Home U.S. Coin Forum

$9 for these large cents? OK... More photos added.

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2021 10:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

These were all together in a bargain bin at a local shop.
I saw this dateless Liberty Cap hiding in there... I'm curious, can the date be identified in this condition?
Maybe with better photos? The reverse is slick as can be...

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... That reverse is totally gone....Likely pareidolia, but I imagine I see a 7.. and in 17xx.... Cheers, RickO

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marshall may be able to assist.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one with the "44" was probably used as a repair check.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

repair check? What's that?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:

@291fifth said:

repair check? What's that?

It is similar to what a shoe repair shop might give when you drop off a pair of shoes to be repaired. Metal "checks" like this were apparently quite common in the late 19th and early 20th century. It was probably cheaper to use large cents for this purpose than to buy commercially available tokens. It is also possible this example's use predates the availability of commercially available tokens.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 6:39AM

Libery cap is 1797 ?

It cant be but sure looks like it from the angle of date

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the flowing hair cent to be a 1794. I feel I see the 4. Then pareidolia can be a fooler.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking I see a "4" where the date should be, but my first inclination from Ms. Liberty's profile was 1795...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 9:47AM

@lkenefic said:
    I'm thinking I see a "4" where the date should be, but my first inclination from Ms. Liberty's profile was 1795...

Without checking the reference books, that was my thought.

It can’t be a ‘97, as the design was changed to the draped bust midway through 1796.

OP- is it a thin non-lettered edge, or thick lettered edge planchet? That will narrow it down further

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@Walkerguy21D said:

@lkenefic said:

Without checking the reference books, that was my thought.

It can’t be a ‘97, as the design was changed to the draped bust midway through 1796.

OP- is it a thin non-lettered edge, or thick lettered edge planchet? That will narrow it down further

I will have to triple check when I get home but I believe it is thin and non-lettered.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

All culls, but if it was $9 for all then I think you did great.

You might be able to nail down the 179x coin, and then the counterstamped one is worth a few or several dollars on ebay.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    All culls, but if it was $9 for all then I think you did great.

You might be able to nail down the 179x coin, and then the counterstamped one is worth a few or several dollars on ebay.

almost worth trying to spend them.... is an old US coin with a hole through it still considered 'legal tender'? For that matter, is a modern shield cent 'legal tender'? Must it be accepted?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure that smoeone from the EAC will be able to identify the date and die variety of the 179x . You got a good bargain with this purchase. Smoeone will give you more than $9 for that coin alone. Even the beat up 1837 and 1839 bring more then $1 each on eBay. Holed coins maybe not so much but still worth a $ per or more.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will have to triple check when I get home but I believe it is thin and non-lettered.

If that's the case, then I'm guessing it's a '96. The 'L' appears to be away from the cap, so if that's the case and it's not just an illusion or obliviation, and given the position of RTY, none of the plain edge thin planchet '95 coins match that.

Then I'd narrow it down to S84 - S87, which also says "pole weak near throat", which this appears to show. They all share the same obverse but different reverse, so I can't get any further.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have paid $9 for those.

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could easily double your money - lol

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like cull large cents. No holes though. I always pick them up when they a priced right. My first coin that I found was a large cent......I was a little kid.....I think that explains it......I like them!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see TATE on your first photo of the reverse, so it's not completely flat.
    Maybe nothing useful for reverse attribution, though.

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good deal, Meltdown! 👍

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

"$9 for these large cents?"

I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough, I think you did good.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup at that price.

mirabela
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where else could you have this much fun for 9 bucks ?
    Neat lot !

edited December 3, 2021 10:46AM

@Walkerguy21D said:

If that's the case, then I'm guessing it's a '96. The 'L' appears to be away from the cap, so if that's the case and it's not just an illusion or obliviation, and given the position of RTY, none of the plain edge thin planchet '95 coins match that.

Then I'd narrow it down to S84 - S87, which also says "pole weak near throat", which this appears to show. They all share the same obverse but different reverse, so I can't get any further.

Here's some better, different angles. I appreciate the help!

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1850 with hole through the middle would look good on my hoop!

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great deal for$9. Dateless/smoothy Liberty Caps go for surprising prices on eBay (lets just say well over your $9 investment)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing 1795

edited December 3, 2021 12:19PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I'm seeing 1795

In Walkerguys photo and also on coinfacts, the 5 touches the bust.
    I think you'd see a piece of that on mine if it was 1795.

edited December 3, 2021 1:38PM

@Meltdown said:

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I'm seeing 1795

In Walkerguys photo and also on coinfacts, the 5 touches the bust.
    I think you'd see a piece of that on mine if it was 1795.

There's that, and the weakly struck pole near the neck also is more consistent with 1796...

S-84 to S-87 (see Walkerguy's comment above) ...

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 4:28PM

No. Not even that.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • retirednowretirednow Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee ... I just paid 4$ for a ball marker. (GOLF) .... a little thick but you would have 9 and a topic of discussion on the course ... most people have never heard or seen a large cent piece before

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file