Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greatest US Coins - My Quest Obtain 32 - 39th Coin Added

gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2023 6:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

GOAL 32 of 100 Greatest Coins – Current Total 21

A couple of years ago I returned to collecting after a 15 year absence. I enjoy looking through PCGS registry sets and I found the 100 greatest coin set based on the second edition of the popular book. This book has always been a favorite of mine and I own all 5 editions. This PCGS set is not really a competitive set since it can not be completed. I noticed that after Hansen (66) and Eliasberg ( 59) next on the list are Carter and Dunham at 31. I thought it would be great if some day I could own 32. Since I don’t have the financial assets of the top collectors this quest is not easy. I must buy judicially. Often this means buying lower grade coins that are still attractive enough to be proud to own. I currently own 21 and plan to chronical this quest on the forum. Periodically, I will post each of the coins I have acquired and discuss a little bit about them.

The first coin I will show is an 1838 $1 J-84 Restrike PR63+:

This coin is #69 on the one hundred greatest list. It is from the Simpson Sale in early 2021. I paid $44,400 – current PCGS value $52,500. This is one of the Gobrect Dollars dated 1836,1838, and 1839. All of these are considered #69 on the list. According to Ron Guth about 15-20 of the restrikes survive. The originals are very rare with only 2 known.

Comments

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup!

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive quest! Good luck with the goal.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing the others.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a lovely example for grade. Really terrific example of a Gobrecht dollar. Look forward to seeing more.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it look forward to following along!

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa... nice coin!

Like the direction you have taken!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool and challenging set! Best of luck!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t wait to see the others!

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great quest! That J-84 Restrike is pretty awesome!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's a great start!

Can't wait to see the others.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have excellent taste! What a great way to start off an ambitious collection. Best of luck & I can't wait to see more!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a quest! A fantastic coin shared. Will you be adding to this thread or creating separate threads? Hopefully this thread so I can bookmark it.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

That should be an awesome set. Looking forward to it!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great coin... Thank you for showing us and I look forward to seeing more of your set. I will bookmark this so I do not miss future installments. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an awesome goal! I love reading about an "impossible" journey. It's all about journey and not the destination. I look forward to reading about each step forward and even missteps. Good luck !

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2021 12:56PM

@gschwernk said:

A couple of years ago I returned to collecting after a 15 year absence. I enjoy looking through PCGS registry sets and I found the 100 greatest coin set based on the second edition of the popular book. This book has always been a favorite of mine and I own all 5 editions. This PCGS set is not really a competitive set since it can not be completed. I noticed that after Hansen (66) and Eliasberg ( 59) next on the list are Carter and Dunham at 31. I thought it would be great if some day I could own 32. Since I don’t have the financial assets of the top collectors this quest is not easy. I must buy judicially. Often this means buying lower grade coins that are still attractive enough to be proud to own. I currently own 21 and plan to chronical this quest on the forum.

To get number 3 on the list ahead of Carter and Dunham would be an amazing accomplishment!

I doubt many people even contemplate beating Amon Carter or William Forrester Dunham!

Of note, Dunham is the 3rd person inducted in to the Chicago Coin Club's Hall of Fame!

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

32 coins in the 100 Greatest would be a great achievement! I currently have five with another two or three possibly affordable. The 1909-S VDB Cent is one of the easier ones to obtain.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk.... Very nice and certainly a special gold coin. I like the SN of the TruView as well...Cheers, RickO

• Options

The gold pieces are my favorite and this one does not disappoint.

She is a beauty.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gschwernk said:
    Many collectors consider this the nation’s first commemorative coin.

I certainly do. Great coin!

• Options

@divecchia said:
    The gold pieces are my favorite and this one does not disappoint.

She is a beauty.

Donato

Gold is also my favorite. Especially $20 Liberty. I have a few more gold coins from the top 100 that I will be posting on this thread.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Nice!!

• Options

I love the detail of the hair on your chain cent. Finding these pieces without any signs of corrosion or with enough meat on them and at an affordable grade is very challenging.

Congrats on this piece, she's a beauty.

Donato

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing stuff!

Just wonderful cross section of gorgeousness.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

I'm a big fan of 1848 CAL and like your example very much. Enjoying this thread

• Options

@Gazes said:
    I'm a big fan of 1848 CAL and like your example very much. Enjoying this thread

I am too! I feel very fortunate too obtain such a nice example for a price the I could afford.

• Options

That's a nice coin. You are playing in whale territory!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love the strike on that one. they took care of that during its many years :)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins.

• Options

@DRUNNER said:
    This is fast becoming an "all-time" thread . . . . .

Wonderful stuff . . . .

Drunner

Thanks. As long as there is forum interest I will continue my weekly post.

• Options

@gschwernk said:

@DRUNNER said:
    This is fast becoming an "all-time" thread . . . . .

Wonderful stuff . . . .

Drunner

Thanks. As long as there is forum interest I will continue my weekly post.

One of the few threads I actively look for. Keep it up!

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your collection is a middle/high end collection which is something many of us can strive towards with time and dedication. So many of the other collections we see posted are super high end that require boatloads of money. I follow the Hansen thread closely and it is a highlight of the forum for me. But I enjoy what you have been posting also. There are many dedicated collectors at all levels and I love seeing there progress on the forum. Well put together collections are interesting at all grade levels. The recent threads on the 1804 dollar and the Forsythe Half Dollar collection are wonderful for the majority of us that have not played in that pool and met the high end players.

Willy

• Options

We are just marine hitchhikers, or "remora", going along for the ride on you, the whale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzDWWzDenZQ
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding ... please continue !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, keep them coming. I only have 16 of them with only 3 more probable, the rest unobtainable.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

^That's a beauty!

• Options

I try to include as many proofs as I can in my US Type set as the strikes are generally superior. This one does not disappoint.

Congrats on a really nice piece!!!

Donato

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful !!!!!!!!

Drunner

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope to get pass 11 coins someday.

• Options

@gschwernk said:

A couple of years ago I returned to collecting after a 15 year absence. I enjoy looking through PCGS registry sets and I found the 100 greatest coin set based on the second edition of the popular book. This book has always been a favorite of mine and I own all 5 editions. This PCGS set is not really a competitive set since it can not be completed. I noticed that after Hansen (66) and Eliasberg ( 59) next on the list are Carter and Dunham at 31. I thought it would be great if some day I could own 32. Since I don’t have the financial assets of the top collectors this quest is not easy. I must buy judicially. Often this means buying lower grade coins that are still attractive enough to be proud to own. I currently own 21 and plan to chronical this quest on the forum. Periodically, I will post each of the coins I have acquired and discuss a little bit about them.

The first coin I will show is an 1838 $1 J-84 Restrike PR63+:

This coin is #69 on the one hundred greatest list. It is from the Simpson Sale in early 2021. I paid $44,400 – current PCGS value $52,500. This is one of the Gobrect Dollars dated 1836,1838, and 1839. All of these are considered #69 on the list. According to Ron Guth about 15-20 of the restrikes survive. The originals are very rare with only 2 known.

@gschwernk you state your goal is to get 32 of the top 100. You have studied the list much more than me. How did you arrive at 32? Do you have a larger number that may be a stretch but possible? Thanks

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 4:37PM

32 > 31 (Carter and Dunham).
    He might not stop at 32, but it's a good target for the time being, I think.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file