Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how she got that name.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest.... It is a long story, with many chapters - Some were on Forensic Files.... all cold cases.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

Any alien visitor from space might wonder why one of the first woman honored in this program is named Mankiller.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2021 9:45AM

Today is June 20th sir, not April 1st.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I will stay here in CT, ty

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

The three designs that I have seen so far all look like the usual clipart looking designs that have been the norm from the US mint for quite some time. Not the most inspiring of designs but what I have come to expect.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2021 7:27AM

There was a quarterback who played for the University of Washington around 1970. His name was Sonny Sixkiller. He was pretty good and also from Oklahoma. Just like Wilma Man killer.........So,..I got to thinking......If Wilma Mankiller married Sonny Sixkiller her name would be Wilma Mankiller Sixkiller. Cool....

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2021 3:20PM

Here’s how she got her name, from Wikipedia
    Wilma Pearl Mankiller was born on November 18, 1945, in the Hastings Indian Hospital in Tahlequah, Oklahoma to Clara Irene (née Sutton) and Charley Mankiller.[1][2] Her father was a full-blooded Cherokee,[1][3] whose ancestors had been forced to relocate to Indian Territory from Tennessee over the Trail of Tears in the 1830s.[4][3][5] Her mother descended from Scots-Irish and English immigrants who had first settled in Virginia and North Carolina in the 1700s. Her maternal grandparents came to Oklahoma in the early 1900s from Georgia and Arkansas, respectively.[1][Notes 1] The surname "Mankiller", Asgaya-dihi (Cherokee syllabary: ᎠᏍᎦᏯᏗᎯ) in the Cherokee language, refers to a traditional Cherokee military rank, similar to a captain or major,[7] or a shaman with the ability to avenge wrongs through spiritual methods.[8] Alternative spellings are Outacity[9] or Ontassetè.[10] Wilma's given Cherokee name, meaning flower, was A-ji-luhsgi.[11] When Charley and Irene married in 1937,[12] they settled on Charley's father, John Mankiller's[Notes 2] allotment, known as "Mankiller Flats", near Rocky Mountain in Adair County, Oklahoma, which he had received in 1907 as part of the government policy of forced assimilation for Native American people.[14][15][16]

Mr_Spud

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2021 7:28AM

Interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file