Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1914-D Lincoln Cent, Opinions, (other coins turned up that needs reported)

MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 19, 2021 9:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Before I go any father with this one I need more opinions PLEASE??
Bad pictures is playing tricks, but only to a point.
Lots of letters poorly form, look at the "C" in cents.
But, most detailing to me is the mint mark location, its not nearly under the 9 enough, it appears to be to far to the right.

I compared the mint mark location and font type to these images of the 5 different obverse die sets used.

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
Thomas Jefferson!

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a fake to me

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

looks fake

Young Numismatist

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

fake

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 4:42PM

imo, there is a chance it is authentic but the surfaces are so altered (intentionally or othrewise) that doing that one to 100% from images is near impossible even with some diagnostics as counterfeits do have some diagnostics that match authentic coins from die transfer and whatnot.

it may come back from pcgs simply QA.

edited to add:

i didn't comment about it at first but that scratch across the face is similar to many metal detector finds i've seen over the years in pictures and in-hand.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited October 17, 2021 3:41PM

Here is my side of the fence on this one,
    On the reverse looking at the crooked tilted upward "F" in "OF" and the whatever is with the poorly formed "C" in CENT.
    Then the misaligned mint mark, and for signs of wear what happened to Lincoln's ear? I'm on the counterfeit side, not a altered. And I hate those bad pictures too!
    I'm better at calls on the 09SVDB for sure but I've been keeping an eye on these for awhile now, this has a look and smell of phony but that's why its up for discussion and opinions?

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

Run Forest Run!

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

At best, it's a genuine coin with lots of damage. Hard pass.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be excited if I found it roll searching!
    The porosity and gouge down the face are troubling.
    Authenticity is questionable IMO.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is genuine. It looks like die pair 3. But it looks like it had significant corrosion which was possibly removed with nitric acid.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    I think it is genuine. It looks like die pair 3. But it looks like it had significant corrosion which was possibly removed with nitric acid.

Okay, I do this lets put a line in the image of the coin in question and die set #3 let make the line follow the vertical bar of the back of the "D" and see what direction it takes.
    Die # 3 the back bar of the "D" is vertical to 1's
    the coin in question doesn't look that way.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 1:21AM

@MarkW63 said:

@dcarr said:

Okay, I do this lets put a line in the image of the coin in question and die set #3 let make the line follow the vertical bar of the back of the "D" and see what direction it takes.
    Die # 3 the back bar of the "D" is vertical to 1's
    the coin in question doesn't look that way.

The vertical bar on the "D" is pretty short. So any hit or deformation on the "D" could skew the apparent vertical guide line.
    A fair amount of metal has been eaten away from the coin and that can also affect the apparent tilt of the "D". Tilt aside, the positioning of the D looks about right,

Regardless, it is not a coin that i would buy unless maybe if it was priced under $5 to $10.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be a severely damage cent, however, I lean towards fake.... either way, a hard pass for me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fake or it spent some time in an acidic environment.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the odd looking "C" in CENT to the round looking "E" in E Pluribus Unum... I'd lean towards not buying this particular piece. I think it's fake...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any feedback on the seller?
    Do they accept returns?
    How long a member?
    I agree with your findings on it being suspect.
    Without having the coin in hand, I would not purchase it.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller has sold counterfeits coins and has current counterfeit coin listings. :/

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Seller has sold counterfeits coins and has current counterfeit coin listings. :/

Avoid. at all costs.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

When did you become a free man again? I'm glad your back ;)

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2021 10:21AM

From the Denver Mint Record of Coinage Dies for Calendar year 1914:

There were 6 obverse dies used, and 7 reverse dies used.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

bogus :(

• Options

The coin picture was manipulated. Look at the background.

The coin doesn't actually look like that.

No matter, it looks like a counterfeit to me anyway.

Pete

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When did you become a free man again?"

They opened my cell door about 8 days ago but I have become soo institutionalized that I haven't left my cell. ;):D

Looks like the seller also has the same coin listed in another listing. Notice the dot below liberty, also notice how it appears to not fit the hole and may be a smaller diameter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284488009034

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284488085822

https://www.ebay.com/usr/denbo-5189

These don't look right either.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/284488215294
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/284490495764

Here is a recently sold counterfeit from the same seller.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/284465671074

Dishonest seller for sure!

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "When did you become a free man again?"

They opened my cell door about 8 days ago but I have become soo institutionalized that I haven't left my cell. ;):D

Looks like the seller also has the same coin listed in another listing. Notice the dot below liberty, also notice how it appears to not fit the hole and may be a smaller diameter.

Dishonest seller for sure!

Well, your right about the coin being in two different listings!
    And your right about the coin not fitting the punched hole, its just laying in it.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    From the Denver Mint Record of Coinage Dies for Calendar year 1914:

There were 6 obverse dies used, and 7 reverse dies used.

Pete

Very interesting, so, where does one go to find an obverse image if the #6 die set?

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

With the above suspicions and itvz's statement, this makes it even more likely a counterfeit. Although without knowing the seller has sold counterfeits and is now offering counterfeits, I would have felt the coin was authentic but damaged both from impact, abnormal wear and acidic conditions such as a dug coin. But it doesn't matter. I would never had bought the coin for the multitude of reasons listed.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

With the above suspicions and itvz's statement, this makes it even more likely a counterfeit. Although without knowing the seller has sold counterfeits and is now offering counterfeits, I would have felt the coin was authentic but damaged both from impact, abnormal wear and acidic conditions such as a dug coin. But it doesn't matter. I would never had bought the coin for the multitude of reasons listed.
    Jim

Unfortunately other people will.

Pete

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@jesbroken said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Jim

Unfortunately other people will.

Pete

Yep! its at $140.00 and still going.

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

Thomas Jefferson!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list