Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:53PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited July 30, 2021 4:56PM

Are there not enough coins that exist to do such a book? Is it to difficult to gauge the rarity of these series?

• Options

Or simply very little interest in these series compared to the 8 reales?

• Options

So no one knows if there will be such a book?

• Options

I would buy one if it were printed

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 5:00PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Are there not enough coins that exist to do such a book? Is it to difficult to gauge the rarity of these series?

Too rare to perform a study? I doubt it. Yonaka performed a survey on Guatemala pillars which are certainly scarcer than these as a series, by a multiple factor

I don't recall seeing mintages. The most likely explanation for the low survival rates and rarity is that the predecessor coinage was all struck at Mexico City while these were struck at numerous mints. My inference is any low mintage is mostly or entirely due to low population, limited geographic area with a very modest economy, or limited access to silver due to transportation challenges.

There are many date/MM (or for those who prefer, assayer) combinations but it isn't that scarce in better grades as a type. The 4R is considered scarcest. For a prior post, I performed a rough count of the NGC and PCGS data in AU-58 or better. My recollection is about 160 (somewhat less than half of these MS) which isn't really that low. It's a lot more common than pillars and presumably portrait 4R.

Many individual combinations are scarce or rare but there aren't that many collectors. Like the Liberty Seated with which it roughly overlaps, it's a long series with too many scarce coins. Unlike Liberty Seated, I have seen very few attractive coins below a grade OF AU-55. Mostly "washed out" from a prior cleaning or with weak strikes.

Collectors generally do not collect unattractive coins no matter how scarce, especially when it cost in the four and low five figures as some of these do.

• Options

So no one knows if there will be such a book?

I don't. It's one I previously expressed interest in another thread.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not of anyone working on that project and doubt will ever happen. Hopefully, I am wrong.

• Options

I would truly love owning such a book.

• Options

Any chance Brad Yonaka will do one?

• Options

Any chance Brad Yonaka will do one?

Someone will have to ask him. I'm more interested in an updated hard cover of the non-Mexico pillars and that book is only a few years old.

I'd also like one on the portraits for mints other than Mexico, as I have some interest in the Lion and Castle 1/4R. (I own 10 AU-MS from all mints except Pn.) I am interested in survey data for this series. It's not a widely collected series because the coins are small and many are quite scarce or rare. More have showed up in the TPG data in recent years but don't believe it provides an indication of actual availability.

• Options

Anyone here know how to contact him and ask what his projects are for the future?

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'd also like one on the portraits for mints other than Mexico"

Me too!