Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Encapsulation Process

I searched the forum quite a bit but could not find the answer I was looking for. I sent in 4 coins for a crossover. These coins moved steadily through the system, until they got to encapsulation. They have now been sitting there for two weeks, with no progress. Is this a normal amount of time for the encasulation process? I did reach out to PCGS late last week, and all they would say is that they are moving through the system.

Comments

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

What service class? I just had Express take something like 8 days and it's still not done.

I'm sure things are wild there right now. Not to make excuses for them or anything, but, we are moving at a different pace with our businesses. Some things are more important than others, and as much as that sucks, I try to be a little forgiving with this kinda thing because my customers are super great to me when I need a breather.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    What service class? I just had Express take something like 8 days and it's still not done.

Interesting you should ask. This is my first ever PCGS submission. I joined under the gold level, so I got the 4 free vouchers. This is a world crossover. So when I filled out the online submission form, alot of the fields auto-filled for me automatially because of the vouchers I would be using. I know World Regular usually has an estimate of 25 days. But the paperwork I have from PCGS says it is estimated at 15 days.

Service Group: Gold Shield Crossover
    Service Type: World Gold Shield
    Service Level: Regular, 15 days Est. Turnarounds (Bus Days) $2500 max value per coin

I'm definitely not complaining, just genuinely curious. They were received 8/28, and were through grading and to encapsulation by 9/10. And there they sit.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

There do seem to be logjams at different times. I've had submissions this year stick in encapsulation for a week or so and then suddenly everything is done. I've had others that went through encapsulation and got stuck in QA for over a week. It probably depends a lot on what the other orders around you are and people's availability. I'm sure encapsulation is the slowest part of the process (only so many at a time) so if someone called in sick or there's some unusual holders that need to be done for some reason that will back everything up a bit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file