Home Sports Talk

Interesting experience- Baseball cards -update 1953 Bowman- great players and HOF

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2021 7:07AM in Sports Talk

Recently had the opportunity to look at some older sports cards- mostly Baseball cards from the early to mid 1950s. I am not much of a collector but I looked at them to sort of test myself as to how many of the players I would recognize and even buy some of anything of interest surfaced. It was a humbling experience as I was unable to recall or just plain never heard of about half to 60% of the players. And there was much to learn... as an example, I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't know Vic Janowicz, the Ohio State Heisman winner in 1950 played for the Pirates... so I thought that card was interesting enough to buy.

There were others including familiar names such as Al Rosen, Mickey Vernon, John Mize as a Yankee, George Kell- I found 2 Kell cards - one when he was with the Red Sox and the other was with the White Sox, Preacher Roe, Eddie Yost, Gus Bell and Luke Easter (1953 and 54), Roy Sievers while on the St. Louis Browns and a later card from his days with the Senators. The other card I should have bought but didn't was Claude Osteen -not with the Senators... but the Reds. I didn't know he was with the Reds. Most are topps... there are a few Bowman cards including the Vernon, Yost, a Janowicz, Granny Hamner and Johnny Pesky.

The latest card I bought was a1967 Maury Wills... while it really did not fit in with the group, I bought it because I do recall that he played for the Pirates. In flipping the card over, I noticed the topps card number 570. I seemed to recall that high numbered cards are a plus for certain years... wasn't sure about 1967.

Thought this was interesting enough to share... I look forward to the comments about not buying the Osteen card... not knowing Janowicz played for the Pirates. But the Mize card really has the name John Mize and not Johnny Mize. I suppose that happens when one hits a certain age or hits 51 homers in a season.

I suspect the card collectors have some entertaining stories about what, when and how they learned when they least expected it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that card collecting is much like coin collecting. The more time you spend in the hobby, the more you realize how little you actually know. Those are a lot of great names from the 1950s - not heavyweights in terms of value, but solid players with interesting stories who were pictured on great cards. And if they were enough to jump out at you and begin to open your eyes to cards, then who are any of us to say they weren't worth the purchase.

One thing I enjoy is digging really deeply into very specific areas of the hobby to learn as much as I can. Of course that limits my knowledge in other areas. What is better, being a jack of all trades or a master of one or two? Probably depends on who you ask and what they like.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a coin guy who spends most of my time here in Sports Talk.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I added two cards to my 1953 topps set that really connect the past to the present at that time. The 1953 was the last season for Bobo Newsom and Dutch Leonard. Both had interesting careers- both had won twenty games in a season. Bobo could have been the only other pitcher to face Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle... but that opportunity was missed. He likely best remembered for his terrific season for the Tigers as well as his1940 WS appearance. Leonard was a twenty game winner for the Washington in 1939... seems to be an accomplishment given the team's overall record.

Also added Luke Easter- a powerful slugger for the Indians.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting because I am mostly a boxing card collector, but I'm starting to collect a little bit of everything. I love cards because they give me a connection to these great athletes and their amazing accomplishments. There is no feeling quite like adding a great card to my collection. The world of sports is a fascinating thing and is just filled with amazing stories. You see, athletes are gladiators, who give their blood, sweat, and tears for glory, and there's no better way to feel a connection to them than collecting their cards. All I do every day is search ebay for cards of certain athletes that fascinate me, and there's no feeling in the world like finding a good card and feeling a connection to that athlete. Today I'm involved in an auction of a card of a boxer who won his first 93 fights. He was 93-0 before he finally lost a fight, a record that will never be broken, and when I win this card, which I will, the feeling will be unbelievable because I will feel a connection to the boxer and his amazing beast-like accomplishment.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was collecting coins and cards, i recall right around kindergarten, maybe a little before that.

Coins were first, a Lincoln cent album, and baseball cards shortly thereafter.

Loved 'em then, love 'em now. :)

Also had a stamp collection, and still have it, but i haven't inserted a new stamp into that album in many years. I have been looking for a Penny Black stamp to buy, but only in decent condition at the right price.

@doubledragon said:
    and when I win this card, which I will, the feeling will be unbelievable

Yes, as predicted, I won my rare Jimmy Wilde card. I'm feeling very arrogant right now, and perhaps even a little rude.

I'm also feeling a bit cocky now, it just kicked in.

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes, as predicted, I won my rare Jimmy Wilde card. I'm feeling very arrogant right now, and perhaps even a little rude.

!

Nice card but it's a weird looking baseball uniform.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

Nice card but it's a weird looking baseball uniform.

Early prototype for the design later used by the 1970s White Sox.

@doubledragon said:
    I'm also feeling a bit cocky now, it just kicked in.

This thread has certainly turned

I just spent $3 on a fairly attractive 1955 topps Gus Zernial...

@coinkat said:
    I just spent $3 on a fairly attractive 1955 topps Gus Zernial...

All 1950's Topps baseball cards are at least fairly attractive. :)

Fair enough... I was thinking more in terms of its condition- nice surfaces and is likely in the 5-6 range. My point is that there are some stars -obviously not in the HOF- but their cards are very affordable. The 1953, 55 and 56 cards are tough to beat in terms of their design and artist merit.

great looking card... nice graphics

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    great looking card... nice graphics

Thank You 👍👍

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited May 9, 2021 12:17PM

Many thanks for posting the Mantles that has been graded... sort of interesting in that I would ventured a guess that the 56 would have graded higher than the 53. This was very helpful

And just to provide an update as to my progress on the 53 set, we have 131which consists of 28 after 220 and 47 that are SP.

All raw... not setting the collector world on fire... just moving in a direction that I hope others will consider.

And on a side note, I have found a handful of 1958 cards that really have a great look. I thought the Wally Post card with the dark back drop to have "the look"... making it special... at least in terms of composition.

And while there are those that may think collecting HOF and Rookie cards is where it is at... I will suggest and offer a simple alternative... art, graphics and composition. Composition is simply how the use of the card is utilized.

@Justacommeman

You of all here that participates hopefully will be on board with the basic concept

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ‘53 Mantle is his best looking card in my opinion.

Very helpful...and perhaps the real factor and rightly so should be the surfaces over the corners

@coinkat said:
    Very helpful...and perhaps the real factor and rightly so should be the surfaces over the corners

Here’s a work of art that can also pass for a baseball card, I suppose. Based on what you’ve offered and what it seems you’re describing - to me - this is probably one the greatest cards ever made. I am in the minority but that’s ok because it let me land a stunning copy AND still have all my vital organs:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Not sure what to write... other than OMG

@coinkat said:
    Not sure what to write... other than OMG

Right?

Such a great card - go get one!

@perkdog said:

The ‘53 Mantle is his best looking card in my opinion.

Paul, let me convince you otherwise:

It’s the namesake, baby!

The 1951-52 Bowman sports art is sublime, both football and baseball alike. As a frugal and eccentric collector, I had to wait long and look hard to find the right example of this card. There are LOTS of issues with the card - they’re tough to find centered, they came with lots of factory issued defects such as image blur, color saturation, fish eyes, and horizontal print lines are really common and because they’re a rookie card there’s always been a decent cost. Add in the kicker that the card was also the first in the set that year and you get a huge number that experienced the damage that came with being card #1 from a 1950s set caused by kids and their rubber bands. This one was sent in last year and was deemed to be not high grade; very few cards I have sent in have been. But I think it’s a strong example nonetheless.

I suspect I would have a better chance of having an audience with the Pope than finding the Gehrig card. I like the Ford card... looks better than a 4. Congrats

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I was collecting coins and cards, i recall right around kindergarten, maybe a little before that.

Also had a stamp collection, and still have it, but i haven't inserted a new stamp into that album in many years. I have been looking for a Penny Black stamp to buy, but only in decent condition at the right price.

I had Indian head pennies in the third grade. They were the coolest thing back then.

@Goldenage said:

@stevek said:

I had Indian head pennies in the third grade. They were the coolest thing back then.

I still love those Indian cents, although i'll admit, the ones i have now are in a "slightly" higher grade than when i was a kid. LOL

@coinkat said:
    I suspect I would have a better chance of having an audience with the Pope than finding the Gehrig card. I like the Ford card... looks better than a 4. Congrats

There’s a few on eBay right now. Need help, just ask.

I collect cards based on artistic merit as much as anything.

The Maris card looks terrific...

As for the Martin card... not saying it is not worthy of a 5.5, but is it really 1.5 higher than the Ford? I dunno about that. Perhaps there are differences that are readily apparent with an in hand review that I am not seeing.

nice images... many thanks for sharing. This has turned into an excellent thread... many helpful take aways

@coinkat said:

As for the Martin card... not saying it is not worthy of a 5.5, but is it really 1.5 higher than the Ford? I dunno about that. Perhaps there are differences that are readily apparent with an in hand review that I am not seeing.

nice images... many thanks for sharing. This has turned into an excellent thread... many helpful take aways

There’s a ripple on back. Right side of card back in raw image above, pre submission.

Hard to see in slab.

@coinkat said:

Tell the coin guys we don’t bite over here.

😂

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boomers and their Mantle's... ;)

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:
    Boomers and their Mantle's... ;)

Not a boomer, but there IS a Boomer in here...

...40 something year olds can’t be boomers but they can be Yankees fans and card collectors.

😉

@3stars

Not that I don’t love my Mickey’s...

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 12:53PM

Every time I see that Rivera card a part of me weeps.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:
    Every time I see that Rivera card a part of me weeps.

Why? Because he looks like an extra named “Drug Dealer #2” from an episode of Miami Vice ?

edited May 12, 2021 8:45AM

I need to re-think the level of my participation here

@coinkat said:
    I need to re-think the level of my participation here

I joined the forums in 2018 because of my interest in coins. I had no idea that there was a sports talk forum. Now I spend most of my time here, honestly.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for showing all the Yankee cards
    Mantles extraordinaire

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@coinkat

You could have lots of fun for not a ton with Wheaties panels...

Don’t you get the sense these were what Andy Warhol was staring at as a kid at the breakfast table?

The ongoing experience continues... Those of you that followed the Dodgers in the 1970s will likely remember Manny Mota... he was a terrific pinch hitter and held the MLB record at one point surpassing Smokey Burgess. Well... I did not know that his rookie season was with the Houston Colt 45's.

@coinkat said:
    The ongoing experience continues

I like this...

One new interesting find... Bowman 1955 card #216 which features Preacher Roe... but he is in an Orioles uniform. I did not know that he ever pitched in the AL. So I looked in my trusty Total Baseball Record Book and his last season appears to be 1954 in where else? Brooklyn. Anyone know anything about this?

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    One new interesting find... Bowman 1955 card #216 which features Preacher Roe... but he is in an Orioles uniform. I did not know that he ever pitched in the AL. So I looked in my trusty Total Baseball Record Book and his last season appears to be 1954 in where else? Brooklyn. Anyone know anything about this?

It's like the O-Pee-Chee cards that show the new team. My guess is that Roe couldn't make it out of spring training, but the back of the card is pretty clear on the expectation.

From baseball-reference.com "December 13, 1954: Traded by the Brooklyn Dodgers with Billy Cox to the Baltimore Orioles for John Jancse (minors), Harry Schwegman (minors) and $50,000."

Thought an update would be fun... found the 53 Topps Clem Labine rookie card (topps #14) as wells the 54 Bowman Labine (#106). Saw some heartbreakers... a 52 Topps Duke Snyder that was impaired to the point I had to pass. A 53 Bowman Gil Hodges that had enough condition issues that made think... but no cigar. I also found a 53 Bowman Hoyt Wilhelm (#28) which was B&W. Added the '59 Topps Orlando Cepeda

Just found the Topps 1961 Juan Marichal rookie card... He has always been on my list of most intimidating pitchers

Found the 1953 Lou Boudreau Bowman card... I was surprised to see him in Red Sox uniform. And Sid Gordon was with Milwaukee in '53... his Bowman card is an early one- #5. And what is somewhat surprising is how some terrific players' cards are treated as common cards or with a minimal premium- I added the following 53 Bowman cards- #8 Al Rosen; #11 Bobby Shantz; #12 Carl Erskine; #13 Gus Zernial; #28 Smoky Burgess- initially, I thought this was a rookie card but I was wrong; #30 Phil Cavarretta- had to buy this one being a Cubs fan and the same can be said for #69 Charlie Grimm- legendary Cubs player-mgr. Also in the haul were some other greats- #81 Enos Slaughter; #80 Ralph Kiner; #78 Carl Furillo and Ted Kluszewski. The '53 Bowman color set has legendary photography...