Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Basketball Slab and Box Thread

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 27, 2023 9:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

With the 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame / HOF coins, we have orange coins, orange boxes, and orange slabs! This is a thread for orange slabs! Post all the special edition slabs you find here!

I have to wonder if there's going to be a special edition TrueView with an orange background ;)

Here's the first coins slabbed by PCGS! These are from the PCGS Facebook page.

Here's the offer for the box:

PCGS said:
For a limited time, PCGS Collectors Club members and Authorized Dealers will receive a FREE orange PCGS box for qualifying submissions in honor of our exclusive partnership with the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and to celebrate the release of the 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins!

Any submissions for qualifying basketball-related coins that receive a Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame label will be automatically returned in a FREE special orange PCGS box while supplies last.

See the full email archived here:

https://milled.com/pcgs/limited-edition-orange-pcgs-boxes-U61e19XWSxtewFoh

Comments

• Options
    edited July 17, 2020 9:08PM

If you want something that matches the boxes more, these may be more your color!

• Options

Here's the signed Magic Johnson edition.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them better in the slabs than the raw pics I’ve seen. It’s like a card and coin combined (though I don’t think of my other slabs that way).
    People keep posting stuff like this and I’m going to end up with one.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! 👍

Timbuk3
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I like them better in the slabs than the raw pics I’ve seen. It’s like a card and coin combined (though I don’t think of my other slabs that way).

Note that these are the non-colorized versions.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorized slabs? Is this really so? May have to get St. Patrick's Day slabs to fill my green box :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are pretty wild looking — initially I wasn’t a fan — but they’re growing on me for some reason.....

• Options

@derryb said:

@ShaunBC5 said:

Note that these are the non-colorized versions.

Just wait till they start showing up with colorized coins!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still wanna see more of the coin and not the slab. Jmo

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never did like basketball.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

At this point, you can still get 90% of the visual bang if you eliminate the pesky silver disk thing.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2020 9:04PM

I bought the Silver Proof on release day. I have always loved the game of basketball and have missed watching college and the NBA this season... even though my overall interest has diminished a bit over the past few years. I think I have only purchased one other item ever directly from the Mint. Not overjoyed with the design but I understand the intent. I will keep mine in the original packaging for my collection, though I do like the orange PCGS box!

• Options
    edited July 18, 2020 9:44PM

I went to buy one of the Magic Johnson slabs because I thought it was neat, but found they are quite pricey.

The following is up to $410 now! The interesting thing about this one is that it has a different signature than the one above.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-P-Basketball-Hall-of-Fame-PR-70-DCAM-Magic-Johnson-Signed-Memorial-PCGS/254653554187?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file