DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 6:02PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends upon your purpose. In my case, I look for samples of the type. I am not so much concerned with condition as I am with authenticity. Sort of for study purposes. However, a serious collector of the series is going to want the finest of the type, within that individual's ability to afford it. Authenticity alone just won't cut it, unless the coin is so rare that it is the only one you can afford. My thoughts, anyway.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2022 6:02PM

• Options
    edited April 22, 2022 6:02PM

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 3:40PM

I loathe Details graded coins. Yes, that also includes shipwrecks, although i do appreciate the historic importance of these ships. There are plenty of nice examples available especially in the vf-xf range you mention in your post. In terms of selling - as long as you stick to quality and originality, you will not have a problem selling. A matched set of pre-1800 8Rs in nice original XFs will easily find a buyer.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    It depends upon your purpose. In my case, I look for samples of the type. I am not so much concerned with condition as I am with authenticity. Sort of for study purposes. However, a serious collector of the series is going to want the finest of the type, within that individual's ability to afford it. Authenticity alone just won't cut it, unless the coin is so rare that it is the only one you can afford. My thoughts, anyway.

Or it is the only one available/known!

• Options

Where can I get a detailed list of current values for 8 Reales from Mexico so I am not over paying or is just best to check previous sold in Heritage auctions prices seem high on Ebay.

• Options

Heritage is a good place to check prices. I assume you want to buy already certified examples being new to the series? Probably one of the most counterfeited coins in the 19th century and lots of fakes around on ebay and other sites.

• Options

Even those graded by NGC and PCGS?

• Options

No, thats why I said you probably want to buy them already certified by PCGS or NGC. A fake slips past the graders from time to time, but not enough to worry about.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

These replies are from very knowledgeable members. If you follow their advice, you can’t go wrong. I read everything they post to add to my own knowledge. As I am a beginner as well, I always stick to graded examples. The shipwreck coins or chop marked coins can be collected by someone else. Good luck, they are very addictive to collect!!!!

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    edited November 13, 2020 5:43PM

Thanks guys that is the whole point to learn from you guys. I only own 4 so far been at it for 2 months. All from 1817 on ward so far. I was concerned about the availability of those from 1800 and earlier that is why I was wondering if it is a good idea to buy some that are simply authentic versus numerical graded.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

In general, details coins are poor investment and even if you are not into coins for the money, will always lose value unless are extremely rare such as 1732 8 reales. You can get low grade, nice examples on many of the types. But I dislike details graded coins save for the few exceptions on which no other coin is known, or affordable.

• Options

Thanks will stick with numerical graded coins.

• Options

Thanks I have been busting my head trying to find books related to this series.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some "details" coins in my collection, but every one of them is reasonably attractive and unobtainable any other way. And FWIW, I think I could sell every one of them for a good profit, in a heartbeat.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

When I will get to rarer dates I may have to buy some as well I will see with time.

• Options

@MrEureka the key there is "unobtainable any other way".

• Options
    edited November 13, 2020 9:12PM

Yeah it's gonna have to be really rare for me to buy authentic coins. Or truly out of my budget.

• Options

How about the 8 Reales cob coins from 1700 and earlier are those mostly graded authentic?

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar plenty of numerically graded. But cobs are special. The number/grade is not as relevant as the design elements. Much better a coin with date, denomination, and assayer than one without them even if a lower grade.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020 1:33AM

It depends largely on your budget. There are nice looking, details graded coins out there that are priced commensurate to their lack of a straight grade -- these will probably sell close to your buying price. It's a world-wide market now and some collectors still don't care about TPG grading standards but value eye appeal over all. Don't be suckered into buying an unattractive example just because it got a straight grade. If your budget is large then definitely go for the straight graded, nicely toned, fully struck examples but know that you will be competing with other well-heeled collectors for them.

Here are some examples of nice looking details 8 reales, maybe scarce but not rare, purchased at a good price:

Of course I also have plenty examples of 8 reales that were purchased raw that did not meet their potential (or the auction house expectation).

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I have some "details" coins in my collection, but every one of them is reasonably attractive and unobtainable any other way. And FWIW, I think I could sell every one of them for a good profit, in a heartbeat.

About 15 years ago I bought a whole slew of raw 8 reales various grades some holed ones even . Chopmarked polished etc . I had a shop owner that would save them for me as they came in.

He was probably paying under $10 each and I would pay 15 to 18 each . Silver spot price was low then he was most likely doubling his money on every coin. I sold about 50 to 100 one at a time a few years back , maybe it was 2017 ? Even the holed polished coins were fetching $50 each on Ebay . They would probably do better now I wish I had more. I'd be hard pressed to say whether they would do better because of increased spot prices , I think they are divorced from silver spot now . Permanently ?

Low and behold I turned up about 25 or 30 a few weeks ago . I think I will put them away for another decade . This is a mixture of 1780's + , mid 1800's , and a few of the Mo Am restrikes . I had filled a large pill bottle with them and it was tucked away in a drawer :)

If you are a collector (snob? :p ) you probably don't want them like that but right now if you can get any world crown sized coin for $20 or so in any condition you should buy it is what I think.

seriously back up the truck

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would hazard a guess that mid grade holdered coins are probably not a buy now. Dirt cheap raw or high end . As I like to say about many things in life , pick one side of your fence and get on it