Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Golden Ikes?FINALLY, PICS!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2020 12:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sorry to stay on the topic of Ikes. Lol. My dealer friend showed me today what a appeared to be a Goldish tone Ike. Here is the strange part. The Ike was in the brown box and with a NGC graded strap around it. NGC graded. It's not your regular toning. The whole coin was evenly gold toned, obverse and reverse. I'll take a pic later. Anyone see one of these before? It is the 1974s Proofs. He has not one but two. One graded NGC PF 66 and the other NGC PF 68. Even he, a dealer for many years, is dumbfounded. Thanks.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be looking forward to pics.
    74-S falls on both sides of the toning spectrum.
    You will find occasionally stunning bullseye toned coins (usually obverse only) or most often ugly cloudy coins.
    Every once in a while you will find blue ones like you see in 71-S or 72-S (mostly the latter).
    73-S are hit and miss...some ok blue toned ones but the cloudy coins are most common.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for the record, you are talking about a 40% silver Proof rather than a copper nickel Proof, correct?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be due to storage conditions...or might be due to being gassed in the holder after grading. Tread lightly.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    I will be looking forward to pics.
    74-S falls on both sides of the toning spectrum.
    You will find occasionally stunning bullseye toned coins (usually obverse only) or most often ugly cloudy coins.
    Every once in a while you will find blue ones like you see in 71-S or 72-S (mostly the latter).
    73-S are hit and miss...some ok blue toned ones but the cloudy coins are most common.

Believe me, this isn't a "toned gold coin". It looks solid gold. Not the metal, but the color. Both sides evenly!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2020 9:12PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Just for the record, you are talking about a 40% silver Proof rather than a copper nickel Proof, correct?

I believe it's the Pf copper nickel? It's the Ike's that come in the "Brown boxes".

YOU GET THE PICTURE. LOL

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two yellow golden-toned silver MS Ikes. They also have some rainbow on them. I’ve never seen proofs tone that color. They usually go bullseye/cloudy/blue as @mannie gray said.

• Options

@david3142 said:
    I have two yellow golden-toned silver MS Ikes. They also have some rainbow on them. I’ve never seen proofs tone that color. They usually go bullseye/cloudy/blue as @mannie gray said.

Are they like in the picture above? This is what I'm talking about. No rainbow, just all gold. Almost like those gold plated coins. But the ones I'm talking about are NGC graded. With the band around the whole set.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 9:40PM

This is exactly how they look!

But once again, NGC Graded.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Joey,
    I have several halves and quarter dollars that I have found roll searching that are gold plated. I have not seen an Ike that has been plated. Is the Ike plated versus being toned?

• Options

It appears gold plated, but in reality, it's not. Otherwise NGC wouldn't of graded it. Its not toned either. Well at least it doesn't seem to be toned. Not when both sides are equally the same gold through out. It's a mystery. Lol. I have to take some photos of the coins. Have patience everyone. Lol.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

I believe it's the Pf copper nickel? It's the Ike's that come in the "Brown boxes".

Huh?

Brown and blue packaged Ikes are 40% silver.

• Options

The bottom line is that it is a toned Ike.

It is not some sort of unknown pattern solid gold Ike that slipped into a normal brown box. It is a normal Ike that somehow toned a golden color, naturally or otherwise.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 5:09AM

Maybe plated ( IGNORE ) @joeykoins

It's graded.

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    Maybe plated

NGC graded it....

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 5:07AM

@JBK said:

@Jimnight said:
    Maybe plated

NGC graded it....

I don't know why I said that.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

The brown box held the 40% silver Proofs. The copper nickel proofs came in the six-coin sets.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your comment refers to the '74S Ike, but your picture is a '73S Ike...and does not look gold at all...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen proof coins in original holders
    with surface toning that looks like the
    coin is 'gold' - it's toning.

Same on the edges - some toning on the
    reeding of Proof coins gives a 'copper core'
    look - it's toning.

This effect has been seen for many decades

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    okiegirlokiegirl Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

I have found 8 or 10 gold plated coins while searching rolls. Kennedy half, SBA, Presidential Dollars, state quarters and a dime.

• Options

@okiegirl said:
    I have found 8 or 10 gold plated coins while searching rolls. Kennedy half, SBA, Presidential Dollars, state quarters and a dime.

Don't forget that great avatar! ;)

• Options

Thanks guys for all the info and replys. Yes, those are Silver in the Brown boxes. Let me get pics. This will determine just what I'm trying to show you guys. Thanks :)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that brown box Ikes can get some nice toning.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    My understanding is that brown box Ikes can get some nice toning.

As well as really, really awful toning :)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

Here is the coin!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat toning. I kind of like it.

Aren't all hard case Ike's proofs and the soft packs UNC. Why is that one graded as MS?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS for Mint Sealed? Probably not.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2020 1:47PM

I remember years ago a member here had what he referred to as a "Frying Pan commemorative Registry" where each and every modern commemorative within the registry was a solid gold tone. He did admit to causing this himself using a heated frying pan.
    Certainly not stating this is how the Ikes here toned, just saying it is reminiscent of those other coins.

Found the thread:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/385737/take-a-look-see-attached/p1

peacockcoins

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me that looks like pretty common toning, especially now that we can see it has a lot of haze, which is reminiscent of how most of these tone up. Perhaps a bolder shade than you usually see, but not totally unusual. Had it been that golden color from the center throughout, with no haze, I'd be more surprised.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think my screen is having issues... It looks as if somebody went crazy with one of those plastic squeeze bottles of French's yellow mustard. Seems they missed the mark...and the hotdog. At some point, I suspect there will be a government funded study to explore the relationship between mustard and coin collectors/dealers.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't cha remember that artist who encased "art objects" in clear glass vessels filled with yellowish body fluid? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

nice

• Options

To me it's just strange that NGC would grade these like the Government Morgan's in the 70's?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file