Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Autographs

Looking for Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Thurgood Marshall autographs

I am looking for autographs of Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks and/or Thurgood Marshall. I had been looking for several months now and eBay doesn’t have any I like, they are overpriced or on items I don’t really want. Also a TON of fakes. On the higher end auction sites these things go for way more than I usually want to spend.

I had the opportunity five years ago to buy a nice MLK Jr. signed program (authenticated by PSA/DNA and sticker was on LOA and NOT on item which is what I like). It was $2000 but the dealer was willing to sell it to me for $1800. At the time I wasn’t sure if that was a good price, so I was scared to blind buy it and find out I overpaid. I also was not really collecting autographs at that time as I recently just got back in the game last year. Looking back I realize that was a steal, and I later found out that cleaner got $5,000 for it by selling it at an auction. It had a nice full signature and it was NOT personalized which was rare. The program was nice and clean too. It just looked great!

I am hoping to get these autographs WITHOUT stickers on item itself if authenticated by third party. I do NOT like stickers and will not buy them unless sticker is on LOA.

I am hoping to pay under $3000 for MLK Jr., $200 for Rosa Parks, and $100-$150 for Thurgood Marshall— I may pay more if item is to my liking. I am mainly looking for signatures, but things like programs, Chambers Card (for Marshall), letters, some First Day Covers if they look nice, and photos are great but I know they usually cost more.

If you have any of these for sale, or know where I can get them without overpaying, please let me know.

Comments

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of fakes out there. Be cautious.

• JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Lots of fakes out there. Be cautious.

Hopefully the ones authenticated by Beckett and/or PSA/DNA are usually trustworthy but I hope the authentication stickers are on LOA and not on item itself. Yes, I’m picky.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for sale but perhaps for handwriting comparison…

This was on a government issued postcard.

Comparison is the thief of all joy.

@philographer said:
    Not for sale but perhaps for handwriting comparison…

This was on a government issued postcard.

Very neat to see a handwritten note. Usually only see just her signature. Thanks for posting this. It’s very helpful.

Saw this at an antique show today. Unfortunately it was a copy, but fortunately NOT being sold as authentic. The seller said if it was authentic he would had been asking “$1000 more” making it $1150 which to me would had been a bargain. Too bad he didn’t have an authentic one.

Kind of off topic but I am thinking I would much prefer to purchase autographs like Martin Luther King Jr. in person. Does anywhere here know of shops that sell historic/vintage autographed items in the Massachsetts, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island areas? I can travel a little farther to other New England states if a really good promising type of store exists.