Home U.S. Coin Forum

[REPORT ADDED] Coin Show ! (July 11 2020 - Greeley, Colorado)

dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 13, 2020 4:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The first coin show of the year 2020 in Colorado is actually going to happen on Saturday, July 11 (tomorrow).
It is a small show, but a lot better than no show. I will have a small table there. I've been told to wear a mask.

Where: Moose Lodge, 3456 11th Avenue, Evans Colorado (just south of Greeley).
Public Hours: 9:00AM to 5:00PM MDT.

More info: https://coinshows-usa.com/Greeley-Coin-Club-Show

Report posted (see father down).

Comments

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy. ⭐️

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!
    Stay safe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great... I look forward to your report. I miss the reports... I miss the shows even more, but that would be the same situation without the virus in this area. Cheers, RickO

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like those Half Dollars.... B)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2020 5:33AM

Nice coins and report!

I can understand about people wanting to head to the mountains, but hopefully it was good for those with the coin bug. Less competition!

The Stone Mountain looks promising!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and pictures Dan....Interesting about the silver bullion.... No gold bullion action?? I like the silver 'Chief'... Glad to see shows starting again ... albeit slowly...Cheers, RickO

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Great report. the Stone does look nice. Good luck with that and let us know if you submit it

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Great report, please keep safe

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice Stone Mountain. Cool report.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report! You got some good deals on those raw coins, especially on the 17-S and 33-S Walkers!

• Klif50Klif50 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    This was a fairly small show with about 20 dealers. The public attendance for this show has always been subdued, and this event was no exception. I attribute that to the almost non-existent advertising for the show, plus this year's additional challenges being the current pandemic, and the current heat-wave that we are having here. People just don't want to go out much with all this going on, and leave their cars parked outside in the mid-day sun with 95+ degree heat. They would rather go up into the mountains for a cooler outing.

But the price was definitely right. My 8-foot table was only $35 for the one-day show.
    Dealers and visitors were asked to wear masks, and the dealers were requested to have hand sanitizer available at their tables.

Since there hadn't been any coin club meetings or shows in the area for a while, I did pretty well selling some of my current minted products to local coin club members that I hadn't seen for a while.

There were a few walk-in dealers looking for nice collector material. I had a small amount of 90% "junk" silver priced at 13.5 times face value, but nobody expressed any interest in it. In fact, I did not see any bullion buyers in the room the whole day. I didn't see anyone from the public come in to sell anything either.

However, if I wanted to, I could easily sell the 90% silver to other dealers in the room at 13.0 to 13.3 times face value.

I wasn't looking to buy anything in particular. But since I had the time, I spent part of it looking through dealers' boxes while sitting at my table.

I looked through a dealer's "premium" 90% silver (priced at 15x to pick), and I bought this $5 face value lot for $75:

Back row: Walking Liberty 50c: 1933-S; 1934-S; 1935-S; 1936-S, Standing Liberty 25c: 1927; 1928.
    Middle row: Walking Liberty 50c: 1934-D; 1936-D; 1942, Standing Liberty 25c: 1928; 1929-S.
    Front row: Winged Liberty 10c: 1939-S; 1939-S; 1940-D; 1941; 1945-D.
    So why would I offer to sell 90% at 13.5x and buy at 15.0x ?
    Because my 90% was the most generic circulated Roosevelt dimes and I don't mind trading up for coins that have at least a little collector value. And I was a little bored at the time.

From another part-time dealer I bought these three bank-wrapped rolls of UNC 2009-D nickels for $13 per roll.

I like 2009 nickels for some reason.

Another dealer had this 5-troy-oz 999 silver "Chief". I always liked these and most that I have seen have been impaired (hair-lined and/or unattractive tarnish). This is the first one I have seen in person that was still sealed in the original package. I traded a couple scarce 1976 "Bush" Colorado bronze medals plus $75 for it.

Another local full-time dealer and shop owner brought all their 2x2 boxes of (mostly lower-end) stuff. I looked through most of it, which took most of the afternoon. I would bring one box at a time over to my table to look through, in between doing other occasional business. I ended up buying some decent cheap coins. I picked out ones that I thought had good prices for the grade ;) Here they are, with the holders they came in (I was given a 7.5% discount off these listed prices):

The reverse on this one is significantly rotated, as shown above.

I have hopes for the Stone Mountain half. On close examination, there are very few abrasions and I think it could grade MS-67.

After I got back from the show I took a closer look at the 1865 two-cent piece and discovered that it is the FS-1302 variety with re-punched date:

Overall, this show was a lot like the local coin club meetings (which we have not been able to have for a while), except there were more coins to look at and no formal meeting proceedings.

I am originally from and currently live in Georgia. I've picked up Stone Mountain halves in England and in Japan and have an accumulation of them but only a few graded by our host. I believe, with the current push to take the big carving off Stone Mountain (along with all the other Confederate memorials and statues) that the halves (which were sold at $1 each with 50 cents going from each sale to fund the creation of the monument) that the halves will be the last testament to the big rock carving.

This is a half that is very affordable and had some great detail and a lot of survivability.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was fixin' to chime in on the RPD 2C by zooming in on the first OBV image...then you had a close-up confirming my initial thoughts. That really is a nice looking Stone Mountain Half!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you had a good show.

One of our daughters attends college in Greeley, and we have been following the news of the massive COVID outbreak at a meat-processing plant in Greeley. Fortunately she will be able to do all of her Fall classes online.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2020 10:36AM

Nice report.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you found some neat collector grade stuff !

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silly question:

What is a coin show?

I thought they were extinct!

Frank

BHNC #203

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    Silly question:

What is a coin show?

Where did you ever get that idea? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Treashunt said:
    Silly question:

What is a coin show?

Where did you ever get that idea? :D

Gee, Ah donno, haven't been to one since January.

I'll miss the ANA this year.

Frank

BHNC #203

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Thank you.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice picks. Like that toning on the Stone Mountain!

----- kj
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, I like the stone mountain and two center

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file