Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

SOLD - 1828 Large Cent – MS65BN PCGS w/CAC - PCGS pop 11, CAC pop Only 2

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

My price had been reduced on the BS&T to only $4,595, but it did not sell, so I listed it in the current Legends Auction (Lot # 230). SOLD for $4,582 including their 17.5% buyers fee.

The strike is phenomenal.

1. Of all varieties of 1828 "Large Cents", there have been 15 graded MS65BN (11 by PCGS, and 4 by NGC). Out of those 15, only 2 merit the coveted CAC sticker. At this price point, you'd figure almost all were sent to CAC. For those without a CAC, you should ask yourself why it doesn't have one?
  2. There are none in this grade and date on eBay, whether graded by PCGS or NGC, even without a CAC.
  3. There are none in this grade and date on collectorscorner.com, whether graded by PCGS or NGC, even without a CAC.
  4. The PCGS Price Guide is at $6,750, and the CAC CDN Retail value is $9,060.

For those interested in varieties, the PCGS label identifies this coin as N-6 of the Large Narrow Date type. This Newcomb variety is not rare. For all 1828 Large Narrow Date, PCGS has graded 11 as MS65BN, and of those 11, four are the N-6 variety (NONE higher with the BN suffix).

When you look at the True View, for some odd reason it shows a lot of PURPLE, which is not the color at all of this coin. The actual color of the coin in hand is much closer to a "milk chocolate" color. See the large photos also shown below. I believe the actual color of the coin is somewhat slightly darker than the large photos. However, on the reverse, inside the wreath, there is a slight tinge of blue/purple.

Please note that on the obverse at 5 O'clock there is a slight horizontal "dig", crossed by what looks like a grease type dark vertical line. The vertical line is darker on the coin in hand than the True View, but the horizontal "dig" is less pronunced on the coin in hand than the True View. The large obverse photo clearly represents the dark vertical line on the actual coin, but again the horizontal "dig' is more pronounced in the photo than in reality on the coin in hand. There is also the typical die crack on the obverse in the lower right. While not shown on any of the photos, on the HOLDER on the reverse there a small "white scuff/rub" on the holder just above the "NE" in ONE. This is NOT on the coin.

Please also look at Lot # 299 - my 1875-S Twenty Cent piece graded MS65+ by PCGS with a CAC, and Lot # 311, my 1911 Barber Quarter graded PR67CAM by PCGS with a CAC.

Successful BST Transactions: ChrisH821 x 2; D1no; MsMorrisine; pnies20; radioman; Relaxn; RonB; RyGuy; Shrub68X3; sonorandesertrat x 2; UltraHighRelief; Willy.

Please message ANY questions. Thank you.
winesteven

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments