Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 5:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 5:29PM

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong forum.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 5:12AM

1991 half-ounce gold eagle. Bought it at the time for $189 when the price of gold was down, put it in a Capital holder for protection and threw it in my safe deposit box. What did I know back then about the various finer points of grading numbers up to 70? Absolutely nothing - maybe MS-67, 68, 69 didn't even exist at the time, I can't remember. Recently took the coin out after all these years, looked it over under magnification, and thought "what a beauty!" I submitted it for grading, it came back MS-69. Recent 2020 auction results on Stack's and Bowers of the same coin / same grade varied from $2,600 to $3,100.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 2:43PM

I have very few regrets over what I have sold, but more regrets over the pieces I didn’t buy. I have tended to hold a lot of material, especially in recent years. I sold some coins I liked when I was a dealer, but that was business. There was no way that I could have kept them, and had no business keeping them in any case.

What do I regret not buying? An 1801 Thomas Jefferson inaugural medal, a California $50 gold slug and a 1920 Cox and Roosevelt juget at political button that was offered for less than half of the recent auction results.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

When my son was entering his senior year at college 6 years ago I needed cash fast before Aug 15 to make payment before he started the fall semester. Went to a local B&M with my whole collection of Morgans, worth ~ $25K. He bot all 7 of my GSA CCs (78 - 85 except 79), all my other slabbed CC's, all the PL & DPLs, almost every PCGS MS I had. Raised almost $10K which is what I was short in the bank. Looking back, wish I took a home equity loan. My PCGS vs NGC/ANACs collection was about 50/50 at the time. Now its 95% NGC and ANACS. At least the ANACs are all the old white slabs.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t regret selling any of the coins I’ve sold. However, I wish I had some of them today as there were some great coins I had.

It made sense at the time I sold them but I didn’t anticipate having a desire to collect again in the same way I did 15-20 years ago. Thankfully I’m smarter now about how I collect.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only coins I have sold - some years ago - were two sets of gold Britannia's... I do not regret the sales, but do miss their beauty from time to time. Since they sold for 5X purchase price, it soothed the pain. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold this MS66BN CAC coin over 2 years ago for a tidy profit. The toning and luster on it is mesmerizing. I really wish I had kept it. I have been looking for a similar 66BN 2 cent piece ever since then with no luck. Whoever bought this coin got a great one. The picture doesn't do this coin justice.

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

I sold this set for a profit but always wished I had keep it.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew..."

Oh man, where do I start?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I sold my classic commemorative type set years ago, I wish I had hung onto the Hawaiian.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 7:36PM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sold some great coins but it has usually been to funds coins I wanted even more. I could have dipped deeper into my bank account but in the end you can’t own everything.

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regret, Humbert $50 LE 880, PCGS XF40

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

No regrets. We are only care takers of the coins for a time. Selling for others to enjoy.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 10:32AM

I really don't have any regrets about selling any I have sold, its a very small number anyway, my only real regret is not buying more gold when it was $500 an ounce. The buy I regret is this NGC1897 barber dime, paid way too much for it and took a real bath when I sold.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 1:20PM

No regrets.....Onward and Upward! 🚀

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

1888-S Morgan in 63 OGH. Sold it for a fair price but have always regretted it. I wish I'd have kept it, as it was choice and sentimental to me. The good news is that there are many nice examples available, in grades 63-65, so it is my intention to replace it someday very soon.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only sales regrets have been not selling coins sooner!

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

12 coins gold type set put together when gold was around $500, sold it when gold was around $1000. Now I want to do it again but with gold at $1900 it’s cost prohibitive.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintage 36. My one and only regret. Bought it from a former forum member and returned it because it had a tiny spot on the obverse.

liefgold
  • Options
    Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I have no regrets about what I sold. I do have some regrets about some things I bought, though.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regret

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was younger if the coin didn't fit in my current collection I was in the take any profit mode. I once owned a187- bust half counterfeit that was later used on cover of a Sheridan Downey Auction catalogue. I was convinced to sell it by a friend for $60 (about 1975). I only paid like $15 for it and back then and I needed all the cash I could get. I do not know what it sold for. I also sold a f-vf strong reverse 1802 half cent for a big profit to a friend. i started collecting half cents at a later date and have yet to find a good replacement at 4 times what I sold it for. I also had an1864 small motto two cent coin that i wish I still had and a New Brunswick 1861 half cent unc. A Proof 1921 peace dollar that a (former) friend stole from me.
    I sold my near complete Morgan dollar set for $6,000 in 1978 when I needed money for a down payment on a house. I don't regret this as much as the other stuff.
    My biggest regret as to not purchasing a coin: I had a chance to get a nice g-vg 1793 Liberty Cap cent at an auction for about $3500. and I stopped bidding at $3200. Well this coin is still on my want list but is now out of my purchasing range.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file