Home U.S. Coin Forum

PDD almost never DDD

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is Philly notorious for doubled dies and rarely Denver? It seems like the majority come from Philly.
Is P really bad or is D really good?

Comments

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll wager a guess - for decades, dies were all made in Philadelphia, then shipped to the branch mints where the mint mark was added locally. I assume there was an additional inspection of the dies when the mintmark was added which provided another chance to catch the doubling before the die was placed into service.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Branch Mints are represented by many doubled dies-the 1918/7 Denver nickel and the S Mint quarter are two notable examples. Check the Washington 25c series-several major Denver d dies and a couple of San Francisco ones, too. I think Sean is correct with his observations, too.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay Sean that sounds plausible, suppose I could have read about that first before asking but this place is a virtual encyclopedia complete with pros.
    Thanks!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    The Branch Mints are represented by many doubled dies-the 1918/7 Denver nickel and the S Mint quarter are two notable examples. Check the Washington 25c series-several major Denver d dies and a couple of San Francisco ones, too. I think Sean is correct with his observations, too.

The Washington’s are my next or second series I started. I put them on the shelf for now because I wasn’t having any luck finding good grades from rolls. Once I revisit I realize it will require buying lots of mint sets. Or at least I think.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check here http://www.varietyvista.com/ to see some of the outstanding Branch Mint doubled dies in the Wash 25c series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file