Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 4:54PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited April 22, 2022 4:54PM

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot answer it for you but your best bet is probably to search old catalogs and get access to reference books.

If you have a particular coin in mind, you could also try asking someone like Dan Sedwick or Aureo & Calico. I have bought from both on occasion and Calico has answered some of my inquiries of this type, based upon their prior sales records.

All of these coins are rare to my knowledge as a date, but some are proportionately more common than others. Bolivia as a mint is by far the most common, across all denominations though I have seen the 4R the least often by far.

I have seen fewer Peru than Mexico, but don't actually know whether this is representative. I am not aware of any from Colombia or Guatemala. Colombia cobs aren't common either and Guatemala didn't strike any cobs that look like most others.

• Options

• Options

Aside from Heritage, I have seen these from Sedwick and Calico the most but cannot remember specific dates. Calico had a really nicely toned one (late 1710's) that I would grade XF or AU but holed as usual. Sold for somewhere around $1000 or maybe 1000 Euros.

• Options

• Options

No, unfortunately not. Unlike most collectors, I prefer the minors over the 8R due to the scarcity difference. Maybe Brad Yonaka can make royals his next book. I'd be a buyer in a minute.

By the way, forgot to mention that your coin is a nice wholesome example. Most US collectors will not buy a holed coin but it's the norm for this coinage and acceptable to me, though I'd never buy one for any of the series I collect.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatica Espanola im sure has at least a listing for the coin and a value which you can compare relative to the other dates and mints. Not super helpful but a start

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

Based on some research and Heritage Auctions database I have not seen many anywhere. One sale here and there maybe once per 5-10 years.

As a series, the "Royal" or "galano" or presentation (whatever you want to call them) Mexico 1/2R of this 1714-1733 period are not particularly rare. As WCC noted, they definitely do surface:

https://www.icollector.com/search.aspx?is=0&p=1&ps=100&q=mexico cob 1/2 real royal&ex=0&so=13&sf=1&hi=0

The challenge is to find pieces that haven't been holed (and/or have other mounting damage)...

OR, even moreso, to find a Mexico royal 1/2R from BEFORE 1714... like so:
    https://www.icollector.com/Mexico-City-Mexico-cob-1-2-real-Royal-Philip-V-assayer-J-date-not-visible-1705-14-very-r_i33012021

... OR, certainly, to acquire Mexico royals of other denominations.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2022 4:55PM

• Options

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Yes but I am not interested in buying coins that are not graded to much risk involved for a newbie like myself and I live in Canada so a pain and costly to have them graded. They do come up for sale but not that often. Especially if you are looking for one graded already by NGC or PCGS.

If you are only going to settle for graded coins, you will find there is little to buy. Most of the (better) coins are not graded and as long as owned by non-US collectors, likely will not be. An example is the 1725D pictured in catalogs. I have no idea who owns it but it's not in the population data.

Most of the coins I have I bought graded (better ones anyway), but not all. (I have a batch of about 13 pillar minors to send in which I grade from VG to MS; a few have problems.)

I have a better sense now of which ones are likely to have problems from the auction description (in Spanish auctions) and their assigned grades. As an example, if you see a coin where the wear does not match the catalog grade, it's probably at least cleaned where this will impact the grade but unlikely one of these firms will sell a counterfeit.

Also, if you are in doubt, ask for a better description and pictures. I have done that numerous times.

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

I would be a buyer of such a book as well.

Thanks I buy what I can afford I would like to complete the series from the first Royal coin up to 1821 minus the unique coins. I have to buy what I can afford I don't have a huge budget and I also collect 8 Reales (I will never come close to completing this series just after very scarce or rarer coins dated 1825 -1897 and will focus mostly on 1732 up till 1824) and 1 Peso.

It's your collection but I suspect you are going to find yourself in a similar situation to mine in the past. Back when I started spending more on coins around 2005, I attempted to collect a wider variety in a quality that was outside my budget. I had one primary series but didn't make much progress on most of it and I passed on some coins I wished I had bought.

What you described is a rather ambitious project on a modest budget. The 1732 and 1733 1/2R alone even in low quality aren't cheap. You didn't say what you are willing to spend but you might find yourself in a position where you have a disproportionate percentage which aren't very marketable. if you do not mind, that is fine but I found it made a difference once the value of my collection became "noticeable" by my standards.

That's why I collect what I do now and virtually nothing else; Peru and Bolivia pillar minors. Most collectors wouldn't like limiting their collection to such a narrow area but this all I can financially allocate to it. Even what I describe is going to be a low six figure collection (at minimum) if I can ever find the coins and have the money to do it.

I buy what comes available but it isn't like US coinage where you can find decent mid-circulated grades for most in the date range you mentioned. I presume the coins are out there somewhere but there aren't many. Mexico is more common than Peru or Bolivia but hardly common for most dates.

• Options

• Options

• Options