Home U.S. Coin Forum

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 6:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 6:26PM

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

In most cases I prefer raw ancient coins to certified ones. The pieces I have been buying are usually not worth enough to rate the grading and shipping expenses.

I prefer raw medals because the slabs for medals are so large that they take up massive amounts of safe deposit box space.

In general, the only items I prefer in slabs are U.S. coins, with a few exceptions.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get both. I’ve got a number of albums, a lot of ancients in a jar (dug bronze Byzantine mainly), and some rolls. I’ve got probably 10x raw vs slabbed in quantity but not in value... I just got an 1804 half cent that I’ll be cracking out for the album soon.

edited April 22, 2022 6:27PM

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer raw modern post 1965 coins, but pre 1965 stuff I prefer to be slabbed.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer slabbed, but don’t mind raw (if I can examine the coin in person).
    Here is a chunk of my raw stuff.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 5:54PM

Purchased raw (and still raw) from Tom Reynolds: N-4, net MS64 choice, CC #2

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, because I know how to look at a coin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say i prefer graded coins but I see it as a necessity for US coins of value. Would dearly love to free them but preservation and $$ dictates. Medals all raw, display them in a cabinet, a throwback. $$ not as critical an issue as very few of what I collect are graded (yet).

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both raw and slabbed, although nothing beats the feel of holding a raw coin in one's hand.

Here's a woody...

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have many raw coins. Here is one of them-a 1914 die clash named the "Lone Ranger" clash by Bill Fivaz.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not that particular.

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

For quite some time I’ve been appreciating raw coins again. Nothing like making a pile with bust halves, quarters , seated quarters. :)

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another Lone Ranger clash, this one is a little clearer than the 1914. I have a set in a Dansco with an example for each year.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Mercury dime collection both in holders and raw!
    Collect coins not holders!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like raw coins and I like slabbed coins.... I love the feel of big gold, raw, in my hand....and Morgan dollars as well. Special coins or those frequently counterfeited, are preferred in slabs. Cheers, RickO

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer buying them raw and having them graded, though I do have a LOT of raw stuff floating around too.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

E & T Kointainers make wonderful holders for raw coins. The ANA Museum used to use them to display coins, and may still do so, and I have heard that the Smithsonian did so too.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t purchased a raw coin (outside of some 90% silver rolls) in over 15 years.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you collect vintage counterfeits and/or certain exonumia, there isn't much choice.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    If you collect vintage counterfeits and/or certain exonumia, there isn't much choice.

Please elaborate. Dcarr in the house. Big fan.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

@metalmeister said:

@dcarr said:

Please elaborate. Dcarr in the house. Big fan.

For example, this 1893-O Morgan Dollar, VAM-6:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1044438/

Also, most dcarr items of course ;)

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 10:18PM

I enjoy raw coins far more than slabs, but slabs have practical advantages that I can’t ignore.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like my album coins, enjoy also my 2 X 2 books and my slabbed material too!

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like raw coins and have quite a few. I also have a display case where I put some lower value older ones that I can pick up and handle without worrying about hitting their value.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I purchase a coin in a slab I usually leave it in the slab, but the vast majority of my coins are raw.
    I used to crack everything out years ago but I have matured.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

The value is not a factor for me since the coins I own I will 99% never sell I rather enjoy them. I may get it coin albums as mentioned above by Rollerman.

I can't afford coins above $5000 anyways so I am fine with them being raw.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to shoot pictures in the raw, I mean of raw coins, Sometimes cooked coins remain raw.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 8:45PM

I collected raw coins, all the time, back in the late 80s and early 90s. I only collect slabbed coins, now, and sold all of my raw coins and re-infused the proceeds back into my certified collection. From an investment and protection from damage standpoint, certified coins are by far better. I still have a few, sentimental, raw pieces but they aren't worth that much.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

edited September 23, 2020 8:59PM

@SanctionII said:
    Here are some.

Nice.
    You have two 1956, so I assume one is Type-1 and the other Type-2 ?
    Also two 1961. Is one the doubled die ?
    And two 1964, so I assume one is the "Accented Hair" ?

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each has its advantages and disadvantages and I enjoy both. Recent buy form the BST here for my 7070 album.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Raw for me, I am on a 20 year plan to complete 4 or 5 albums, I think I am on year 11 or 10 or 12 of the plan? Don't know cuz I don't know when I started...hehe

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

DCARR.

Yes on all counts. All coins except the 1956 Type 1 have two sided frost. It has reverse frost and a brilliant obverse.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either or Im happy with it

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2020 12:40AM

Here are some:

1958-D Lincoln Cent Lamination Error "Open Book"

1886 Springfield 250th Anniversary So-Called Dollar - HK-608

• Cul8rCul8r Posts: 164 ✭✭

I like them both but i have 20 times more raw than slabbed,but that's just a money issue, don't have the coin to shell out for the slabbed ones I'd love to have. Pardon the pun .

• SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

I have more raw coins than slabbed coins. A lot of my raw coin inventory came from buying trinkets from the mint. I found this coin while I was hunting $5 Buffalo nickels. I wanted to see how many holes I could fill for $5 or less. I paid $30 for this nickel.

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both, but I’m in love with Library of Coin and Dansco albums so I have a lot of raw in those.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on what I am purchasing. I have no preference, I like and purchase both raw and slabbed.

Here is the 90% "junk silver" tubes I am currently filling. However, at the current prices, I have not bought any for awhile. Obviously, these would be raw.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raw for me, usually $100 or less coins, but anything above that, I prefer certified...

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2020 11:36AM

They are fun. It all adds up.

I have a binder of collector (raw) coins for shows in cowans pages: Good- Gem BU.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be a fun coin raw, but in this grade there’s no way I’d crack it:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file