Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:29PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭✭

Yes I've sent in several raw Mexican 8R, had a few unexpected "Details Cleaned" but never a counterfeit.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my British Trade Dollars were bought raw and submitted to PCGS. A few other coins bought raw and submitted. No fakes. Buy from someone that is reputable who stands behind a coin's authenticity.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my more recent purchases (last five years) haver been ungraded since that's all that is available. Some I knew had problems and others I did not since I am buying from images. None were that expensive.

• Options

Is it safe to buy 8 reales from 1734 to 1771 or are there many fakes out there?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

There are many fakes out there.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

Best for a rookie to buy graded coins even if some may be fake minimizes the risk.

• Options

There are fakes, but not to the extent of the Carlos III/IV portraits. I feel comfortable buying raw from established dealers in Spanish colonial issues such as Sedwick and A&C, but would be cautious about buying raw from a general "world" dealer.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some British gold ,that I bought about 30 years ago, out for grading at PCGS now.

• Options

@golden said:
    I have some British gold ,that I bought about 30 years ago, out for grading at PCGS now.

Please let us know how it turns out.

• Options

@fluffy155 said:
    There are fakes, but not to the extent of the Carlos III/IV portraits. I feel comfortable buying raw from established dealers in Spanish colonial issues such as Sedwick and A&C, but would be cautious about buying raw from a general "world" dealer.

How about Heritage Auctions?

• Options

My instinct would be "no", but I've never looked at Heritage's raw sales so I can't say one way or another. I suspect if Heritage has a coin un-graded then there's probably a reason for that.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

Agreed, per my own experience, the first four around those dates above (raw) that I bought in the past, were fakes, on these I recover the money, The last two I bought recently (portrait type), also in raw condition, were not that too good, mostly on one of them, I end up able to trade one with a friend, and the other, was sold as melt value, lost my money on this one, so after learning the hard way, I will wait and hope one day to buy a nice one (at least) but graded NGC or PCGS (hope in MS60 or more). My 2cts.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sent in over 100 raw coins in the past year. I buy raw out of necessity for the most part. The biggest hazard for me is problem coins and not necessarily fakes. I've been caught by PVC residue a few times. I check closer for that now, especially on rims. I've been caught by cleaning a few times as well. I'll probably continue to see cleaning in future subs as time goes on. There is a cleaning spectrum and I don't quite have a perfect pin on where they draw the line, so I will inevitably continue to send in some borderline coins when the value proposition is there.

I've really been challenging myself to get better at grading and to navigate problems on raw coins. It feels very rewarding as I slowly improve. Having the ability to consider raw coins as well as graded coins is freeing and makes the hobby more enjoyable. I think everyone should challenge themselves to get better at evaluating coins and be able to justify the prices they pay for coins without the aid of a slab or price guide.

8 Reales are more problematic than some of the coins I collect. A deeper grading knowledge and deeper numismatic knowledge are required. It would be a tough series to attack for a beginner.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

I will stay away from raw coins not comfortable with my level of knowledge. Maybe some day.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stay away from raw coins not comfortable with my level of knowledge. Maybe some day.

It comes down to risk/reward……

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2021 12:03PM

@neildrobertson said:
    I've sent in over 100 raw coins in the past year. I buy raw out of necessity for the most part. The biggest hazard for me is problem coins and not necessarily fakes. I've been caught by PVC residue a few times. I check closer for that now, especially on rims. I've been caught by cleaning a few times as well. I'll probably continue to see cleaning in future subs as time goes on. There is a cleaning spectrum and I don't quite have a perfect pin on where they draw the line, so I will inevitably continue to send in some borderline coins when the value proposition is there.

I've really been challenging myself to get better at grading and to navigate problems on raw coins. It feels very rewarding as I slowly improve. Having the ability to consider raw coins as well as graded coins is freeing and makes the hobby more enjoyable. I think everyone should challenge themselves to get better at evaluating coins and be able to justify the prices they pay for coins without the aid of a slab or price guide.

8 Reales are more problematic than some of the coins I collect. A deeper grading knowledge and deeper numismatic knowledge are required. It would be a tough series to attack for a beginner.

This is me as well, though I'm likely behind you in recognizing problem-free coins. I like raw coins and haven't spent the time attending coin shows, visiting dealers, or joining coin clubs to learn how to distinguish quality from darkly toned dreck. I'm getting an education on toning and PVC corrosion at the moment. What's puzzling to me is the variation in quality of coins in TPG holders, including coins I would never buy because of dipping, cleaning, or being heavily hairlined from wiping.

I'm starting to make submissions to TPG's now so I anticipate some tough 'education' in the future.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this coin raw ……it graded .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Very nice!!

• Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Most of my coins are raw because when I started collecting, everything was raw.

I’ve been thinking about sending my raw collection to PCGS to make it easier on my wife and kids Incase I get hit by a bus.

I have about 20 coins ready to ship off.
    Here’s a quick sample of my raw stuff.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy my coins 90% raw, planning to grade like a few hundred. But my niche is good for raw buying. I got a few bad coins on ebay, just couldnt stop buying because of the rarity, but hey, those are still rare , even if not PR70.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter