Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hobo "Nickels" (actually coin art) . . . . . let's see yours!

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my exonumia quest, I have also run across a few "hobo nickels" that have caught my eye. Wish I could afford some of the early ones, but there are a very few contemporary artist creating some very interesting AND unique carvings worthy of notice.

I'm not talking about the stamped imported stuff, but real, hand crafted / hand carved coins. I think there are a few artists out there worthy of notice and worthy of mention.

I have two more coming in, but here is my current collection. These are by an artist named Steve Phelps who goes by "SteveOrino" on the bay and elsewhere. I have been watching his work and know that each coin is hand carved and different. I think he may be laser engraving his signature and some other features, but none of the "similar" designs are exactly the same.

Let's see yours . . . . . . . !

Z

"Uncle Bartholomew"

"Uncle Melvin"

"Santa Baby #10"

"Skinny Enrique"

"Uncle Hellboy"

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have long admired the old Hobo Nickels... Never acquired one. I may just get a modern for my display coins. There is some nice work being done. Cheers, RickO

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't say it had to be a Buffalo nickel ;)

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I losing my mind or do we already have a HN thread this week with the same pics? :#

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file