PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 4:33PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 4:33PM

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the whole market is suffering during COVID19 times, not just eBay. Many dealers are dry.

@Abuelo said:
    I think the whole market is suffering during COVID19 times, not just eBay. Many dealers are dry.

Thanks that never even crossed my mind. Is eBay usually better?

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think eBay is just reflecting what is available out there. With little action out there eBay reflects that is its offerings.

I guess people are holding on to what they own.

• WorldGoldWorldGold Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021 6:07PM

I got this one on ebay. I think the catalog number is wrong.

How much are you asking?

edited February 21, 2021 6:21PM

I was just showing it as something from ebay. (Look at the great die work on this medal.)

edited April 22, 2022 4:34PM

What coin is $950 ?

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@Abuelo said:

Thanks that never even crossed my mind. Is eBay usually better?

Abuelo's observations are consistent with mine. Look at Heritage's listings recently for Latin America generally, way below what they have had in the past. Mexico has more than the other countries I check (Bolivia, Guatemala and Peru) but still much less than previously.

As for eBay, I have subscribed to a search for Bolivia 1767-1770 and Peru 1752-1772 for two to three years now. For Bolivia, I have bought four coins during this time with one currently I might buy later (duplicate). For Peru, eight (some duplicates) but none better than VF (most noticeably lower) and including minor problems, There have been some coins above my price range (all but one are 8R) but otherwise, everything else was or is "dreck"; holed or otherwise damaged or in such a bad state of preservation most will consider it uncollectible. Availability is overwhelmingly concentrated in the more available dates. As example, Peru 1/2R is mostly 1756-1758 and 1761.

I was able to buy two from both mints last year, 1753 and 1769 Peru 1/2R , First is G-VG with light reverse scratches. Second is a rare date, around VF but needs conservation. It appears to have a layer of residue on the obverse but not on the reverse.

If you check Mexico like I do, I believe you will find numerous items fitting the search criteria, as there are far more listed. I don't check 1/2R regularly, but the selection is much better. The challenge you may have is with the ask prices (some very inflated) or it may be a duplicate for you, since some dates will show up fairly regularly (like 1751) while others essentially never do.

Yes, that medal for $950 is a much more affordable one. Looks good for AU58.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as 1/2 Reales from Mexico it's mostly always the same 60 to 70 coins on eBay and 8 Reales mostly the same 400 or so and not many from 1823-1897 in very scarce or rarer. Some times a good one shows up at a fair price. I missed out on a 1735 1/2 Reales in my grade and price range sold very fast.

I am just not use to that since Canadian coins and US coins are always packed with new stuff almost daily.

I am going to start looking at bidding in places like Heritage auctions from now on and still look daily at eBay.

Don’t forget Stacks Bowers

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭

What I started to do again, was to go directly to the places I normally went, but with this new normal, I tend to stay in home the most.

On this past weekend, one of the guys, had several 8 Reales, from different places, most of them from Mexico, also saw two of 8 Reales Agustin I coins, one of 1 Peso Hidalgo Del Parral 1913, some of the New Spain silver coins with a cross (on this sorry do not asked any more info, since were kind of expensive 2K each), end up just buying some US coins, and 1830 2 Soles from Bolivia, and also a 1886 5 Bolivares, that I sold yesterday right away.

As far as 1/2 Reales from Mexico it's mostly always the same 60 to 70 coins on eBay and 8 Reales mostly the same 400 or so and not many from 1823-1897 in very scarce or rarer. Some times a good one shows up at a fair price. I missed out on a 1735 1/2 Reales in my grade and price range sold very fast.

I am just not use to that since Canadian coins and US coins are always packed with new stuff almost daily.

I am going to start looking at bidding in places like Heritage auctions from now on and still look daily at eBay.

No, not much turnover because the prices are inflated for what is being offered.

I don't look for Cap & Ray on eBay and never have. I consider the 1/2R the second most common after the 8R. However, like the other preferred Latin coinage, supply of better material has probably dried up.

A whole lot of coins on eBay are graded NGC detail I don't mind the early pillars say from 1732 to 1750 in that grade but after that I prefer owning numerical grades.

I would try to avoid buying the more common dates in problem holders but you will likely find that if you want a better example, it will be your only choice for most or at least a noticeable proportion. Take a look in the Heritage archives at the Rudman collection. He had a mostly complete set of all denominations by Gilboy die variety and to my recollection, every date. However, even as a big budget collector, still had a lot of "details" coins. If he couldn't find anything better, no one else likely will either.

@bidask said:

Don’t forget Stacks Bowers

Will keep track of them as well. Thanks.

Stacks and Dan Sedwick offered a noticeable selection on a few occasions, but not recently.