Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:06PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my area of collecting but still interesting.

Sold for 1560$

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm having trouble understanding how that "modification" adds value. Can somebody here enlighten me?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chinese coin collectors are collecting cap & rays 8 reales

Mr Eureka perhaps ask a collector from China to get your answer

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@bidask said:

The answer is in your answer they spend big money and there are a lot of collectors from China hence big sale prices.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2021 11:41PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@bidask said:

The answer is in your answer they spend big money and there are a lot of collectors from China hence big sale prices.

I understand that there are a lot of wealthy Chinese collectors and that the market is hot. So I understand that anything that adds numismatic value can add more commercial value than one might normally expect. What I don't understand is how these particular "modifications" to the coin add any sort of numismatic value AT ALL. But if someone can give me a better history lesson than that provided in the catalog description, I might "get it".

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are probably like "sticker dollars" in US coins. The paper additions have meaning to the Chinese and are a collecting specialty. Because they are very fragile, few likely exist in that condition.

All glory is fleeting.

@MrEureka said:

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@bidask said:

I understand that there are a lot of wealthy Chinese collectors and that the market is hot. So I understand that anything that adds numismatic value can add more commercial value than one might normally expect. What I don't understand is how these particular "modifications" to the coin add any sort of numismatic value AT ALL. But if someone can give me a better history lesson than that provided in the catalog description, I might "get it".

''Red represents fire and is the most popular color in China. It is also the national color representing happiness, beauty, vitality, good luck, success and good fortune. Red is famously popular in relation to anything Chinese and is widely used during festivals and important events like weddings.''

As for rarity I have only seen this one in a full year but maybe a chopmark collector can chip in.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great craft idea for my 3 year old. I'll get him the coins and he'll color and glue the chops on.

edited December 1, 2021 10:33AM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Sounds like a great craft idea for my 3 year old. I'll get him the coins and he'll color and glue the chops on.

I get it but chopmark collectors enjoy this type of coin to each his own. I find it interesting but not 1560$ interesting. These coins have sentimental value since they were given out at places like weddings it is a cultural thing and Chinese love their culture and are ready to pay up.

Colin Gullberg has a reference to them in his book on chopmarks.