Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 5:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Have you seen any like this?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double strike is relatively common. I toyed with an idea of doing an entire date run in lower grades, but don't need more distractions. The doubling on the example above is a bit more drastic than what you usually see.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Double strike is relatively common. I toyed with an idea of doing an entire date run in lower grades, but don't need more distractions. The doubling on the example above is a bit more drastic than what you usually see.

Do they bring a premium?

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 5:51PM

I don't have an example from Mexico City but here's one from Potosí

• Options

Just to add: the person feeding blanks and removing the struck coin only had a couple of seconds before the top hammer die came down again. Often that wasn't enough to remove the struck coin. The hammer die was held in place with a metal pin and due to that had a very slight wobble. The reason why you rarely see doubling on the reverse was due to most of the time the struck coin remaining flat on the anvil die.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missing the point here.......

The coin is not strike doubling of the profile but actually a double struck coin. Look at the “clipping” of the letters and doubled dentils.

Does the reverse show doubling?

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@BustDMs said:

The coin is not strike doubling of the profile but actually a double struck coin. Look at the “clipping” of the letters and doubled dentils.

No not the reverse. I am new to 8 Reales first I have seen hence my question. Thought maybe they where rare.

• Options

@BustDMs said:

I dont think anyone is missing the point, unless its me. As I mentioned, the planchet was struck twice resulting in the abovementioned effect. Its not strike doubling, when during a single strike the die moves to create a doubling effect. There should not be doubling on the reverse in most cases because the previously struck coin never leaves the anvil die. In fact, you often see very crisp reverse details due to the added strike.

@jgenn I guess the term scarce is relative. I encounter double struck Mexico 8Rs at least once every 3-4 months without specifically looking for them. A lot are lower grades, chopped, cleaned or otherwise damaged, but I see them pretty consistently.

• Options

I will skip on buying this one then.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I guess I missed the point....

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@BustDMs said:
    Sorry, I guess I missed the point....

Sorry, could be my language barrier, as well.

Here's a nice example of a double struck wide date 1805 coming up at Heritage:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/mexico/mexico-charles-iv-8-reales-1805-mo-th-au58-pcgs-/a/232103-63532.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus