Home U.S. Coin Forum

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

I try to show my wife sometimes, bit she isnt interested most of the time. But thats ok, she never asks what i pay or notices how many i buy. Ill keep it that way

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to but not any more.

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I always show my mom the new additions I make to my collection. Some of my collection was stuff she pulled out of circulation in the 1960s and gave to me when I began actively collecting.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outside my own household, no.

• PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

I feel blessed, I have two non-family members. One in particular we participate in several deals together. at times fronting each other funds and sometimes trading items at our cost to each other.
    In took me years to form this tight little network and it had been great.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.... I know of no one in this entire area that collects coins... Of course, I do not know everybody. However, there are no coin shows or shops (other than antique shops with a few overpriced raw Morgans). When I lived in WA state, there were shows, shops and a lot of people I knew that collected. Cheers, RickO

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son, my grandson and mostly my cat.
    I am blessed 😇

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2021 6:56AM

I show and tell my wife about the coins I buy (and sell).

She even follows me on Instagram :)

When I am not sure if I should buy a certain coin, I will ask her and she always says to just buy the coin.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

well my family and my wife know

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mailman suspects something is off about me. B)

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just one, and he's heavily into PMD.

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 10:17AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    In my case no but I wish I did.

not necessarily daily but i pretty much share with anyone i come into contact with on a regular basis that doesn't annoy me or make me concerned about the odds of robbing me.

my business debit check card has oldcollectorcoins on it, so anyone doing business with me these days the usa abroad and looks at the card closely gets at least a bit of commentary. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stella said:
    My husband and I met at a coin show, and now we can "talk coins" anytime. B)

Lucky man!!!

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Not a soul besides my Lcs dealer.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

At this time I have no one to share with.
    Am counting soon on the future heirs.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

People I know I collect coins, but the only person who has actually seem them is my wife. They're all in the safe deposit box. In my trust, I have a provision that she can keep the coins she likes, the rest go to other specified family members, and if anyone wants to sell anything, I have specified a dealer to do the transactions.

In general, she likes my toned type coins.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work at a coin shop and my friend is the owner (also a collector) and have several friends that I see regularly that are collectors. It’s pretty awesome.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but only on a limited basis.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I did have a live in girlfriend that sold my gold coins as fast as I bought them - then when I finally put 2 and 2 together I threw her ass out of my house and Violi - no more missing gold coins - does that count??????????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really. My kids always want to help me ship coins but they do it because they want me to pay them :D

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    My friends and family ridicule me weekly about the hobby. Does that count as engagement ?

Remember that when you update your will

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 4:59AM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@Stella said:
    My husband and I met at a coin show, and now we can "talk coins" anytime. B)

Lucky man!!!

We are talking friends, no one wants to talk to their wives.

Hey dear what is that a flowing hair dollar? Care to explain why I only got flowers and a sweater for my birthday? Comprehension is not your friend

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to my local club meetings a few times. I quickly discovered my “fancy slab stuff” wasn’t really their cup of tea. There are a few people I’ve bumped into around here who collect, but usually it’s modern NCLT stuff or albums from circulation.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. I'm with the OP.
    Aside from customers who collect , there are no family members or friends who care to see, hear, or touch anything numismatic.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Pretty much alone here on the coin front. No coin friends and no LCS to visit. But I do have all of you guys to visit with when I feel the need to share or complain. :D

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually keep quiet about my hobby, but have a few coin friends at work and meet with a small group that includes a couple of serious copper collectors. Wife and I are both into history.

One of the most fun and interesting coin meetings I've had was on the early days of the NGC forum, five of us got together at a corporate conference room - no public distractions as in a restaurant, and we were free to share some of our prized coins. It was a great time because we were all serious collectors.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those of you that have wives to share your coin hobby with are very fortunate in my opinion. My wife supports me in my hobby as I do hers, but she does not share my passion for it. I am fortunate enough though to have my wife's brother in law that collects with me and shares my passion. As a matter of fact he got me back into coin collecting (after a 25 year hiatus) when his mother gave him a few Morgans and Peace dollars that she had for many years. We go to the shows together and share our purchases. When the local coin shows where going strong here in Massachusetts before COVID we used to go to a show and share our pickups every 2 to 3 weeks. Looking forward to the shows coming back on a steady basis.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are coin collectors mostly introverts? That could be a reason, although I think a reluctance to share info with non-collectors assumes lack of interest combined with being wisely security conscious.

I concur with @BryceM that the local clubs I've attended don't care much about slabbed stuff.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a couple of weeks ago, my wife was quite excited to see a 1943 Bronze Cent. She actually wanted to see it when it arrived.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, my wife.

Who just ignores me.

Frank

BHNC #203

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 17 year old daughter has her own collection and enjoys it. She has some pretty nice stuff and likes to look at it, sometimes she even gives me permission to post images of her various items because some are quite rare and unique.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    My 17 year old daughter has her own collection and enjoys it. She has some pretty nice stuff and likes to look at it, sometimes she even gives me permission to post images of her various items because some are quite rare and unique.

That is very cool!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file