of throws, Warner is back at practice so that’s a plus for SF

Samuel is a handful for sure

• Options
    edited January 20, 2022 12:56PM

Ok I need to read this thread again. I’m planning on some parlay bets, like the 2-300 dollar variety. I’m not 100% sure but I am starting to get an itchy trigger finger

• Options

I had a near perfect Super Wildcard weekend I’m almost afraid to wager a dollar on any game until Sunday night. On a roll for a gambler means the bottom is near again

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2022 3:22PM

@Darin said:

Uh oh, I sense trouble.

if Jimmy Garoppolo -- who tried his very best to end his team's season in the 2nd half last week -- goes up to Lambeau and outplays Aaron Rodgers in his house........in his climate........with his team completely rested........then i deserve to eat it and be sent back to square one

it'll be a very easy pill to swallow bc it's a bet i'd make every day of the week and twice on Sunday. the only reason i didn't act earlier is because i was contemplating whether or not to mess with the point spread. i decided against it

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Although I'm a "baseball guy" at heart, I've been following the NFL closely this year and making modest bets (anywhere from 50 bucks to 200 bucks). I'm happy to say "it's been fun" -- and I'm even happier to say that I'm ahead by $200 -- whoopee! ;-)

I decided to bet my 200-dollar profit on the Packers to win the SB -- I'll collect a total of $900 (200 + 700) if Packers win SB.

Today, I made an impulsive 200-dollar bet on one of the games this weekend -- LA Rams at Tampa Bay Bucs. I'm just so sure (probably foolishly) that the Rams will win -- yep, I'm betting against Tom (the GOAT) Brady! If the Rams are fortunate enough to win, I'll get a payout of 446 bucks (for my 200).

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got in on a $100/square board last night. They had 2 $250/square boards already full and were working on the hundy one. Payout every score change for $300 and then whoever gets the the last score of the game gets the balance. For the CFB they did a $250 sheet and the end guy wound up with 16k.

There will be the regular 2/5/10 ones coming and I'll get in on all of those as well.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2022 12:32PM

I’m going to make my picks early so I don’t 2nd guess myself. I went 5-1 wagering last week. 5-0 after Philly and big on the bills. I’m going to breakdown the whys
    Tennessee-3.5
    Vrabel is 12-1 after a bye and the Bengals OL is the 20th ranked OL in football.
    Green Bay-5.5 Green Bay is 20-3 in their last 23 home games. Jimmy G is good for 2 bad Jimmy G plays a game.
    Tampa-3.5 Tom Brady is 20-1 in divisional home games.
    Buffalo +2. Bills #1 defense and Josh Allens threat of running and his legs are the difference. The Bills will stop Mahomes enough times to win. Kansas City will have 2 or more turnovers. Easily the best and most confident bet of the weekend.

Of course who’s winning and what I’m wagering are 2 different animals.

2 team teaser for 50
    Titans+2.5
    49ers +11.5

2 team teaser for 50
    Rams +9
    Bills +8.5

Buffalo-2.5 for 100

W.C.Fields