Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another neat new variety - Mexico 1809 TH/HJ over-assayer *update*

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 15, 2021 7:07PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Bought these two from different sources today. Usually not the look or grade I would go for, but both appear to be a new variety undocumented in Yonaka or Calbeto. The example of this reverse die shows the vertical legs of the undertype "H" clearly, pointing to a TH/HJ over-assayer variety. Fired off a note to Brad and will share his thoughts. If we agree, i'll send the MS61 coin back to our hosts to create a new PCGS# and get it properly attributed, upsetting existing variety collectors by introducing yet another new registry slot ;)

What makes this one odd is that it was commonly understood that the assayer progression was TH (Tomas Butron y Miranda & Enrique Buenaventura Azorin) and then HJ (Enrique Buenaventura Azorin & Joaquin Davila Madrid) as can be seen by numerous dates (1809-1811) with HJ/TH over-assayer reverse die(s) used. There haven't been a single HJ/TH documented prior to these two examples. I guess it is possible that in a transition year 1809 when the TH -> HJ switch happened, something required the creation of another TH reverse die while all new dies were already created with the new HJ assayer initials.

Neat.

PCGS MS61:

Second example:

Comments