Home Sports Talk
Options

nothing here

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 9, 2021 4:06PM in Sports Talk

Time to get the season started!
The Sox have made serious changes to their lineup this year and you won't recognize their starters in most cases.
Lets give them a chance to show what they are or are not capable of.
General manage Bloom has been very busy and did not give up the farm to make over last years miserable team.
He also did not over pay for any washed up overpaid players just to make him look good which is a good start.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping for a good year. Like I said, hate the Cora rehire.

• Options

I did not like it either but I am not paying the bill so the decision was made and we have to hope it was the right one. He is popular with the players and they need to be happy for the team to be successful.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I did not like it either but I am not paying the bill so the decision was made and we have to hope it was the right one. He is popular with the players and they need to be happy for the team to be successful.

I responded to your comment in another thread about second chances. I agree with you that everyone deserves one. Thinking about this, however, I see it more as he deserves a second chance to remake himself. But not necessarily in baseball, just because the cheating was so egregious. I see this as bring embarrassment and shame on the team.

But I will root for them to win. And your thoughts about this have helped ease my mind a bit.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could not disagree more.

First:
    Cora did what he did with malice aforethought. He cheated many times and was in collusion with others. To gain what? A playoff spot and eventually the WS...his cohorts and those that conspired, but not exposed, should be found out and BANNED FROM BASEBALL What about the players he impacted and they weren't just the Astros or Red Sox? He intentionally and knowingly brought his cheating skills with him from the Astros to the Red Sox. This was not a mistake, it was done INTENTIONALLY!!

Second:
    He brought incredible disgrace to the entire Red Sox organization that will forever leave a huge stain anytime "Red Sox" comes into a conversation. Like Brady with 7 super bowl wins...inflate gate will always be associated with him. Because of this doofus Cora, the Red Sox will always be called cheaters

Third:
    He lied and tried to deceive until there was overwhelming evidence to prove what he did. He didn't have the stones to come clean and admit he'd done wrong. Recall this was the guy who was too good to visit the White House to honor their WS accomplishment...he could have at least gone to Walter Reed to visit the war wounded...but, he was off to Puerto Rico.

Fourth:
    He caused incredible shame to his family...imagine the trash they had and have to endure. School yard kids can be incredibly brutal.

Fifth:
    His and Hinch's punishment made them laugh all the way to the bank. Cora's known net worth is in excess of $10m, I doubt he missed a meal, favorite cigar, or, while temporarily banished did little more than party with friends in Puerto Rico.

Now the wizard, one Chaim Bloom decides to bring him back. A pox on him and Cora. I would rather he had bet on baseball like Rose did than outright cheat...betting is one thing, cheating is loathsome. Cora's actions do not fall into the arena of 2nd chances, that type of forgiveness is for minor offenses, mistakes in life, NOT for intentionally cheating an impacting the lively hood of others.

I could care less if the Red Sox go 0-162, or 162-0. I have better things to do with my life that watch this silly Chaim Bloom dog and pony Red Sox show. Because he is popular with the players, and "they need to be happy to be successful" is nonsense. They are professional athletes, the lowest paid guy is paid a fortune for playing a kid's game at the highest level, barely 6 months a year. They are expected to perform and should not have to be coddled or offered some hot chocolate and an apple fritter if they're having a slump. I don't care if they're happy or sad, perform as best you can, or work at Home Depot.

Obviously, I will post very little in this thread, if at all. Maybe Cora can look up Sammy and get some corked bats in the lineup.

CHEATING IS CHEATING...IT SHOULD NEVER BE FORGIVEN

• Options

Unfortunately cheating has become a way of life in the past 10 years or so all over the world I feel everybody's pain on Cora.. I doubt if Bloom was the big decision member in the hiring of Cora. It is what it is ! I will still watch the Sox because I always have and have nothing else to do anyway.

• Options

Steve,

I hope the season and the team provide you with hours and hours of happiness and joy!! I mean that sincerely.

I just can't get my head around the cheating thing and Cora's attitude about it until he got caught. We appear to have a spineless Commissioner who only slaps wrists. he, who makes about $11m per year and has a net worth in excess of $25m, he too is laughing all the way to the bank. Good thing I don't hold that job, there would be some seriously unemployed stars. With me, you either play the game straight up, or don't play...pretty simple.

Take care in ABQ!!
    Al

• Options

I know you do Al and I thank you for it. Baseball isn't what it was 20 years ago for sure ! This country is changing so fast I can't keep up with it. I will just stay in my little cocoon and watch the world go by.

• Options

I believe in second chances. But I don't think that his second chance should have come in the form of being rehired. It makes it obvious that this was the plan all along.

The Red Sox are my team, so I feel like they are putting me in a tough spot with this. I don't live in the Boston area anymore so I am not able to get the general feeling of other fans.

I am of the belief that MLB had their hands tied in terms of punishments regarding the cheating. Meaning they really could not dig too deep or be too punitive. Why? Because if they did, it would have been a domino effect, an avalanche. It would have buried the game. And so essentially they chose to do nothing. But to bring Cora back, as an organization, is a slap in the face of the fans who want the Red Sox to represent what they have always represented.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see, the Red Sox have a catcher who never really panned out, no first or second baseman, a shortstop who can hit but is bad defensively, a third baseman who can hit but is horrible defensively, one promising but largely unproven outfielder and two who are fourth outfielders at best. A DH who was good at age 30, much worse at 31, dropped off a cliff at 32, and who we're supposed to believe will be "back" at 33. A starting rotation based on hope, and a complete patchwork bullpen that can be summed up best by the Boston Globe expecting the best reliever to be the one the Yankees paid them to take.

I said before last season that the Sox would be fighting it out with Baltimore for fourth place. I was overly optimistic last year, but will say the same this year as I believe it is foolish to have confidence that the Orioles will not finish last.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Sox!!! That’s pretty much all I can muster right now 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Thats a step in the right direction . The rest will be up to the players . As long as they play hard and do their best I will be happy.

• Options

The pitching sure looks to be in better shape than it was last year.

• Options

Here in Texas, one of my go-to hats is a 2018 WS Red Sox hat which fits just perfectly. I think I mentioned the following before...... that summer I was up to Massachusetts visiting for the first time in forever. I really wanted to go to a game. I went with my youngest son, who isn't a sport person at all but at least came, my step-father (who watches every game , but never goes to games anymore, other than a couple spring training every year when they are snow birding) and my Uncle (Vietnam Vet who also watches every game, goes sometimes, awesome guy, love him, lots of fun talking sport, life, etc). Had a great time at Fenway. Hadn't been there since some time in the early 90s or late 80s. When we won the World Series that year, it all had come together for me and felt amazing.... a lot of it because of being up there, going to a game, re-connecting, etc... I just wanted to share that, and say I will try to find some passion for this year. It is hard, I've said what I needed to on Cora, the rest is out of my hands.

In the words of @perkdog ......... GO SOX!!!

• Options

Sundays game is on tv and NESN will carry 10 games in March, Mar 6,7,13,14,19,21,24,25,28 and30. Looking forward to them.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 9:32AM

After taking a peek at the active Red Sox roster, I could only recognize a handful of names. Most disappointing to see gone was Benintendi to KC. Next to more than likely disappear will be JBJ...with Boras as his agent, he will ask for the solar system to resign him. I think he wants a multi-year deal with enough money to fill Fenway up to the first row of the Green Monster. I'll predict he signs with the Mets. Well, Bloom did say he's "become very fond of JBJ", so maybe there's hope. So typical of trying to grease the skids...Boras will run rings around this guy.

Here is the man who holds the keys to the kingdom...he who resigned Cora, traded Benny and made no big splash trades in the off season. He's just going through the motions...he can't even say the Red Sox are competitive enough to reach the playoffs in 2021. Both pics taken during press conferences...does he look confident to you, or silently praying he can pull off a miracle? I see the latter. Like DUMBrowski, NESN will show occasional pics of him (as mentioned before) of him studying the game, laptop, pens, pencils, paper, all de riguer for the masses.

Sad times ahead for the Red Sox Faithful. I doubt the team will be competitive for years to come. Too much glue is gone, I see no cohesive team, just a bunch of young dudes making big bucks playing a kid's game.

FWIW, I hope I am very, very wrong. However, Red Sox history tells us otherwise.

• Options

The 04 Red Sox did not look like a great team either so there is hope for this year and I am rooting for them to surprise everyone. I just hope they don't stink up the place.

• Options

I managed to force myself to watch the game today...the one with the 3 errors, sloppy play and High School-like performance. Even Remy and OB oftentimes mentioned how poorly they looked. Yup, not the starting rotation, but still, they're supposed to be pros...I'd almost bet a good High School team would have beaten them today.

If that's all they've got in the wings for up and coming players, it's gonna be (as predicted), a very, very long season with dismal results. I doubt the team will finish better than 4th, more than likely last place in the AL East. Last year was a mess for everybody, so I won't count, or consider their last place finish.

I wouldn't hope too hard, maybe a little, but I think the Red Sox will disappoint for years to come. They stink!!

• Options

I saw it too and also was not impressed.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been a red sox fan for a very long time. I am having a hard time this year getting motivated to follow. I hate the Cora rehire. honestly, I didn't care for him before the firing. he just seemed grumpy, in a bad mood and curt to reporters during most press conferences.

we had a great homegrown outfield, like in 75, and Bloom has let it go. I loved following those guys.

Youtube TV has dropped NESN so I guess that is the signal that I am not to follow the sox this year. they will be on the radio in the background however.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I agreed getting rid of Betts because he wanted too much money. No one needs that much money to play
    a game in my opinion but I could not see letting Benentendi go. Bradley also wants more that he should get so how do you keep players like that on a roster. MLB wants to keep all teams on an equal level by making the owners in check with the amount they can spend on players. If they go over the amount they are allowed to spend it costs big money in fines. Pretty hard to stay under that level and pay enormous salaries to too many players and the players want all they can get. Where it all ends I sure don't know but it is ruining baseball as I once knew it.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Been a red sox fan for a very long time. I am having a hard time this year getting motivated to follow. I hate the Cora rehire. honestly, I didn't care for him before the firing. he just seemed grumpy, in a bad mood and curt to reporters during most press conferences.

we had a great homegrown outfield, like in 75, and Bloom has let it go. I loved following those guys.

Youtube TV has dropped NESN so I guess that is the signal that I am not to follow the sox this year. they will be on the radio in the background however.

I share your sentiments, but, I didn't want to be a hypocrite by not at least watching an occasional game to witness the ineptitude, or the excellent play of the team overall. What I witnessed yesterday was a fiasco, 3 errors...early Spring Training or not, they are supposed to be professional athletes, who (one would think), would be in superb shape through the off-season. Apparently this may not be the case, as there appears to be a need for extensive workouts, training, stretching, etc, etc. Now the idiotic 20 pitch mercy rule and games ending in the 7th inning. Oh yeah, going 1-7 in the RISP department doesn't exactly indicate a stellar performance. They looked like a bunch of Rookie hacks. The team is 0-2, and in the cellar of the Grapefruit league.

I could not agree more about Cora. Suffice it to say he's permanently on my S-list. I just don't like the guy - PERIOD He should have been permanently banned from baseball. Of course he chirps away at how good the team is gonna be, Mr. Positive, no mas cheating, I promise. What a turd.

While were in the who don't I like arena, I seriously dislike Chaim Bloom and his fancy title of Chief Baseball Officer for the Boston Red Sox. BFD on that!! Overhyped, overpaid, and waaaaaaaaaaaay over his head.

As for watching the games...if you have Directv, you can opt for the "Choice" package (I used to have the Entertainment package), which allows you to get channel 213, the MLB channel. You will then get a variety of games, including a mix of Red Sox games, both home and away. Most broadcasts are NESN connected, so you'll get Remy and OB as announcers with Eck thrown in.

How I dearly miss those Summer days at Hampton Beach with my little transistor radio listening to Curt Gowdy and the players of those days! Never gonna be like that again. Sadly.

• Options

Yea, Curt was great but unfortunately baseball has changed so it is not even close to what it was back then. I remember going to Braves field and watching Spahn pitch with my father and hearing the train whistles. seeing the splendid spitter , as my father used to call Ted, play. Now we never even know who is going to be playing in any position from year to year.

• Options

Yup, you're right, never gonna be the same. Those that didn't experience those times missed a lot of wonderful baseball, remarkable players and thrilling games.

• Options

This years team is a patchwork of players so who knows what will develop as the season goes along but I am just glad we will have a season at all. Some of the young players show promise. I have mixed feelings about Jackie Bradley leaving but contracts today warrant him leaving I guess. You can only have so many players making big money and past moves by the Sox have hamstrung them and we don't need any more of that for sure.

• Options

now our once-promising homegrown outfield is gone.

• Options

Yea but don't overlook the guy we got for Betts and we have a young center fielder that could be less than a year away from the show. I'm sure someone will be able to play left and the money saved will keep them under the salary cap allowing room for whatever comes up at mid season if needed.

• Options

true, I also understand the need to get under the cap. they were about to start losing draft pics because they had been over for so long.

• Options

Get ready, the game is on NESN in about an hour.

• Options

WOW, not a peep from the Fenway Faithful about the JBJ trade to Milwaukee. Seems to me that this thunderous deal mandated a comment from other than me!! I did peek at the stats and the team roster...I hardly recognized most players, all "up and comers", with few exceptions. I had to really LMAO over reading how Cora...you know, the cheater , was saying how he was talking with JBJ on a daily basis, but NADA about beisbol...only family stuff. Sure Alex, we believe that like we all believe in the Easter Bunny. Loooooooooooozer.

The final nail in the killer B outfield trifecta...Benintendi - KC; Betts - LA; Bradley - Milwaukee. And of course the Red Sox king maker or not, one Chaim Bloom gave pink slips to 12 wannabes to ride the buses in A ball somewhere.

Oh ye of Red Sox Nation...twill be many a year before ye enjoy the thrill of WS ball on the green, green grass of Fenway!!

• Options
    edited March 10, 2021 6:06PM

You are probably right but I have enjoyed the titles this century as compared to the last one. My father would have loved to see even one but he did not in his 85 years.

• Options

any word on when sale will be back?

• Options

I doubt if he will make it back until after the all star break at the earliest.

• Options

oh man. that sucks. I know it has been almost exactly a year since surgery and he started a throwing program in November I think. He will be one of the few bright spots. things are a little more electric when he starts

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    You are probably right but I have enjoyed the titles this century as compared to the last one. My father would have loved to see even one but he did not in his 85 years.

Steve...I think you may have missed the point. First, I take no excessive joy over bashing the current managerial complement on Yawkey Way, but I do call 'em like I see "em. I think Bloom is over his head, and I think Cora should have been banned from baseball...those thoughts will not change. If you think Cora deserves another chance, that's fine, that's your thought on the topic.

The Red Sox are clearly not the team of 2004 up to and including 2019. 2020 was a wash. We all enjoyed the thrill of the winning teams, the cohesiveness, the stellar plays, the home runs and the come from behind wins. HOWEVER, that is ancient history. I was really surprised that nobody mentioned the JBJ trade...I would think that would have been a hot topic, but nothing but crickets. The trades recently made have decimated the team and it will not ever be better (IMO) for years to come. Far too many bone-headed moves that have cost the Red Sox organization nothing but untold millions and millions of wasted $$$. Pedroia is a case in point, as was the fat guy at 3rd base, as well as HanRam. I could add others.

When I see something (although I don't follow the team very much), that I can appreciate and see that its really a positive, I'll post about it. When I see something that appears dumb, I'll post about it too. So, let us not live in the past, that ship has sailed long, long ago. The yearly objective is to win the WS, and I don't see Bloom doing much to accomplish the task at hand.

But, enjoy the games. The excitement for me just isn't really there. I think the Cora thing nailed it for me.

• Options

I understand your feelings about Cora And Bloom Al. I just want to watch some baseball this year and hope for the best from the sox . I just hope they are competitive and win more games than they lose. Those bad deals they made a few years ago are all gone now and I sure don't want to see any more of them. Time will tell on Bloom as he will only go as far as upper management will let him. The billionaire above him will dictate that. It's all about the money!

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    WOW, not a peep from the Fenway Faithful about the JBJ trade to Milwaukee. Seems to me that this thunderous deal mandated a comment from other than me!! I did peek at the stats and the team roster...I hardly recognized most players, all "up and comers", with few exceptions. I had to really LMAO over reading how Cora...you know, the cheater , was saying how he was talking with JBJ on a daily basis, but NADA about beisbol...only family stuff. Sure Alex, we believe that like we all believe in the Easter Bunny. Loooooooooooozer.

The final nail in the killer B outfield trifecta...Benintendi - KC; Betts - LA; Bradley - Milwaukee. And of course the Red Sox king maker or not, one Chaim Bloom gave pink slips to 12 wannabes to ride the buses in A ball somewhere.

Oh ye of Red Sox Nation...twill be many a year before ye enjoy the thrill of WS ball on the green, green grass of Fenway!!

What trade? Bradley was a free agent and was no more likely to re-sign in Boston than Betts was, IMO. In any event, the Sox wouldn't have made a serious run at either of them.

• Options

No way they would have ever signed Betts as he wanted the world to sign. JBJ is a great fielder but a very streaky hitter that wanted more money than he was worth. Benentendi was also a streaky hitter and the sox got something for him before he would not bring much in a trade.
    I like the idea of trading players before they reach their top potential and demand the big money that comes with it.The Red Sox tried to do it the other way and pay the big money for these free agents and it did not work so lets try it the other way and see what happens.

• Options

they did bring in lots of FA, but the teams core was made up of mainly home grown talent. you had all 3 outfield positions, C, SS, 3b all home grown from the last world series team. that is 6 out of 8 position players.

the problem is, they brought in so many overbloated FA contracts they couldn't afford to retain the home grown players.

it killed me to see betts go. Had they not been destroyed by so many FA contracts they could have afforded to pay him.

• Options

@daltex said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

What trade? Bradley was a free agent and was no more likely to re-sign in Boston than Betts was, IMO. In any event, the Sox wouldn't have made a serious run at either of them.

You are correct...really a play on words. The Red Sox should have made a better run at keeping him. Another talent slipping through the hands of one Chaim Bloom. Still, I think it was odd that there was not a peep about JBJ signing with Milwaukee.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@daltex said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

You are correct...really a play on words. The Red Sox should have made a better run at keeping him. Another talent slipping through the hands of one Chaim Bloom. Still, I think it was odd that there was not a peep about JBJ signing with Milwaukee.

Oh. That's because no ne in the entire world thought he would re-sign in Boston.

• Options

The Sox game this afternoon was a pleasure to watch as the pitching was major league caliber. The hitting was timely with most of the players being of major league caliber. They will also be televising tomorrow afternoons game.

• Options

More games on TV this weekend. The core players look pretty good and they will win some games this year.

• Options

Because of the massive changes this past winter the Red Sox could have a very competitive team this year.

• Options

I sure hope so. I am anxious to see Sale back and better than ever. I love watching him pitch

• Options

Took a quick peek at some stats about making it to the playoffs. According to Zach Rhymer of Bleacher Report, he claims the 2021 Red Sox teams has a paltry 20% chance of making the playoffs. How does he come up with such a statistic? He claims the Yankees have an 85% chance of making the playoffs. The Red Sox team has a lot of new faces, how can anyone predict with any confidence how a team will do? The Orioles, BTW, have a zero chance, according to him.

Also took a look at ticket prices at Fenway. WHOA!! Just to sit in the bleachers will hit you for a little over $100 each. I remember $.75 per ticket to sit in the bleachers...but, that was a very long time ago. But, $100?? I have to add that they are including social distancing, thus fewer people...maybe that's why things are so crazy high. Monster seats will force you to make a dent in your 401k, or take out a second mortgage!

Many tickets along the baselines, and not up close, will cost you over $500 per, to watch the game. How can you justify going, when the best view is at home with a 55" or better HD tv? I have a neighbor that is a tv nut...he has an eleven foot wide tv. It's a projection system, but the pic is crystal clear, and his sound system rattles the floor. It's over the top, but just stunning to watch.

• Options

I wouldnt pay those prices to go to Fenway. I went a bunch as a youngster. seats are so uncomfortable there, I would honestly prefer watching from home.

• Options

I have not been to Fenway in 30 years and am much more comfortable in front of my ancient 55 inch screen watching the Sox do whatever they are going to do. I make no predictions as to how they will do but hope for the best. The refrigerator is also well stocked with whatever I want at Walmart prices too.

• Options

Even when I was slim and trim those seats were uncomfortable. I would need BIG shoehorn to fit in them now!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Even when I was slim and trim those seats were uncomfortable. I would need BIG shoehorn to fit in them now!

you and me both!! I have no doubt I could squeeze in, but they may need a tow truck to get me out.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

you and me both!! I have no doubt I could squeeze in, but they may need a tow truck to get me out.

And the people on both sides of me would not appreciate it either.