Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Las Vegas Sports Card Show Oct 22-24 - SHOW REPORT

ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 29, 2021 10:26AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

https://lasvegascardshow.com/

I went to the show on Saturday Oct 24. It was advertised as a 400-table show, I think it was around 100 short. The venue is located near the North Premium Outlet Mall right across the street from the funky looking Cleveland Clinic. The show was on the main Expo floor. The room was nice. It had good lighting, air, and climate control. The crowd was very diverse and younger (most under 50) than I have seen at other large regional shows. I would say the split of the cards was 70% modern/30% vintage. There was some vintage (pre-80) unopened but you really had to look. I didn't see the signers list but I heard the name of Bill Madlock, Mike Easler, and Brian Giles, so someone from Pittsburgh was involved in the show. I ended up buying some 2021 Football boxes to rip, a 1990 OPC Premier Hockey Box, and two racks below.

Quick Points:

• This is the first big show I attended since COVID. While I know prices have skyrocketed, it was a little shocking to see modern rookies with 4 and 5 digit price tags all over the showcases.
  • I saw two tables with women dealers. I think one table played softball.
  • There were a couple new grading start-ups - HGA and Rare Edition. The Rare Edition guys had some interesting ideas. You can look it up on their site.
  • There were a few Vault type services and at least one money guy offering what I could tell was a reverse mortgage for cards.
  • I know where all the retailer blaster and mega boxes went. I guess not every Target and Walmart has a one per day limit.

OVERALL - Its was very good show and worth the cost if you live a drivable distance away. It looks like the Vegas card scene is getting stronger with a few large shows already scheduled for 2022.

Here is the Cleveland Clinic across the street from the Expo.

The front of the Expo.

The Show Floor

Mike

Comments

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there 1 week later or Sema / Aapex. Rather be going to the card show.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised that Vegas hasn't become the "West Coast" National. I've been to few mall shows in Vegas, this is the first convention type show. I'll report out (with Pics!) when I get back.

Mike

bump

Mike
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe you could go into that Cleveland Clinic sick and come out healthy

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great writeup, Mike - thanks.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

I always hear about the new stuff (Ja Morant, Tatum etc) at these shows with 4 and 5 figure price tags all over the show in everyone's case......is any of it selling??

@Mickey71 said:
    I always hear about the new stuff (Ja Morant, Tatum etc) at these shows with 4 and 5 figure price tags all over the show in everyone's case......is any of it selling??

Yes I did see transactions at those levels. Mostly electronic payments, not a lot of cash. There were a lot of younger kids <30 at the show, a good sign for the hobby.

Also it seems that the Kaboom cards were a very popular issue to grade since a lot of dealers had them. The grades didn't look that great, so I assume this must be a very condition sensitive set?

Mike
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

When I go to the Dallas show that is about 80% of what you see. New basketball and football at exorbitant prices. Most stuff that is older and high grade gets priced well above eBay and you have to negotiate in hopes of getting people to move. I have no idea. Also at the big shows the majority of the people I see are much younger than me (48)

Looking for FB HOF Rookies