Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German Empire and Prussian Coins

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2021 9:31PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I find the history of Prussia and the German Empire fascinating. I picked up this one because I liked how it looked.

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one @Zoins

• Options

@gscoins You're so very right! The colors look very similar and the grades are too! What are the chances if they didn't tone together?

It's really interesting to think about the fortunes of the German Empire in 1914 and what it was like just a few short years later.

• Options

Very nice @Rexford! It's great to see these colorful pieces!

1914 was a historic year for the German Empire. Nice to see the Coat of Arms on all these coins.

The formation of the German Empire from four Kingdoms and many other smaller groups is fascinating.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    I find the history of Prussia and the German Empire fascinating. I picked up this one because I liked how it looked.

The Three Mark version of this coin really got me into world coins. It was an MS64 ANACS that was darkly toned. I wonder where it is now?

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have a decent collection of Prussian silver and gold, but sold it when kids came along.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

The 1913 3 mark you posted is essentially a Mexican coin lol

With that said the kaiserreich did have some nice silver and gold coinage.

• Options

@YoloBagels said:

What is the relationship to Mexico for these coins?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@YoloBagels said:

They share similar imagery

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    edited March 2, 2021 6:12PM

@neildrobertson said:

@Zoins said:

@YoloBagels said:

They share similar imagery

If you mean any eagle with a snake, it could be said both are Flemish since that general composition is from Flemish artist Pieter Boel in the 1600s.

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@YoloBagels said:

It's a joke I constantly make about the coin being very similar in design to Mexican coins. Also cause Mexico and Germany had fairly strong relations before WWII.

• Options
    JLBCoinsJLBCoins Posts: 18 ✭✭

I love collecting these types as well. Some of those 1 mark coins look similar to one I recently got. Seems that these tone really beautifully.

Store: JLBCoins.com

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cocoinut said:
    Here is a dark toned proof of that type, except it's a 2 mark. I like the way the devices are still basically white against darker, iridescent fields. The photos don't do it justice.

Beautiful proof! <3

• Options
    OliverDePlaiseOliverDePlaise Posts: 102 ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2021 9:44AM

German states had some neat designs.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was Austria part of the German / Prussian Empire in the late 1800's? I fear I do not know my European history pre WWI very well.

One of my favorite old large silver coins bears the likeness of Franz Joseph I, who according to Wikiknowsitall, was the Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary, Croation and Bohemia, and was the President of the German Confederation.

However that is not what I am going to show.

Just arriving today, largely influenced by this thread, is my latest world silver addition and presumably from the German / Prussian Empire.

For your enjoyment, my 1871 A Prussia Sieges Thaler . . . . . .

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Austro-Hungarian Empire was contemporary with the German Empire, and they were two distinct states. Even though some of the German states that ended up joining the German Empire had been historically aligned to the Holy Roman Empire, which was headed up by the Habsburgs.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    The Austro-Hungarian Empire was contemporary with the German Empire, and they were two distinct states. Even though some of the German states that ended up joining the German Empire had been historically aligned to the Holy Roman Empire, which was headed up by the Habsburgs.

Well then, these are two of my favorite Austro-Hungarian coins, both bearing the portrait of Frantz Joseph I . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

An early Prussian ...

• Options

@JLBCoins said:
    I love collecting these types as well. Some of those 1 mark coins look similar to one I recently got. Seems that these tone really beautifully.

Wow! That's some gorgeous color!

Thanks for sharing it @JLBCoins!

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, stunning colors on these great coins!

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

This just back from NGC- 1496 Frankfurt goldgulden... AU58!

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6680046-001/58/

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

And this one, a 1702 Brunswick-Luneberg-Calenberg-Hannover "Wildman" 24-mariengroschen, was just imaged at NGC but there's no news on the grade just yet. It's in quality control, so I should know soon!

• Options

Finally, here are two I bought at 2023 FUN which have not yet been submitted (missed the deadline to do that at the show).

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Oak.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.