Home Sports Talk

Mike Zimmer has a lot to work with in 2021!

JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 20, 2021 10:33AM in Sports Talk

Last year I saw the loss of several defensive starters, and predicted the Vikings defense getting worse, even before the year long injuries to two of their top players.

I was wrong, the Vikings got abysmal, worst defense I have ever seen them put on the field.

This year looks a LOT better!

All-Pro Danielle Hunter returns after missing the entire year with an injury.

All-Pro Anthony Barr returns after missing most of the year with an injury.

Michael Pierce begins his time with the Vikings after opting out and missing the entire year because of covid.

Dalvin Tomlinson, a proven starter, has been signed.

Patrick Peterson, also a proven starter, and former multiple All Pro, has been signed.

Mackensie Alexander who had his best year with the Bengals last year, returns as a proven starter.

Sheldon Richardson returns as a proven player or super back up.

Nick Vigil signed on as a veteran linebacker and special teams stud.

Xavier Woods, another solid starter, signed to play alongside SUPER safety Harrison Smith.

I predict the Vikings will be a top 5 and possibly top 3 defense this year, barring a bunch of devastating injuries.

Draft picks are fun to speculate on, these guys are all good/great proven players!

Speaking of draft picks, they drafted two highly rated (aren't they all?) offensive linemen who could really stabilize a poor offensive line. If they can pass block, you Cousins haters will be eating a lot of crow. If they fail, you same guys will be "crowing" about how Kirk sucks.

The defense will rock!

GO VIKINGS!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see this game or even any highlights yet. But I heard Rodgers had his way.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw the highlights. It was rough for the Vikings.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was as ugly as it sounded. I was really surprised.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was very worried about this game.

You just can't replace 5 starters that are all very good players. A few were a bit past their prime (Joseph, Griffen and Rhodes) and a couple were due big pay raises (Bengals signed Trae Waynes for three years and $42 million) so the Vikings didn't have much of a choice with them being right up to the cap.

One play that really showed how we miss Xavier Rhodes is when the Packers went wide to their left and the corner was unable to slow the play down. Xavier was so strong the opposition didn't have too much success doing that. Xavier was criticized a lot last year and I think a lot of it was unfair.

Griffen was also a good pass rusher and Danielle Hunter was out today, Rodgers had all day to pass and a QB as good as him will take advantage of that.

The Vikings offense didn't help much in the first half either. Scoring on the first drive and then doing next to nothing. They are going to have to control the ball better if they want to compete for the division.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

They gained nothing by signing Cousins. Should have kept Keenum and spent money on the OL, I would have kept Diggs as well

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

It was brutal. At least I'm working from home and don't have to hear from the Packer fans at work.

@perkdog said:
    They gained nothing by signing Cousins. Should have kept Keenum and spent money on the OL, I would have kept Diggs as well

I liked Keenum as well. They have had to let several good players go since signing Cousins and are still at the maximum on the cap. Guess what, next year guys are going to want raises.

edited September 14, 2020 4:24PM

Mike Zimmer let Cousins throw 5 passes in the first half. 5 passes. In contrast Kyler Murray used the whole playbook against the NFC champions, threw 40 passes on the road and won. You tell me if Zimmer trusts Cousins with the offense?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Mike Zimmer let Cousins throw 5 passes in the first half. 5 passes. In contrast Kyler Murray used the whole playbook against the NFC champions, threw 40 passes on the road and won. You tell me if Zimmer trusts Cousins with the offense?

Vikings defense couldn't stop Green Bay all game. Packers scored 19 points in 2nd quarter and the only time the Vikings did stop them was on a goal line stand and when Vikes offense took over Cousins was promptly sacked for a safety.

Not much changed in the 2nd half. The Packers got 3 touchdowns ahead and scored whenever the Vikings did.

Hope Zimmer can figure it out or it's going to be a long season.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a good way to start the season.

Brutal game this week, worse than last week.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like the Vikings might get a top 10 draft pick

Every year there is one team that is a huge disappointment. Last year the Falcons started 1-7. I have bad feeling about the Vikings after 2 games. Disappointing to say the least.

W.C.Fields

Offense was pretty much worthless.

I was never a fan of a zone blocking athletic type offensive line. They need a couple of studs in there to knock the defense back a bit. Two games, two safeties given up.

Defense looked a little better, but you can't leave them out there for 40 minutes a game.

Cousins REALLY had a bad game.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

this cousins thing is a disaster . They had a guy better than him and they had to dump salary to pay cousins right? Its a double whammy

I was a Keenum fan, but Cousins is better, but Keenum and a couple of good O-Lineman would be MUCH BETTER!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 3:45PM

Keenum , Diggs snd Thielen was a thing

@perkdog said:
    Keenum , Diggs snd Thielen was a thing

Keenum was much more mobile than Cousins is, so the O-Line is not quite as important.

Vikings came close to winning yesterday. Three or four different plays would have given them a good shot or outright won the game. Missed field goal and a sure interception that was dropped were a couple.

Also couldn't help but notice a HUGE cheap head shot on a pick six by my buddy Jadeveon CLOWNey. He sure likes to put hits on smaller vulnerable players. This one almost cost his team the game.

@JoeBanzai said:
    Vikings came close to winning yesterday. Three or four different plays would have given them a good shot or outright won the game. Missed field goal and a sure interception that was dropped were a couple.

Also couldn't help but notice a HUGE cheap head shot on a pick six by my buddy Jadeveon CLOWNey. He sure likes to put hits on smaller vulnerable players. This one almost cost his team the game.

Not a good look. The nfl is trying to cut down on those plays, especially the vicious ones.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Not a good look. The nfl is trying to cut down on those plays, especially the vicious ones.

He was called for illegally blocking the guy. Saw the replay and I must admit, I didn't think it was bad at first. They showed it again and there's no reason_ in today's NFL_ for a hit like that. He sure looked like he was targeting the guys head to me. Add to it the fact he was hitting a guy who weighs about 100 pounds less.

@coinpalice said:
    looks like the Vikings might get a top 10 draft pick

maybe even top 5?

Not looking forward to this weeks beating.

@JoeBanzai said:

Over paid IMO. He makes a few big plays a game but disappears for the rest.

W.C.Fields

Vikings season now can be declared partially salvaged. Beating the Packers, especially in Lambeau, makes me feel a little better!

Dalvin Cook (when healthy) the best RB in the NFL?

@JoeBanzai said:
    Vikings season now can be declared partially salvaged. Beating the Packers, especially in Lambeau, makes me feel a little better!

Yes absolutely. He’s the best all around back.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Yes absolutely. He’s the best all around back.

He seems to almost always make the first guy miss, and makes it look easy. Also has deceptive power.

I hope he can stay healthy!!!!

Updated the post for this year.

edited June 20, 2021 5:48PM

@JoeBanzai said:

I like the positivity. 😂

Edited to add: so what are your thoughts, predictions for the year? I haven't kept up with the off season for my team as much as usual, let alone the Vikings. I'm curious to hear any and all about how their off season went, etc in your opinion.

@thisistheshow said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I like the positivity. 😂

Edited to add: so what are your thoughts, predictions for the year? I haven't kept up with the off season for my team as much as usual, let alone the Vikings. I'm curious to hear any and all about how their off season went, etc in your opinion.

What is your team?

I think the Vikings win NFC Central and make it to the NFC Championship game at least.

With the Packers having problems with their QB, I don't see anyone with as much offense and defense as the Vikings. I have always believed that you can make a big improvement quickly by signing free agents and I certainly think they picked up some very nice players on defense to go along with a very good core. The draft is always a crap shoot, some years only one, or even nobody makes the team.

The Vikings should be very tough to run on with the three Defensive Tackles they have, so opponents should be facing a lot of 3rd and longs. Danielle Hunter IF he is back to 100% should really benefit.

The offense was pretty good last year with Cook, Thielen and Jefferson. Cousins is only as good as his line can provide him with a pocket. IF the two o-line draftees work out well, the Vikings should be as good as anyone. K.C. looks good and you can never count the old man from Tampa out either. Buffalo is another good looking squad.

GO VIKINGS!

@JoeBanzai said:

@thisistheshow said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I like the positivity. 😂

What is your team?

I think the Vikings win NFC Central and make it to the NFC Championship game at least.

With the Packers having problems with their QB, I don't see anyone with as much offense and defense as the Vikings. I have always believed that you can make a big improvement quickly by signing free agents and I certainly think they picked up some very nice players on defense to go along with a very good core. The draft is always a crap shoot, some years only one, or even nobody makes the team.

The Vikings should be very tough to run on with the three Defensive Tackles they have, so opponents should be facing a lot of 3rd and longs. Danielle Hunter IF he is back to 100% should really benefit.

The offense was pretty good last year with Cook, Thielen and Jefferson. Cousins is only as good as his line can provide him with a pocket. IF the two o-line draftees work out well, the Vikings should be as good as anyone. K.C. looks good and you can never count the old man from Tampa out either. Buffalo is another good looking squad.

GO VIKINGS!

My team is the Patriots.

I appreciate the Vikings information. It sounds good. What do you hear/foresee in GB? If Rodgers plays a full season in GB, does that change your thoughts at all?

Depends on what Rodgers does. Unfortunately for Vikings fans they are notorious under achievers. When I look at their roster I think 13 wins. One of the best RB’s and an exciting young receiver. Stellar defense but every year something derails them in mid season. They go on a 1-5 streak and get behind the eight ball. Love to see them take Rodgers and the Pack down this year.

W.C.Fields

@thisistheshow said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@thisistheshow said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I like the positivity. 😂

What is your team?

GO VIKINGS!

My team is the Patriots.

I appreciate the Vikings information. It sounds good. What do you hear/foresee in GB? If Rodgers plays a full season in GB, does that change your thoughts at all?

I was surprised when the Patriots let Brady go. I am a sports dinosaur, so I like to see guys play for the same team for their entire career, even though that seldom happens.

Rodgers is a very strange individual, if he plays for the Packers he might just be the kind of player who doesn't play as well as he could to get what he wants.

Another guy who wanted out of Wisconsin was Gary Sheffield who reportedly threw the ball into the stands on occasion to get the Brewers to want to get rid of him.

Overall, I still think the Vikings are going to have a fantastic defense and their offense is pretty good too.

The hype on the two o-line guys we drafted (I can't believe he was still there!) is the Tackle is great and the Guard (who hasn't signed yet) was a sure fire first rounder until some injury caused him to drop. If both these guys are anywhere near as good as the hype, the Vikings are going tobe there right at the end.

Granted, that's a LOT of if's.

@2dueces said:
    Depends on what Rodgers does. Unfortunately for Vikings fans they are notorious under achievers. When I look at their roster I think 13 wins. One of the best RB’s and an exciting young receiver. Stellar defense but every year something derails them in mid season. They go on a 1-5 streak and get behind the eight ball. Love to see them take Rodgers and the Pack down this year.

No doubt there have been a few times the Vikings completely choked against a weaker opponent.

Losing 6 starters on defense alone last year because of the salary cap then covid then severe injuries to top players was sure to doom them, and it did.

I'll say it again. If Kirk Cousins gets average or above average protection, especially from the interior blockers, he is going to put up huge numbers. He is a pocket passer, biggest weakness is he can't avoid the rush.

Mark my words the Pack is going DOWN!

@JoeBanzai said:

@2dueces said:

No doubt there have been a few times the Vikings completely choked against a weaker opponent.

Losing 6 starters on defense alone last year because of the salary cap then covid then severe injuries to top players was sure to doom them, and it did.

I'll say it again. If Kirk Cousins gets average or above average protection, especially from the interior blockers, he is going to put up huge numbers. He is a pocket passer, biggest weakness is he can't avoid the rush.

If he ever gets the protection we’ll find out if he’s worth his salary. I believe you need a QB that has some ability to scramble and make a play when protection breaks down.

W.C.Fields
    edited June 22, 2021 7:00AM

@2dueces said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@2dueces said:

If he ever gets the protection we’ll find out if he’s worth his salary. I believe you need a QB that has some ability to scramble and make a play when protection breaks down.

Everyone needs that!

Not sure who your team is, or their QB situation, but the Vikings haven't had a good QB since 2009-2010.

They used or traded first round picks on guys like Ponder, Bradford and Bridgewater and got little or nothing to show for it, while at the same time not having these picks to use on other needs.

Is Cousins worth the money? Are any of them?

Have you seen how bad the Vikings offensive line has been at pass blocking the last several years?

Other than Matt Kalil (2012), who was a total bust, the Vikings pretty much ignored the O-line for several years while it deteriorated and then drafted another bust in Pat Elflein (2017). Year after year they try to find guys in the 4th-5th round and 4th-5th rounders rarely even make the team.

They did get L.T. Riley Reiff as a free agent and he was very good, but they let him go because of money and that could be a disaster if the guy they drafted to fill his spot turns out to be another bust!

Keenum, who I liked, was a pretty mobile QB, but he hasn't been able to maintain a starting position since he left.

So, what's the solution? Brady, Brees, Rodgers weren't going to move, first round picks didn't work. Cousins was the best veteran QB available and didn't even cost us a draft pick. Since everyone knew he wasn't good at avoiding the rush, the Vikings should have done a better job protecting their investment.

I'm NOT saying Cousins is as good as Marino, but Dan was a pocket guy too and Miami kept a good line in front of him.

Joe, I am (cautiously) optimistic too. Seems like with all of the additions both offense and defense should be better. I, too would have liked more help on the offensive line. Also a kicker.

edited June 27, 2021 1:28PM

Vegas has them +/- 8.5 wins. I just peeked at their schedule and that’s about dead on. They easily could win 8 games as easily as they could win 10. If they win 3 one score games I could see them going over but I’ll pass on a wager.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:
    Vegas has them +/- 8.5 wins. I just peeked at their schedule and that’s about dead on. They easily could win 8 games as easily as they could win 10. If they win 3 one score games I could see them going over but I’ll pass on a wager.

As a lifelong Vikings fan, I'll offer one piece of advice.

NEVER EVER EVER bet on my team EVER :-(

If the two O-line guys they drafted (we can;t believe they were still available!) are solid players, and nothing out of the ordinary happens, injury to Cousins would be a disaster for this team, coupled with the drama in Green Bay, I'll predict 11 wins and a loss in the NFC Championship game or (OMG) the SB.

@VikingDude said:
    Joe, I am (cautiously) optimistic too. Seems like with all of the additions both offense and defense should be better. I, too would have liked more help on the offensive line. Also a kicker.

The defense should be top 5, maybe even better. We shall see about the offensive line. Hopefully we won't need to pass as much and Dalvin stays healthy.

I have the same philosophy about the Falcons and Bucs.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

At least the Bucs have won it all!

Generally speaking, betting with your heart will get it broken.

edited June 29, 2021 5:03AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@2dueces said:

I can never seem to get on the right side of the Bucs.
    I’ve shared this story before and hate bringing it up. I put some futures in preseason. My normal wager $100 on SB champions. That year the Falcon were 150 to 1. I actually was counting my $15K when the score was 28-3. I will never wager a $.5 on Atlanta ever, ever again.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@2dueces said:

I can never seem to get on the right side of the Bucs.
    I’ve shared this story before and hate bringing it up. I put some futures in preseason. My normal wager $100 on SB champions. That year the Falcon were 150 to 1. I actually was counting my $15K when the score was 28-3. I will never wager a $.5 on Atlanta ever, ever again.

That HAD to hurt.

My Vikings have lost 4 Super Bowls and 6 Conference Championships (several where they were clearly the superior team) but none like that.

They seem to like to lose by missing a last second easy Field Goal.

"Wait until next year!".........the distress call of all Vikings fans.

:-(