Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Small Peace Dollar Collection. Had #7 all along!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2021 3:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Yes, although not many (for now), here are my first 4, of many more to come. #4 ROCKS!
Thanks guys. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options

#5 is Coming!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number four is very, very nice..... Peace Dollars are great coins.... under appreciated IMO... except for the 1921 and the centennial fever. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

You disappoint me. I thought you had some small peace dollars... :D

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Number four is very, very nice..... Peace Dollars are great coins.... under appreciated IMO... except for the 1921 and the centennial fever. Cheers, RickO

Number 4 is very nice, but isn't really part of the series...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2021 1:54PM

My first "S" mint Peace.

Better photos later. Thanks guys

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 1:59PM

I see you have the bug! The stupid things are addictive. :)

I did something very similar to what you are doing. I started with raw album finds and random eBay purchases. After making plenty of mistakes I eventually moved to the slabbed 63-64 range. Eventually I had a set of 24 mint-state coins. Over the next several years each was upgraded, usually multiple times. I learned a lot along the way, but it probably wasn't the most economical way to end up with a great set. I did that in a rising market, so that eased much of the transaction costs of upgrading.

Have you defined the eventual goal? While I like the coins you are showing, I think with a little knowledge and looking you could do better. Of the ones you've shared, I think the 22-S is the best so far. That's a tough coin to find nice. Please keep sharing! It's fun to watch and the enthusiasm is infectious.

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with everything BryceM said.

I also started off collecting raw coins. Finally sent some in for grading. Learned a lot from that lesson about what NOT to collect. Starting collecting slabbed coins in the low 60's and upgraded over a decade to a set all 64 and 65 coins.

Sold the set off a few years after "finishing" it. Moved on to other sets for a while.
    Now I am back to the Peace Dollars putting together another complete set. Doing it all over again. This time I am taking my time and looking for the right coin the first time, not just a hole filler.

Since there is only 24 coins in a complete set it is fairly easy to put a set together but can take years to put together a set where all of the coins have the "Look" you are going for.

Good Luck and enjoy whatever you collect!

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options

Larry Shapiro told me you could put together a nice set of well-matched Morgans (say top 20 in the registry) in 6-12 months. To do the same in Peace dollars he said it would be more like a 2-3 year endeavor. I always thought that was interesting food for thought.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 3:07PM

After checking the value for this 22s, in a ms 63, it should be worth well over $100? To me, it seems a bargain what I paid, $70, is it not? Seriously contemplating cracking out and dipping it, then sending it to our Host? Thoughts? Thanks

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not crack it out.For coins at this price level find a coin you like in the holder you prefer.imo

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 3:11PM

No, no, no!

Well, you can if you want, but don't be surprised if the coin comes back in a problem holder or at a lower grade. Even if it goes perfectly, at the end of it all, you've spent 1/2 of the value of the coin trying to make it into something it isn't. If it made financial sense to monkey with the coin and pay additional grading fees, the guy who sold it to you would probably have already tried it. FAR easier to just buy the one you want to start with. $70 is an OK price for this coin. The stuff in the left field is problematic and no amount of messing with the coin will change that.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 3:21PM

@BryceM said:
    No, no, no!

Well, you can if you want, but don't be surprised if the coin comes back in a problem holder or at a lower grade. Even if it goes perfectly, at the end of it all, you've spent 1/2 of the value of the coin trying to make it into something it isn't. If it made financial sense to monkey with the coin and pay additional grading fees, the guy who sold it to you would probably have already tried it. FAR easier to just buy the one you want to start with. $70 is an OK price for this coin. The stuff in the left field is problematic and no amount of messing with the coin will change that.

Lol. It's just maybe, my positive thinking, the coin could make the 64 plateau. If that should happen, esp. after the dip. Even after the $25 grading fee. Two achievements. In the PCGS holder and if it hits the 64. The value would push near the $200+ range? Remember, I only paid $70. Worth a shot?
    Thanks! :)

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you practiced with raw dollars to see what will happen and what won't happen when you dip a coin?
    Sometimes you get good results and sometimes you don't. If you don't rinse properly, it may look ok now but will turn ugly.
    Maybe make a want list and post it. I have some listed on bst now and have others I haven't listed also.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 3:39PM

@joeykoins said:
    Worth a shot?

No, in my opinion. The fact that you paid $70 does not mean you got a great deal. How much you paid, in fact, is irrelevant.

• Options

Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions.
    I really appreciate that. ;)

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent start! Looking forward to seeing the rest as your pick them up.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• Options

@moursund said:
    Number 4 is very nice, but isn't really part of the series...

That's debatable? :*

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition. I am with most leave this one alone.
    As always I respect your choice. Post the pictures. 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 4:19PM

@BryceM said:

...The stuff in the left field is problematic and no amount of messing with the coin will change that.

Oh my! I do now see where you're talking about. That's pretty alarming. You may be correct to leave as is. Just solely based on that area? Thanks :#

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 4:17PM

@joeykoins said:

My first "S" mint Peace.

Dang, if it wasn't for those marks and adding more luster that would be an easy MS65!

peacockcoins

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice and frosty which makes the luster grazes stand out more.
    I like the long de crack on it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@jughead1893 said:
    Do not crack it out.For coins at this price level find a coin you like in the holder you prefer.imo

Well it does look somewhat dull, and why not send a coin to PCGS? PCGS is better.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 7:52PM

New Photos

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 7:52PM

I’m still voting to leave it as is. That obverse is very problematic. ( By the way nice pictures)👍🏼 The rim/edge 2-4 o’clock reverse is gunna raise some eyebrows.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a 62 coin . . . which is probably why you got a 'deal' on it. Not going to get that into a PCGS 64 holder no matter what you do with it. Be patient and wait for solid 63's. Assembling a matched eye-appealing Peace set is much harder than most collectors realize.

• Options

Obverse Die Cracks

• Options

Stay Tuned

for #6!
    Hunting for more eye appeal.
    Thank You.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2021 11:23AM

My #6

Another 1923p
    <3

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad, looks 63/64ish

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Not bad, looks 63/64ish

Thanks. :)
    Better than my first 1923, huh? :D

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck in your future fulfillment for the missing coins.
    I would not crack out the NGC '22, as the Beatles sang "let it be".
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@keets said:
    slow down, Joey, buy some pretty coins and let BryceM help you.

Thanks Keets. ;)

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I leave for a few months and you found a new addiction.

Grading the Peace Dollar has been a humbling experience for me.

Morgans easier for some reason

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Peace dollar that I've had in my set the longest was acquired about 18 years ago. The most recent one I added to the set was 4 years ago. I've enjoyed the search and did a few upgrades over the years as well. I love the series and my set will probably always be needing a bit of improvement, which gives me a reason to always be looking at them whenever the whim comes along. They'll be hard to part with. "Sometimes the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least" Bob Dylan said that. Your enthusiasm is contagious as a previous poster remarked, and that's a good thing for some of us old farts here. There's some seriously nice eye candy in this thread guys!

• Options

@jedm said:

...Your enthusiasm is contagious as a previous poster remarked, and that's a good thing for some of us old farts here. There's some seriously nice eye candy in this thread guys!

Thanks buddy!
    What? You haven't picked one up in 4 years? Why? Lol

• Options
    edited December 1, 2021 1:05AM

@gtstang said:
    It's good to know what you like about each coin you purchase.

Thanks. You think like me. In the sense of buying cheap but still, at the same time, eye catching.
    The six I have thus far, are on the cheap. Except for my 2021. Tone! Any toning catches my eye. At any angle. Or certain character quality. Such as, die cracks, clashes and esp. varieties! Sure, let's not leave out any, even slight, luster. Right now, the prices that I'm picking these up for, are very satisfying with the look I LIKE!
    Maybe later, I'll dig a little deeper in my pockets for the essential Peace Dollars that the coin hobbyist longs for? Baby steps. :D
    Thanks guys. Thinking about #7!

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang - those are awesome 62’s. Takes extreme patience to find those.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love your enthusiasm but keets has given you sage advice, and Bryce obviously has an eye for this series. It was somewhere between the 2nd or 3rd time I re-entered numismatics that I actually took the advice to "slow down" and really evaluate each purchase before spending the money. At least for me, it was more about keeping focused on my collecting goals while incorporating the valuable information that the more seasoned collectors and dealers share. That said, I certainly had to be mindful of a budget along the way. Peace Dollars get really pricey at MS64 and higher and although your '22-S is in 63 plastic currently... (cool die break notwithstanding) given the amount of chatter in the fields and the weak strike on the reverse (along with chatter at E Pluribus Unum)... I don't think it would make 64. Also, unless you've practiced on a lot of coins, dipping has the potential of stripping off any remaining luster and leaving dead surfaces if you don't get the rinse just right.

I'm often reminded of the adage "buy once, cry once".

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2021 9:13AM

I have a collection of peace dollars that I collected over time and focused mostly on the Philly dates because they are more affordable and were made from master dies at the “mother ship” and consist of the two main key dates, the 21 and the 28. For a long time I collected only 21s - because they are extremely nice when you can find a strong strike in high relief - but eventually ended up with all dates (in P only). I have one 21 slabbed and one that I tried to grade and came back “cleaned” (most experts in my area still shocked over this - if it was cleaned it was only a very small section of the coin, someone probably trying to remove some debris and causes some hairlines). I described this in another post but either way I sold most of my 21s when the price exploded over the anniversary hype and figured I’d use that to take advantage and maybe have some extra money - but kept the really nicer ones.
    Of course what did I do with the extra money?
    You guessed it ...

• Options

Sometimes getting a good photo takes a lot of work but here are a few of my favorites ...

• Options
    edited December 1, 2021 10:47AM

what a bummer on this one:
    (28P) Other than the heinous bag mark across the face it is an excellent coin...not a great pic but incredible luster!

• Options
    edited December 1, 2021 1:17PM

Delete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file