Home U.S. Coin Forum

Contemporary Counterfeit Draped Bust or Flowing Hair Dollar (or half dollar)..anybody have one?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2022 10:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Give this one more go, just in case there's one lurking in forum land.

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1796 16 star Flowing Hair Dollar. Not sure whether it is a Contemporary Counterfeit or not, just a counterfeit.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guaranteed not contemporary

Frank

BHNC #203

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

A contemporary counterfeit would be made from a silver coated base metal such as lead or pewter and was intended to be spent.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it was made last month in Asia... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, at least it’s “a freshly made product.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a Draped Bust, Not a Flowing Hair.

@jesbroken said:
    I have a 1796 16 star Flowing Hair Dollar. Not sure whether it is a Contemporary Counterfeit or not, just a counterfeit.
    Jim

I keep looking for "COPY" somewhere on that coin. :D

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

me too but since i don't see it , i'll take the time to remind members here that if it doesn't, it is technically illegal to sell but not illegal to own. also, sending it across state lines for a sale ramps up the charges, so be careful.

at the very least, it would be a rather large PIA to have to defend one's self in that unlikely event, either to a cop, SS or a judge.

on-topic, i'm not sure if i have a period counterfeit for those 2 types. not sure why the appear to be so scarce considering at that time 50c and $1 were a lot of money. perhaps the counterfeiters were too poor to afford an example to copy!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@PerryHall said:

me too but since i don't see it , i'll take the time to remind members here that if it doesn't, it is technically illegal to sell but not illegal to own. also, sending it across state lines for a sale ramps up the charges, so be careful.

at the very least, it would be a rather large PIA to have to defend one's self in that unlikely event, either to a cop, SS or a judge.

on-topic, i'm not sure if i have a period counterfeit for those 2 types. not sure why the appear to be so scarce considering at that time 50c and $1 were a lot of money. perhaps the counterfeiters were too poor to afford an example to copy!

The Hobby Protection Act which requires COPY on replica coins was passed in 1973. Coins made before 1973 don't have this requirement. That said, this coin looks like is was just made sometime this year.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

CC maybe. Fake Civil War Dog Tag. Obverse Capped Bust reverse Drapped Bust

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

My guess is that since 8 reales were far more common in trade at that time than early dollars were, the counterfeiters may have just focused on making those?
    US dollars were a bit exotic back then, in your every day transaction I'm thinking?
    That might have made them a bit hard to pass off, versus the 8R..

It would be cool if anyone here had some more info.. archived pics or whatever.
    I'm guessing they are rare but most likely exist!

@habaraca said:
    CC maybe. Fake Civil War Dog Tag. Obverse Capped Bust reverse Drapped Bust

Habaraca...is this dollar sized??
    Either way very cool!
    I'm having a hard time seeing the DB details on the reverse but it looks like an1806, so they have a DB date!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin Sorry about the mislabel.

@PerryHall
    The Hobby Protection Act which requires COPY on replica coins was passed in 1973. Coins made before 1973 don't have this requirement. That said, this coin looks like is was just made sometime this year.

This counterfeit and a $4 Stella I bought at a coin show in Baltimore in 2009. The Stella is marked replica. Have no idea who I purchased them from. Bought them out of curiosity as the weight is totally light, no doubt as to its originality.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

very interesting discussions about modern fakes... not what I was asking about though.
    Last call 🍸

• cwtcwt Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

Here is a link to photos and descriptions of some...
    cccbhcc.com/before-davignons.html

@cwt said:
    Here is a link to photos and descriptions of some...
    cccbhcc.com/before-davignons.html

Aha, missed it before but this is a cool link to a very interesting site.. here are a few pics of my faves.
    Seems these are exceedingly rare and probably why replies to this thread were few..

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have plenty of the latest Chinese junk and later period contemporaries; this is the closest to the OP's quest I have B) ...

Amazing!

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not counterfeits but I definitely have silver bullion with the coin designs of Morgan, trade etc.
    I think it was my sub conscious fascination with numismatics that caused them to be collected.

Also have smaller sized silver rounds featuring the Mercury design, copper round of the IHP and so on

:)

• dave700xdave700x Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

How about a cent?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Modern Counterfeit

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited January 13, 2022 12:22AM

Yup..
    The modern carp is what it is. Buy them if you like them for whatever reason, but not what I'm talking about..
    Contemporary counterfeits were made Contemporary to the time the coins they imitate circulated, by counterfeiters trying to pass fake coins as real, for face value. Not to fool coin collectors .
    The 4 that I posted above are extremely rare, basically museum pieces, so it's no surprise this thread isn't filling up with bogus FH and DB pieces... I was hoping some members might have some, but now I realize how uncommon they are, it's seeming unlikely..😄

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file