Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 4:25PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

It says 600 pages long.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think one of your key takeaways is that there are a ton of contemporary fakes and potentially many in TPG holders

@Boosibri said:
    I think one of your key takeaways is that there are a ton of contemporary fakes and potentially many in TPG holders

Then maybe it will help me identify some in holders and save me from buying them. That is a good thing. I don't own many so far about 10 altogether so I will read it and use the knowledge to protect myself.

@Boosibri said:

Have you ever spotted any in holder from NGC or PCGS?

edited February 24, 2021 1:45AM

Picked this one up as well today on Ebay. Will buy the new one when it comes out as well that includes the 8 Reales.

• EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Picked this one up as well today on Ebay. Will buy the new one when it comes out as well that includes the 8 Reales.

Great purchase. This one does have 8 reales in it but only the portrait series and only the Mexico city mint.

I believe you are referring to the book on the pillar series from Mexico city mint, which only has the minors.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021 7:30PM

Bob Gurney's book has lots of great information about how regal milled Spanish colonial coins were made in contrast to the many different ways counterfeits have and are being made. His posts at coincommunity.com are also quite informative. We have some recent posts about the broken castle and porthole/keyhole anomalies that do appear in slabbed examples.

edit to add links

edited February 24, 2021 6:41PM

@jgenn said:
    Bob Gurney's book has lots of great information about how regal milled Spanish colonial coins were made in contrast to the many different ways counterfeits have and are being made. His posts at coincommunity.com are also quite informative. We have some recent posts about the broken castle and porthole/keyhole anomalies that do appear in slabbed examples.

It arrived from amazon today looks like a great book. Will be spending my evening reading with coffee by the fire and music. With my pet could not be happier and just finished cooking a great diner. Some times ain't life grand!!!