Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shipping coins with USPS Registered

I ship a decent amount of coins through the USPS via registered mail. I have a small town post office that has been absolutely amazing to work with over the years and have had no problems. Now I am building a house in the mountains and forced to use a different PO.

It was a nightmare.

I stopped by and asked if they sold paper tape to send a registered package because of course I left mine back in Montana.
The lady informed me that no they do not but why not just ship it priority.
I said priority only insures up to $5,000 I thought. She wasn’t sure on that but asked how much insurance I needed.
I quietly said 25k, then like the thunderous echos of a category 5 she yells 25k! What are you shipping in here!?
I look over my shoulder to see the 14 masked faces with piercing eyes 👀 waiting behind me.
I mumbled, they are collectibles......
I told her I would go find paper tape and would be back.
Well after searching the entire town I could not locate ANY.
My wife happened to be dropping off a letter the next day and she asked if they knew of anywhere that sold paper tape. The gentleman told her that they provide the paper tape and proceeded to cut her off a decent amount from the roll. He also stated that you only need to cover the seams not the entire package.

The next day I go back with my box taped like I always do and try to send the package.
A new different lady looks at it and said “You didn’t cover the entire package”.
I said that it’s not required and just the seams need to be covered.
She told me I was wrong and refused to send it that way. I asked if I could use their tape to finish covering it then and she had to go check permission with someone in the back.
She comes back and hands me the roll. I had to go get a water bottle from the truck and a new rag to wet the tape. I finished taping the entire package and got back in line.
Once again I was met with a loud “how much insurance!?

Apparently there is no collectors in this area.

Does your post office make you cover the entire package or just the seams?

ANA Member
PCGS Platinum Member

_Successful BST transactions with:
McGrump, Spummybum, Tightbudget, JasonRiffeRareCoins, PerryHall, Blu62vette, Sandman70gt, BobSav, Dscoin, Pnies20, JTHawaii, Meltdown

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, just the seams.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

You were correct in that Registered Mail requires only the seams to be taped and covered. Have you thought of shipping with private insurance? Hugh Wood, Inc sells incredibly reasonable insurance for ANA members while other folks use other insurance providers. By using private insurance you are removing the big target that might appear on your packages.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flackthat said:
    Does your post office make you cover the entire package or just the seams?

Just the seams.

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Seams only

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one were to cover a flat rate priority box with tape how would the clerk know it was flat rate?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I have shipped USPS Registered, It was only required to tape the seams. Good luck with your new post office.... Suggest you bring them coffee and donuts a couple of times.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's time for you to become the teacher!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 1:59PM

Seams only never an issue and I use ship-n-insure for my insurance coverage because they have nice discounts with FedEx, using FedEx 2 day is cheaper than USPS registered and I have not had an issue yet. I have heard good things about Hugh Wood.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    When I have shipped USPS Registered, It was only required to tape the seams. Good luck with your new post office.... Suggest you bring them coffee and donuts a couple of times.... ;) Cheers, RickO

... add the special "indoor voice" flavoring to the coffee and "discretion" sprinkles on the crullers. :p

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just the seams at my local PO.

BTW, you were far kinder than I would've been with the 25K scream.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Paper tape is a must, but other rules seem to be different here around San jose. One PO will tell you to tape the seams, the next one will say the whole thing. Then they say you can't write the address on the tape, has to be on the box itself, but if they make you tape the whole thing, you have to write the address on the tape.....ugh

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use four different post offices, depending on where I'm headed when I leave the house. Unless it's my main office, I'm always expecting to have some sort of altercation with a clerk. Someone won't understand the 'non-machinable' surcharge or something that I'm doing. Unfortunately, I'm more familiar with the DMM than some of these people. I never get the 'hollering' clerk though....yikes !

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only shipped Registered once and was unsure of what I was doing. The lady at the counter was very helpful and told me to use the paper tape to cover the seams only.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 5:47AM

purpose of taping the seams on a registered package is to facilitate exposing the package has been opened and re-sealed (tampered with) during shipment. this is the reason for the postmarks being applied by the clerk at the edges of the paper tape and why it has to be paper tape.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

If she asks what's in the package, just say "very expensive computer microchips." That would shut her up and she wouldn't know what you are talking about.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file