Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can a coin be struck multiple times on only one side?*UPDATED AGAIN with pics on 4/30 in last post.

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2021 3:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A co-worker today told me he had a 1964-D Nickel that was struck multiple times, but only on the reverse. Is that possible? He's supposed to bring it for me to look at soon. I will take pics of it and post to this thread when I see it in person.

Sorry about the quality of the phone pics.

Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not possible. It would be like clapping with one hand.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 4:52PM

Take pics of both sides even if it is pmd

Hammer - anvil

Perhaps the anvil was leather ??? can there be a decent looking single sided vice job?

Or, struck with a capped die?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think so.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems that if a coin became stuck to one of the dies it is possible that the other side could be struck more than once while the stuck side only received the initial strike.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's possible, but both sides would be struck, just one side would not have an image from the die (it would be from the planchet). It can occur if two planchets fall into the coining chamber and are not ejected after the first strike. Both coins would be double struck, each one with only one side showing the doubling and the other side appearing blank (since the planchet served as the die surface).

The the two coins remain in the coining chamber, then a third and fourth and ... etc ... can occur if the coins are not ejected.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Seems that if a coin became stuck to one of the dies it is possible that the other side could be struck more than once while the stuck side only received the initial strike.

"Die cap"

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen U.S.Proof coins that were given two strikes where the hammer die rotated a bit between impressions.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cap, etc. - in my mind the coin is still struck the same on both sides. It's just a question of what is striking the planchet.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

This just brought me back and I will date myself.
    I remember being a kid and watching the 6 Million Dollar Man.
    He had a mechanical arm. A mechanical arm, not both.
    He used to hold a chain in one arm and pull with the magical mechanical arm
    and break the chain. Wait What ! That would be like hooking one end
    of the chain to a truck and holding the other end while the truck drove away.
    Guess that's why we used to call it the boob tube. :)

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

well lets think this through..............
    Aren't proof coins struck more than once?
    if so, then this coin could have been struck twice with one of the dies rotating or doing what
    ever is the indication of multiple strikes

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

On Etsy, anything is possible . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options

Thanks everyone, I will get a picture of the coin and post it here as soon as I can.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Die cap, etc. - in my mind the coin is still struck the same on both sides. It's just a question of what is striking the planchet.

He didn't say it wasn't struck on both sides. He said it was only multiply struck on one side. That could mean it is singly struck on the other.

@habaraca said:
    if so, then this coin could have been struck twice with one of the dies rotating or doing what

The OP's coin is a 1964-D. It is not a proof.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say no.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We await the pictures.... Sometimes, the verbalization of an anomaly does not quite fit or truly describe the actual situation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Yes, it's possible, but both sides would be struck, just one side would not have an image from the die (it would be from the planchet). It can occur if two planchets fall into the coining chamber and are not ejected after the first strike. Both coins would be double struck, each one with only one side showing the doubling and the other side appearing blank (since the planchet served as the die surface).

The the two coins remain in the coining chamber, then a third and fourth and ... etc ... can occur if the coins are not ejected.

Is this comparable to "clapping with one hand" using someone else's hand too? Hey isn't that known as a HIGH FIVE? :)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRocco said:

@MWallace said:

This just brought me back and I will date myself.
    I remember being a kid and watching the 6 Million Dollar Man.
    He had a mechanical arm. A mechanical arm, not both.
    He used to hold a chain in one arm and pull with the magical mechanical arm
    and break the chain. Wait What ! That would be like hooking one end
    of the chain to a truck and holding the other end while the truck drove away.
    Guess that's why we used to call it the boob tube. :)

That's nothing. I just spent the past few nights watching Avengers movies.

• Options

@habaraca said:

Yes, that's what I said.

It is actually not that rare on the S-mint Proofs from 1968 well into the 1970's.

It is also possible on the 1967 SMS coins, some or all of which were given double strikes.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

He didn't say it wasn't struck on both sides. He said it was only multiply struck on one side. That could mean it is singly struck on the other.

I'm not buying it. :)

When any coin is struck, it is struck on both sides. If there are not two dies then there is no pressure created that strikes up the design. (Uniface medals or die trials not included here, but even in those cases it could be argued that the flat anvil/base is a striking surface). If there is a die cap then one side won't be struck directly by a die but by a die with a cap, but it is still struck.

In the scenario where a coin is struck twice but one die turns slightly in between strikes, the coin is still struck twice. But one side shows two images.

We need pictures. The coin is most likely either some fantastic error where the owner has not properly captured what happened in his description, or it is a coin with one side planed off.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 2:24PM

There is a hammer die, and an anvil die (leave the edge die out for now). Although one is moving and the other is stationary, the force and pressure is equal on both dies, and both sides of the planchet. If the anvil die does not rotate or move in multiple strikes but the hammer die does, and if the planchet does not move off the anvil die, the coin side from the anvil die will appear as a single strike.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2021 2:28PM

He did say that the coin looks mostly normal on the obverse and looks to have received multiple strikes on the reverse. I did tell him that I thought it would have to be struck the same number of times on each side unless it became sandwiched between another coin and the reverse die. I look forward to seeing it and hopefully it is at least an authentic error.

Trade $'s
  • Options

Bump for update with pics in 1st post

Trade $'s
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2021 3:31PM

bump

for new pics in OP

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it seems to me as i read the title anyway that there are several ways that could happen. we see them posted here fairly often.

die caps, general multi-strucks, brockages, struck-through die caps and i'm sure a couple others.

i'm not saying the coin in the op is legit by any means, just as the way the question is asked is a yes.

just for those that dont know.

a coin stuck to the anvil die (bottom) can be struck from the hammer die (top) oriented as coin strike but hammer die can rotate a little or a lot and more than once between strikes and the die will continue to be struck until it is somehow ejected, bounced, flicked or pulled etc. and the possibly rotating hammer die will also keep doing so until someone catches it.

a coin stuck to the hammer die (top) will have a normal-ish obv with a slowly obliterating reverse going from clean brockage to flat and mushy nothing. can a coin stuck to a hammer die rotate with the obv die between strikes, obviously and keeping its crisp design although i'm not entirely sure i've seen rotated brockages but there's gotta be some.

my 2c

ps. i hope we get crisp images of that rev. something seriously funky is going on.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD, not an error coin.

• Options

Fake error made by squeezing coins together.

• Options

I agree that its PMD, but it is not a typical squeeze job since the lettering is not reversed.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Options
    edited April 26, 2021 5:27PM

@CaptHenway said:

The extra letters are above the coins surface, not "pressed" into them. So I do not understand this logic. I tried to replicate a similar coin by squeezing coins together in a vice and the results were letters pressed into the other coins surface and they were backwards.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:
    The extra letters are above the coins surface, not "pressed" into them. So I do not understand this logic. I tried to > replicate a similar coin by squeezing coin together in a vice and the results were letter pressed into the other
    coins surface and they were backwards.

that is what i mean by funky. it looks like to me the letters are "raised" at least on one side and possibly both, which is why i hope we get a better image of the reverse.

at the very least, good conversation and learning.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:

@CaptHenway said:

The extra letters are above the coins surface, not "pressed" into them. So I do not understand this logic. I tried to replicate a similar coin by squeezing coins together in a vice and the results were letters pressed into the other coins surface and they were backwards.

Now take the coin you made (lets call it Coin 2) and press it into another new nickel (Coin 3). The image you create in Coin 3 will be faint and raised, basically you made Coin 2 into a weak die when you pushed Coin 1 into it like a hub. That's one way I can think of to make a coin like the OP's, I'm sure there are others.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2021 6:59PM

If you look at the bottom of the coin were States of America is located you can clearly see where the letters that shouldn't be there are under the States of America without flattening them. On the top of the reverse the M of E Pluribus Unum is on top of the underlying letters without damage. I'm not saying it's legit, but trying to understand how it could be produced by any type of squeeze method. Thanks for the opinions so far.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leather

• Options

@TennesseeDave said:
    If you look at the bottom of the coin were States of America is located you can clearly see where the letters that shouldn't be there are under the States of America without flattening them. On the top of the reverse the M of E Pluribus Unum is on top of the underlying letters without damage. I'm not saying it's legit, but trying to understand how it could be produced by any type of squeeze method. Thanks for the opinions so far.

I share your curiosity about how it was done, but on the flip side there is no way it can be an error and look like that. So, it is PMD of one kind or another.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

Is this comparable to "clapping with one hand" using someone else's hand too?

Or better yet, use one hand on some deserving person's face ;)

PS:
    I think the coin was a "vice job" of some sort. It would take multiple transfers, in the right order and position to produce that. The tricky part is preserving the relatively high thin rims of the host coin.

Here is a vice job I did once (note the well-transferred "S" mint mark between the date digits):

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Onastone said:

PS:
    I think the coin was a "vice job" of some sort. It would take multiple transfers, in the right order and position to produce that. The tricky part is preserving the relatively high thin rims of the host coin.

Here is a vice job I did once (note the well-transferred "S" mint mark between the date digits):

The picture isn't showing up. I would like to see it. FWIW I am going to get better pics of the nickel and post them here at a later date.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2021 1:04PM

@TennesseeDave said:

The picture isn't showing up.

Hmmmmm, the pictures showed up for me. It's a Kennedy half married with an Ike, but only on the obverse. Dcarr is amazing.

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eisenhower dollar and the Kennedy. The S mint mark would not be from a Franklin.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

False dies- see seanq's post. There are a lot of these 'errors' floating around. Most of the ones I've seen have been on state quarters.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

I talked a guy at a renaissance festival to use his medallion press to make something similar.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@TennesseeDave said:

@dcarr said:

@Onastone said:

PS:

The picture isn't showing up. I would like to see it. FWIW I am going to get better pics of the nickel and post them here at a later date.

They don't show up for me, either.

• Options

@1946Hamm said:
    Eisenhower dollar and the Kennedy.

Oooops, my mistake. I meant Kennedy. Corrected- thanks!

• Options

@JBK said:

ohhhh..... he's had this happen before. this is one of those location dependent problems.

I'm not sure he'd want me to post them into the web site, or I'd just do it.

try viewing the thread on your phone

• Options

Thx, but I do view it on my phone.
    :p

Maybe later I'll try the tablet.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@TennesseeDave said:

@dcarr said:

@Onastone said:

PS:

I don't know what the problem is - some setting on my web hosting, not sure what.
    Anyway, here are links to the pictures:

Obverse: designscomputed.com/coin_pics/kenn_error_obv.jpg
    Reverse: designscomputed.com/coin_pics/kenn_error_rev.jpg

• Options

Thx!

• Options

dcarr that's an amazing piece that you were able to able to create. Thanks for sharing it .

Trade $'s
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 6:56PM

Sometimes a second strike in one side is less visible because the first strike might have been obliterated by the second strike. Seems less likely on nickels than something softer. Really need high power photos.

• Options

Here are some pics I just took of the coin out of the holder.

Trade $'s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file