Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 5:59PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not believe that I had any specific goals for 2020, but for 2021, I am looking at three things:
    Ottoman Egypt at the turn of the 20th Century;
    Morocco at the turn of the 20th Century;
    1/4 reales certified by PCGS or NGC.

Of course, I have ongoing projects. Always looking for a nice horse.
    Also, there are certain folles of Maurice Tiberius that remain elusive.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 8:00AM

@SmEagle1795 that is an amazing coin. I wish I could downsize, but is not in my genes :D

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goal for 2021 is to sell 90% of my accumulation of coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 8:57AM

If my current PCGS sub grades by Dec. 31st, then I have a good chance at hitting my main goal. I want to finish my Germany 5 Mark set. Apart from that I managed to stay in my lane and only add coins that align with my overall collection.

In 2020, I reduced the size of my collection by 1/3 in terms of quantity while increasing the value of my collection 5-10%.

The 2021 plan will be to sell another batch of coins while continuing on some long-standing goals (e.g. Germany after 1871 type and proof type, Empire coins 20pf and up). I'll need to pick another set to focus on more once my 5 Marks are a little more settled.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    tbishoprictbishopric Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I will continue refining my collection in 2021 by selling some pieces. And I have a few sets I'm working on and hope to add to them in 2021:

• Suez Canal tokens
    • Hudson Bay Company tokens
    • CCC tokens
    • British Mandate of Palestine date set (two pieces left to acquire)
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 10:13AM

My 2020 goals were to 1) sell off some of my collection and 2) purchase fewer but more significant coins.

I actually did accomplish these goals. Sold off a lot of US coins and some world through a variety of mechanisms: BST, HA, consignment, ebay (some coming up!). Of these, the BST was less painful then I thought and actually enjoyable for some transactions. Overall, shed about 50 coins this year. Don't think I made any money but did well on a few coins and probably actually was close to even overall! Phew!

My 2021 is more of the same - try to get down to a "box of XX". XX is greater than 20 but probably no more than 50.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    My goal for ever year is to add one meaningful coin to my collection. This year I added twenty, including a significantly upgraded centerpiece. Next year I want to focus on doing some collection refining/downsizing and again will be happy adding one coin!

fantastic coin !
    you got to buy them when available when like that

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2020 2:17PM

@ajaan said:

Why are you gonna do that ?

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@ajaan said:

Why are you gonna to that ?

A bunch of stuff I don't want or need.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@SmEagle1795 said:
    My goal for ever year is to add one meaningful coin to my collection. This year I added twenty, including a significantly upgraded centerpiece. Next year I want to focus on doing some collection refining/downsizing and again will be happy adding one coin!

I have to ask I know nothing of ancient coins what does a coin like this go for?

• Options

A shoutout to NCSUWOLF74 ......former owner of the HOPE COLLECTION ......... the #1 NGC Guanajuato 8 Reales registry.......who gave me first shot at this remarkable collection......which really boosted my collection !

Thank you BRAD!

Next year I will hope to add many more cap & rays to my collection .

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

My goal was to take it easy on my wallet after a very brisk 2019 buying several of the Canadian specimens flying around from the Cornerstone and Cook collections. I did not quite achieve my goal, but did spend less this year. Let's see what 2021 brings.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I did not set coin collecting goals for 2020 though I had a few achievements, including my first successful conservation of a PVC damaged coin from eBay that came back MS63.

My biggest regret was not planning my spending and savings around large auctions, two of which ended up unexpectedly having pieces I wanted, and probably could have afforded if it weren't for other coin spending.

I'm happy with my big acquisitions for of the year but my goal is definitely to have more fiscal discipline and to plan my spending with respect to auctions.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@SmEagle1795 said:

I have to ask I know nothing of ancient coins what does a coin like this go for?

Roman denarii can be had for $30 but this particular type is commonly ranked as the greatest ancient coin so it carries a hefty premium (regularly well into the six figures).

It is an "Ides of March" denarius minted by Brutus to commemorate the date he assassinated Julius Caesar to free the Roman people (depicted as the freedom cap between the daggers).

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Covid 19 was shutting things down, I shut my wallet. I eventually decided I would go on a purchasing hiatus for one year to evaluate my spending habits and just see if I could do it. I watched a lot of items go by and it wasn’t easy but I have responsibilities that are Covid effected so it seemed wiser to chill out on buying stuff. I made it 6 months and a killer medal popped up and ended that. One that I would always have bought on sight of ever offered. I’ve added 3 medals since, so 4 medals this year. I learned a lot. Mostly to enjoy what I have and hold out for something really scarce and amazing. Feels good to be back with my head a little aired out. Same approach for 2021. Read up, study up, save up and then pounce when opportunity arises with no questions self doubt or regrets.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2020 6:32PM

@SmEagle1795 said:

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@SmEagle1795 said:

Roman denarii can be had for $30 but this particular type is commonly ranked as the greatest ancient coin so it carries a hefty premium (regularly well into the six figures).

It is an "Ides of March" denarius minted by Brutus to commemorate the date he assassinated Julius Caesar to free the Roman people (depicted as the freedom cap between the daggers).

Congrats great history and coin!!

• Options
    EagleScout2017EagleScout2017 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 7:32PM

COVID-19 killed my 2020 collecting goals for the most part. Here's hoping that 2021 will prove to be much more fruitful than 2020. Before the whole COVID mess, I was hoping to acquire any one of these coins that coincide with my various numismatic interests.

1934-35 Melbourn Centenary Florin
    1914 Japan One Yen
    1934-39 Cuba "ABC" Peso
    Nerva Denarius
    An attractive Sestertius for less than $200

delenda est WitterU

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collecting goal was to add a few significant pieces to my collection as a part of a broader shift to “fewer, bigger, better” to which I have been very successful (thanks MrE). I wanted to focus my collection on more rare and important pieces and less on higher end type and particularly minors within that model.

I have sold many, not always at prices I loved, but with lessons along that way which were valuable and helped focused me on which outlets to continue to channel my collecting dollars to.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

complete the queens beasts 1 & 10 oz bullion set and look into selling it - roughly $2500 investment and looking like $5000 might not be impossible to get for full set

continue acquiring russian, ukranian, czech silver series

picked up my first modern dutch ducat this year, looking to make that an annual habit

collect all ase issues - really looking forward to those

try to continue acquiring uk great engravers series

keep investigating non-us mints / central banks and picking up interesting issues

• Options

Looks like my goals are somewhat on par with @pruebas

To @Boosibri I am thankful for the coins sold!

And we will all wait for those non-core coins to be on the market!

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much in line in 2020 heading into 2021 - focus on buying more significant coins (did much of that even during COVID), Sell duplicates (did and some will go in January auction block).

• Options

I'll echo what others have said. Purchase fewer but better coins. I will be purging a significant portion of my collection that doesn't fit anymore.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I'm on the same course as I set 12 years ago ... to accumulate an assortment of coins in my type set. I'm up 93 coins so far this year, beating my average of 64 coins/year over the years 2017-2019.

I'm still having fun, and will continue with the same goals for 2021 and hopefully beyond.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collecting goals are to continue to enjoy collecting Victoria Penny's and Canada Silver Dollars.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chrisb8626 said:
    I'll echo what others have said. Purchase fewer but better coins. I will be purging a significant portion of my collection that doesn't fit anymore.

Welcome!

• Options

@jgenn that is a seriously nice set.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 6:24AM

For 2021, I again will try to complete my 3-cent silver circulations strike set. I still need only one coin for this set, an 1863. To sell all the BU rolls and proof sets and other low priced stuff that I have inherited. To purchase some coins for my classic commems 144 piece set. (I need about 100) This will not most likely be completed for a few more years, but my goal is to get at least 10 more in 2021. Complete my Canadian and Newfoundland sets.