DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:15PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options

Are there any current price guides for Russian coins?

• Options

What is the top coin from Russia? Or say the top 5 does anyone know?

• Options

What do you mean by top coin? These are the priciest: https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/330191-most-valuable-coins-tsarist-russia

But those are rather irrelevant to collectors. Important coins include:

• Vladimir Srebreniks, from around AD1000, which are sometimes counted as Russia's first coins.
    • almost anything from Dmitry Donskoy, a hero in the history of Russia. Many copied Golden Horde issues.
    • Ivan IV kopeks - very, very cheap and plentiful, but remained the template for hundreds of years.
    • Peter I portrait coins. Peter the Great reformed the coinage and introduced milled coins.
    • Copper 5 kopeks, especially Elizabeth-Catherine II, which are some of the world's largest coins.
    • Nicholas II platinum coins (3, 6 and 12 rubles) - some of the only platinum coins made for circulation.

There are lots more - from Peter I beard tokens to brutalist Soviet designs.

• Options

@JohnConduitt said:
    What do you mean by top coin? These are the priciest: https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/330191-most-valuable-coins-tsarist-russia

But those are rather irrelevant to collectors. Important coins include:

• Vladimir Srebreniks, from around AD1000, which are sometimes counted as Russia's first coins.
    • almost anything from Dmitry Donskoy, a hero in the history of Russia. Many copied Golden Horde issues.
    • Ivan IV kopeks - very, very cheap and plentiful, but remained the template for hundreds of years.
    • Peter I portrait coins. Peter the Great reformed the coinage and introduced milled coins.
    • Copper 5 kopeks, especially Elizabeth-Catherine II, which are some of the world's largest coins.
    • Nicholas II platinum coins (3, 6 and 12 rubles) - some of the only platinum coins made for circulation.

There are lots more - from Peter I beard tokens to brutalist Soviet designs.

Thanks what series is the most collect or say the top 3? My knowledge on Russian coins is at level 0.

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Thanks what series is the most collect or say the top 3? My knowledge on Russian coins is at level 0.

Imperial portraits are very strong (so Peter the Great to Nicholas II). They have a unique style. But they didn't have portraits on low denominations and some emperors had no portrait coins at all (Paul, Alexanders I and II, Nicholas I), which makes most of them pretty pricey. Still, you can get decent portrait coins of Elizabeth, Catherine II, Alexander III and Nicholas II for $300+.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 6:53PM

What is considered the one dollar issue in Russia?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 Rouble.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russia, Russia? It's a Ruble, from Transnistria, a "break away" republic from Ukraine:

• Options

Russian denominations can be rather difficult to follow.

Before Ivan IV, they just had the pulo and the denga, both derived from Golden Horde coins. A ruble was a unit of weight. Then, when the coinage across different regions was standardised, they added the kopek.

But after Peter I's reforms, things got confusing, particularly as they often didn't mark coins with a relative numeric value (just as Americans have '1 dime' not 10 cents).

Pulo = 1/16 to 1/64 Denga (the value varied)
    Polpolushka = 1/4 Denga = 1/8 Kopek
    Polushka = 1/2 Denga = 1/4 Kopek
    Denga = Denezhka = Polkopeki = 1/2 Kopek
    Kopek = 1/100 Ruble
    2 Kopeks = 1/50 Ruble
    3 Kopeks = Altyn = Altynnik ~ 1/33 Ruble
    4 Kopeks = 1/25 Ruble
    5 Kopeks = 10 Dengi = 1/20 Ruble
    10 Kopeks = Grivna = Grivennik = 1/10 Ruble
    15 Kopeks ~ 1/7 Ruble
    20 Kopeks = 1/5 Ruble
    25 Kopeks = Polupoltina = Polupoltinnik = 1/4 Ruble
    50 Kopeks = Poltinnik = Poltina = 1/2 Ruble
    1 Ruble

'Pol' means half, so polpol is half half. '-ushka' is diminutive, so polpolushka is 'half little half'.

Like other countries, they had names for higher denomination coins that wouldn't have been generally circulated e.g. chervonetz (the equivalent of a ducat) and imperial (10 rubles).

Another important term to note is 'novodel'. These are restrikes, usually minted not long after the originals. Even so, some of them go for a lot of money.

• Options

These are all the same denomination (1/2 kopek = denga):

USSR Half Kopek, 1927

Copper, 1.7g (Y75).

Nicholas II Half Kopek, 1915

St Petersburg. Copper, 1.6g. Nicholas II monogram (Bit 275).

Ivan VI Denga, 1741

Moscow. Copper, 7.4g. Double-headed imperial eagle. 'Denga' and date in cartouche (Bit 43).

Peter I the Great Denga, 1703

Moscow. Copper, 5.0g. Double-headed eagle, Tsar and Grand Duke Pyotr Alexeyevich. Denomination, Cyrillic numerals date, Autocrat of the whole Russia, Denga (Bit 1472).

Ivan IV the Terrible Denga, 1535-1547

Tver. Silver, 0.3g. Grand Prince Ivan. Horseman brandishing sabre on galloping horse (GH 36).

Vasily II the Blind Denga, 1425-1433

Moscow. Silver, 0.6g. Rider with a falcon. Imitation of an Arabic (Golden Horde) inscription (Metz 11).

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

5 kopeks 1846

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    1 Rouble.

Thanks

• Options

@JohnConduitt said:

Russian denominations can be rather difficult to follow.

Before Ivan IV, they just had the pulo and the denga, both derived from Golden Horde coins. A ruble was a unit of weight. Then, when the coinage across different regions was standardised, they added the kopek.

But after Peter I's reforms, things got confusing, particularly as they often didn't mark coins with a relative numeric value (just as Americans have '1 dime' not 10 cents).

Pulo = 1/16 to 1/64 Denga (the value varied)
    Polpolushka = 1/4 Denga = 1/8 Kopek
    Polushka = 1/2 Denga = 1/4 Kopek
    Denga = Denezhka = Polkopeki = 1/2 Kopek
    Kopek = 1/100 Ruble
    2 Kopeks = 1/50 Ruble
    3 Kopeks = Altyn = Altynnik ~ 1/33 Ruble
    4 Kopeks = 1/25 Ruble
    5 Kopeks = 10 Dengi = 1/20 Ruble
    10 Kopeks = Grivna = Grivennik = 1/10 Ruble
    15 Kopeks ~ 1/7 Ruble
    20 Kopeks = 1/5 Ruble
    25 Kopeks = Polupoltina = Polupoltinnik = 1/4 Ruble
    50 Kopeks = Poltinnik = Poltina = 1/2 Ruble
    1 Ruble

'Pol' means half, so polpol is half half. '-ushka' is diminutive, so polpolushka is 'half little half'.

Like other countries, they had names for higher denomination coins that wouldn't have been generally circulated e.g. chervonetz (the equivalent of a ducat) and imperial (10 rubles).

Another important term to note is 'novodel'. These are restrikes, usually minted not long after the originals. Even so, some of them go for a lot of money.

Thanks will save this.