Deleted

UrbanDecay04UrbanDecay04 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2021 7:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkRage666 said:

@thisistheshow said:
    I recommend going to an LCS and going through 90% or world silver. With time, patience, and knowledge, you can find beautiful coins worth much more than their melt values.

Thanks... I'm also trying to find some online too... since the only money I have is on PayPal... eBay is a good option but I was trying to find specific cheap coins that I can find in top tier condition (MS-60 thru MS-65)

You can do the same thing online. For example, I am someone who does just what I recommended to you. I have also gone on eBay and sorted through the endless sea of coins. And with patience and knowledge, it is possible to find the specific coins that stand out and are being sold for often near melt despite really deserving a premium.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2021 11:43AM

Also, if you want to find coins in that price range that are already slabbed in MS.....you can go after high grade clad moderns.

Edit to add: there are plenty of these available for far less than what it would cost to slab them yourself.

2nd edit to add: and many of these will be 1965-1999 clad American modern coins that someone else has already paid to get graded.

• Options
    MrweaseluvMrweaseluv Posts: 215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 11:42AM

if you don't have any yet, you might consider a reverse proof cents (2018-2020). or just a real nice MS w cent. most seem to be selling around 20 but if you look hard enough you could find one for 10 :smiley: Not overly expensive now, but i think they will do well in future :D

You may soar with the eagles, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!.
    https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/the-2020-20-large-cent-set.1855/

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2021 11:44AM

There's a gazillion of them raw, including clad commemorative halves in OGP.

Most clad moderns are going to be much cheaper than that raw. Some will even be cheaper than that slabbed, if you can find them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-S-Washington-Clad-Proof-State-Quarter-PCGS-PR69DCAM/223707632670?hash=item341603941e:g:uUYAAOSw1TxdpoKi&LH_BIN=1

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Also, if you want to find coins in that price range that are already slabbed in MS.....you can go after high grade clad moderns.

• Options

@Doubledragon

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    @Doubledragon

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

;)

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

My advice is look for easily found Double Die varieties in circulated grades.

Both copies of the Cherry Pickers Guide would help narrow your focus.

With out that resource, Variety Vista is free and likely more comprehensive.

Use True Views from PCGS for aid in pick up points.

Circulated coins in these series...

Lincoln Cents
    Indian Cents
    V Nickels
    Shield Nickels
    Buffalo Nickels
    Roosevelt Dimes
    Mercury Dimes
    Large Cents

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

1982 George Washington half uncirculated or proof

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

When shows resume in your area look for dealers with "Cheap Slab" boxes. These are filled with major brand slabs with nice but inexpensive coins that probably should never have been slabbed in the first place. They can be had in my area for $5-10 and most are PCGS or NGC with a few ANACS as well. You are essentially getting the slabbing done for free.! You might even be able to find a few cherry picks in the lots.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can find some really nice 90% silver Roosevelts in that price range.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @scotty4449

I think with some patience you can still find high quality raw silver Roosies and pre-60 Jeffersons in the wild at that price range, and probably a lot of late Lincoln Wheaties too.

As far as slabs go, it might get tougher on those, but I have seen modern slabs sell for 2 to 7 dollars quite often

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd ought to be able to put together a pretty nice set of Lincoln Memorials at that price. They're hard enough to find nice that it'd be a challenge, too.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever research local coin clubs in your area?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DarkRage666 ... Try to find a coin show in your area... you will have a great time and likely learn some good things... and even get some coins. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

@DarkRage666 if I were you, I would focus on circulated Mercury dimes. I wouldn't do anything clad. You want your collection to have the foundation of precious metal and complemented with numismatic value. Just my opinion.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stownsin said:
    @DarkRage666 if I were you, I would focus on circulated Mercury dimes. I wouldn't do anything clad. You want your collection to have the foundation of precious metal and complemented with numismatic value. Just my opinion.

Sage advice.
    I'd also consider a used Dansco Buffalo nickel album and slowly picking the best of the best in mid circulated grades.

peacockcoins

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of raw Mercuries on eBay that are in your price range.
    @DarkRage666 has offered you some sound advice. If you look hard and have some patience, you might grab a graded one from our host or NGC.
    Best of luck,
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file