Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just inherited a large and seemingly RARE coin collection - want to give back to family - HELP!

Dnice8Dnice8 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2024 4:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of these are bullion value - the silver dollars are common dates.
    What you decide to do is up to you - the decision I would make would be dependent on so many more factors that you could capture here in a small post - but I always try to error on doing the right thing...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steel cents would have to be in supreme condition to be worth as much as some of that gold

In getting it appraised I’d mention the gold and leave out steel cents lest you send a “I’m new” vibe.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Don’t clean any of these coins. Don’t even think about it.
    2. Don’t be tempted into taking this collection into any coin shop asking for a best offer. That’ll never happen.
    3. Spend some time preparing a detailed inventory with individual photos.
    4. Keep asking questions before you do anything.

Yes, this collection has a good number of expensive gold coins. If you decided to return them to your friend, you might offer to help her maximize the value of this collection. This forum and a couple of honest coin dealers can help%

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options

That’s an incredible amount of money value just in those pictures

You’re doing the right thing.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being honest is always the right thing to do. The gold alone is a worth a lot of money. You said 35 Krugerrands on top of the gold in the photos. Wow, he liked gold and was buying when Double Eagles were $585. You mention 500 other coins. This collection is worth a sizable amount of money. Help her out. She will be grateful for the honesty.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2024 4:06PM

• Options

You need to get one of the kids to visit

• Options

• Options

Perhaps an email with lots of pics to greatcollections might work if it is to be sold.

Though, that may be years away.

Right now maybe you do need a good appraisal.

Are you near any of the big auction houses offices? Great collections, stacks bowers. Heritage?

• Options

Those $20 gold alone contain 0.9675 Troy ounces of gold.

The 1922 and 1923 silver dollars aren’t worth much. It’s quite diverse dollars wise.

That Cal. gold will need professional expert verification

• Options

@Dnice8 said:
    Thank you all very much. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? I have no idea where to start? Is the suggestion that all the coins are ONLY worth the value of the metal? Or, do any of the above seem like I should have them actually appraised and set aside to see if she would prefer to have me put them up for auction? I assume for the Kruggerands that I would take them to a Buillon dealer. I also have all United States Mint Proof Uncirculated Sets (whatever that is - sorry, I am still a novice), as well as US Mint Presidential Uncirculated Proof Dollars dating back to 1964. I have silver Francs from 1975, and Elizabeth pence coin in a plastic cap, and I haven't even gotten to the silver bars and tons of $2 bills yet.

I have no idea what to do but I want to help this poor woman out so her kids will have a trust or something in the estate.

The Cal. Gold… if real is worth more than gold value, the $3 carries a nice collector premium.

As for the $20 gold. Let’s say you have this 1 gold coin that they made tons of. The value would be based off gold price but as you go down in size $10-to-$5-to-$2.50 there is an increasing premium over the gold price for even common stuff

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, separate the bullion from the collector coins. Many of the collector coins will need to be certified. Get help from a reputable professional. Those “silly” coins are worth a great deal of money.

• Options

The 1970s and newer proof sets generally but not always worth only a few bucks each

You can see this on eBay completed sales

I have no knowledge on this:
    “US Mint Presidential Uncirculated Proof Dollars dating back to 1964.“

A picture of one would be of interest

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most efficient way to go about getting an accurate appraisal would be to contact on of the larger auction companies. With the size of the collection you have I think Heritage would come to you and give you their opinion as to what the would get for the collection and what the fees would be. If you are in Southern CA you could make an appointment with @ianrussell of Great Collections and he could tell you what the thinks he could get you at auction. Be advised that Great Collections only sells certified, they will have them certified before the auction if you choose to consign with them.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

If most of the value of the collection is in bullion, auctioning them will not get you the best price. However, Heritage can certainly buy them outright rather than putting them in an auction. For common Saints I would think you could get pretty close to spot. Spreads are tight for those type of coins.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend that you contact Nachbar Rare Coins at 716-635-9700. Richard Nachbar passed away earlier this year but the company's reputation is impeccable. Also, they will travel to you if the value of the collection warrants it. Failing that, I would probably go with Great Collections. Take your time, do your research and don't make hasty decisions. Good luck.

• Options

Airfare isn’t free

• Options

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2021 9:20PM

@Dnice8 said:
    Thank you all very much. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? I have no idea where to start? Is the suggestion that all the coins are ONLY worth the value of the metal? Or, do any of the above seem like I should have them actually appraised and set aside to see if she would prefer to have me put them up for auction? I assume for the Kruggerands that I would take them to a Buillon dealer. I also have all United States Mint Proof Uncirculated Sets (whatever that is - sorry, I am still a novice), as well as US Mint Presidential Uncirculated Proof Dollars dating back to 1964. I have silver Francs from 1975, and Elizabeth pence coin in a plastic cap, and I haven't even gotten to the silver bars and tons of $2 bills yet.

I have no idea what to do but I want to help this poor woman out so her kids will have a trust or something in the estate.

I would email Mr. feld offline with a complete listing of what you have. Depending on that convo, there are several companies including his that will fly someone out to evaluate the collection for auction if that is the route you wish to go. Ian and GReat collections is good people as well.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

The American Arts Medallion coins were supposed to be an answer to the Krugerrand, but were not popular

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1980-medal-marian-anderson-gold/20500

Unless it is in high condition, it trades at gold value.

The Eisenhower dollars in plastic needs commentary from an Ike collector

Not sure what to make of the rest other than that’s $100,000 of krugerrands

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dnice8 I'm going to second the PM / email / phone correspondence to @MFeld as well. Mark will help steer you right, I am sure of that.

I'm grateful you are doing right as well. Karma should return good things to you in spades.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

That's one heck of an accumulation!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, just WOW! I would seek out 2 or 3 reputable dealers and seek offers them. From what I see not too much is worth the cost of certifying or forking over 10-20% in auction fees. 1 suggestion I would make is find an online price guide, even here and determine if you have any better dates. If you post your general area better suggestions could be made as to who to seek advise from. If you live where there may be a large coin show...FUN in Orlando, Fl. in January as an example...that is where I would go to sell the bullion as there is enough competition to get you a strong price if you shop them around.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

One last thing....be very conscious of how you sell it.

If you are inclined to give the money back to the family, maybe each member can sell a few Krugerrands themselves to avoid a huge windfall in your name. The last thing you need is to attract the attention of the IRS as a reward for your good deeds. ;)

• Options

Oh no.

It’s not his place to make a sell decision for them.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a worthwhile accumulation. May I ask if you are near a large city? Is there a bank near you that has private rooms for it's safe deposit box clients? These coins should be held in a safe deposit box. If possible I would invite three dealers to meet you at the bank and make their offers to purchase the collection. Then I would present the offers to your friend.

• Options

Hey!

I’m MsMorrisine … a he!

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2021 7:34PM

Listen to @BryceM, class act with some good advice

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are you located?

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2024 4:07PM

• Options

There are snakes all around.

Vet people.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2021 7:56PM

With today's Government are you entitled to pay any "Inheritance Taxes" even though it may have just been a "gift"??

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW -- I've never seen this much gold in my life. Your in a tough position and good luck, your desire to to do the right thing for her and her family is really refreshing. Good luck.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos to you for trying to do the right thing.

Very valuable is a relative term. If this is your average middle class family this collection is very valuable. If the family name is Gates, Buffet, Musk or similar it's peanuts (you get my drift). In any case getting a ballpark idea of the value of the collection will help the family decide how to deal with the collection.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 5:03AM

If you want to give it back, just get out of the middle.

Go back to her. Tell her the collection is worth over $100k and you don't feel right about taking it. If she insists, then it's yours and proceed accordingly. If she reconsiders, simply return it and let the family deal with it. If she wants to split it more broadly, including her children, then do that.

You do not need any further information to have that discussion.

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭

@Dnice8 said:
    I'm a "she" :-)

I have them in a safe that would survive an apocalypse. I am waiting to hear from the @MFeld fellow everyone has mentioned. He seems to be the most reputable. I do not believe she meant any money in this amount to go to me. I think she just wanted me to have some fun old coins to add to my collection. She is the sweetest woman in the world. I love her very much, and will do what I can to help her.

Mark is a good guy and has impeccable credentials.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say, go slow whatever you do. Appraisal is in order and that will cost a bit. Not the entire collection needs to be appraised as a lot of values can be obtained easily on completed ebay sales. I'm talking Eisenhower and proof and mint sets for sure. Even silver dollars can be researched fairly adequately on ebay.
    What you need to do is some research first and foremost. Perhaps have some of the gold looked at first and if that goes as you hope then move on with another batch, etc. Don't step on the gas, and use the brake a lot.
    Good luck,
    bob :)
    PS: wish I was in Houston (I think Mr. Feld is in Tx but he does seem to move around a bit).

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the lady and her family rich to the point a quarter of a million dollars does not mean much? Is the lady still of sound mind?

• Options
    edited February 9, 2024 4:08PM

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Threads like this warm my heart.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

If she’s an attorney and you both work at a law firm I feel much better. You clearly know more about the legal & tax stuff than I do. For a bit there it sounded like a little old lady you play bingo with who lives in a shack on the wrong side of the tracks. :)

Houston…..

Mark Feld is in Dallas at Heritage’s HQ. It’s a bit of a jaunt over there but likely worth it for that collection.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dnice8 said:
    I am now trying to understand the value of the collection

Simple answer: Don't even try. Seriously. You need to get appraisals (more than one). That will give you the info you need. Anything else will just get in the way.

The three largest coin auction houses are:

www.ha.com (where MFeld works)
    www.stacksbowers.com
    www.greatcollections.com

Pick at least two and contact them. As others have said, you UNQUESTIONABLY have over $100K in value. Any auction house would be happy to talk to you and they will walk you through the next steps.

If you live in a large city (I didn't see an answer to that), you may have the option of a local appraisal also. You'll still want to get at least two opinions, though.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2021 9:44PM

@jonathanb said:
    If you live in a large city (I didn't see an answer to that)...

She said Houston in an earlier post - I think that qualifies as a large city!

Of course, it's Texas - They somehow think everything is bigger in Texas (or so I've heard)!
    It's probably some little Podunk town. B)

BST references available on request

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when I thought $585 was too much for an oz of gold. Lol me.

Good luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file