Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1908 Indian head cent struck over 1872??

User1User1 Posts: 160
edited June 12, 2021 11:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have no knowledge of Indian head cents varietys or errors.. when I googled known errors, it came up with mis placed date. Which it does have on the obverse.. my question is the date that I noticed on reverse where the mint mark should be if not a P. the numbers do have a rasied surface.. so pmd is ruled out..
You also can see some images on obverse and reviews that do not belong..

Pls let me know what you think

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged

thefinn
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I see is circulation damage

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

The date i see is not pmd..
    Yes it has scratches and if you pay attention to the photo the scratches are cutting into the 7.. which indicates a rasied surface, also indicating that it is a struck over older coin..
    Now if you pay attention to the obverse and reverse that my friends is clearly not Damage.. as you can see an image infront of Indian head dudes face.. also multiple images on reverse that do not belong..
    If needed I will take a few more pics..
    Just let me know..
    Ty

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we have another alt here, playing us like a booger.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damage.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you believe that the coins you’ve posted are errors, instead of continuing to ask for opinions, arguing and complaining, put your money where your mouth is and submit them for attribution and grading. Then post pictures after you get them back.

In the meantime, please stop playing games, futile exercises and wasting people’s time and effort.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

blunt and simple you have a PMD coin nothing more, nothing less

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell my your thoughts on how the Mint could have done this with coins 36 years apart in date. I'd like to hear what you believe could possibly happen.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 11:38AM

@AUandAG said:
    Tell my your thoughts on how the Mint could have done this with coins 36 years apart in date. I'd like to hear what you believe could possibly happen.

The only way it could have happened is if someone tossed an 1872 Indian cent in the bin which fed the coin press.

If the OP member thinks his piece is what he says it is, the first place to start is the compare when he has with the date on a genuine 1872 Indian Cent. Here is a photo of one from "Coin Facts." The fonts on the dates for Indian Cents of this era can be quite distinctive.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2021 11:45AM

Ok, this pic may better explain what I'm seeing..
    Raised area's on obverse that dont belong and rim is doubled which I lean more towards struck over another coin bc it's not doubled die Obverse

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at worn metal is like looking at clouds, you will eventually see what you are looking for.

There are over strikes out there that the host coin is decades older than the over strike but this isn’t one of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-S-Proof-25C-Struck-on-a-Silver-Barber-25C-NGC-PF-65-One-of-Two-Known-/271974208766?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Options

Thank you for the link.. I will save it my tabs..
    Pls look at Indian dudes back side of head..
    It's showing another head band..
    I dont think thats worn metal

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

OK, its what you want it to be, I am agreeing with you.....now what? its still a low grade damaged coin. Send it into pcgs and learn from them if not from the learned members here.
    End of message and I hope this disappears soon.

• Options

No,
    This is a discussion.. I'm just trying to understand.. and saying metal clouds and pmd doent add up..

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are obviously never going to believe the news that you do not want to hear, so why bother asking? You apparently wore out your welcome on a number of other sites by posting this stuff, so why do you expect a different result here?

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

research errors and know what you have before you start guessing at something that isn't there

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a damaged Indian Head Cent. The numbers you are imagining are called pareidolia. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody has been having fun picking up goodies in their local Walmart parking lot.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@User1 said:
    Ok, this pic may better explain what I'm seeing..
    Raised area's on obverse that dont belong and rim is doubled which I lean more towards struck over another coin bc it's not doubled die Obverse

Still, "no" from me.

When the forum is unanimous...

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

send to PCGS and get it authenticated. If it is what you think you will have a very unusual, if not unique, error.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file