Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

thoughts on this 1889 S misplaced digit

Hi all-
Is this a misplace 8 in the denticles? Didn't see it listed on the misplaced digit census...thoughts?

Thanks for taking a look! RJ

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting mark... I do not think it is a 'digit'... does not match the curve of the 8 or 9....Not sure what it is....Perhaps @FredWeinberg or @CaptHenway will give some input. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

too speculative from those images. (not as bad as i originally thought. opened the last image in a new tab) as the OP pointed out it isn't listed as a feature on its own. it may be a feature on a known vam. @ricko stated, it doesn't have the curve like the top or side of a digit. don't recall any from any series that have denticle digits that don't have the signature curve in one way or another.

perhaps an interesting strike through at k6.

links to bigger images. 1 - 2 - 3

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

From those pictures it looks like contact damage from another coin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing in the denticles, and there are none listed for 1889-S in the VAM catalog. I assume the arrow is not pointing to the large, curved hit on the coin on the rim.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing I think you are referring to seems to be incuse, so does not seem possible.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee, here we are again.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the mostly insightful feedback...makes sense that it is not as marked by seller of the coin....do not think it is random contact mark as too well defined , but maybe thin strike through.

Best regards,
    RJ

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage hit on the rim.
    It's not uncommon to see on Morgan dollars.
    Sometimes you can find a partial star on the rim. ;)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    From those pictures it looks like contact damage from another coin.

+1

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more like a c-clip or like item caused the mark, at least something as hard. It pretty much fits the thickness of the scar all the way around. The only thing different might be the mark on the denticle to the upper right of the anomaly pointed to by the arrow.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Looks more like a c-clip or like item caused the mark, at least something as hard. It pretty much fits the thickness of the scar all the way around. The only thing different might be the mark on the denticle to the upper right of the anomaly pointed to by the arrow.
    Jim

That would be the smallest c clip ever. It appears to match the shape of the O's on the reverse, I vote contact damage from another coin.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file