Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You've got mail!!! --- submitted to PCGS, now I've got grades and now REALLY have a grade!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 27, 2020 6:13AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, it now appears that between myself, the CS rep. and "World Coin Researcher" Dylan D. at PCGS that some wires of communication got crossed. I checked my e-mail this morning and had a "Grades Available" message from our host so I checked my account:

Line Items Cert # PCGS # Description Grade Region
1 1 40448973 826647 1892 Medal Eglit-273 Gilt Bronze - World's Columbian Expo, DC SP65DC USA

Whatever the confusion it is now(I presume) under the very watchful eye of PCGSPhoto and I'm anxious to see Phil's work since he always seems up to the challenge. This has been an interesting saga and is a lesson to me to remain hopeful and patient.

Al H.

--- second post.
Line Items Cert # PCGS # Description Grade Region
1 1 40448973 826118 1892 Medal Eglit-273 Gilt Bronze World's Columbian Expo DNC USA

Well, to say I was surprised by this is an understatement, especially looking at the raw images from Stack's and having had the advantage of actually having it in-hand. I had been in contact with PCGS and expected it to same-grade-cross but with an "SP" prefix and losing the DMPL designation: that was explained to me as how PCGS viewed high relief, SP, and that they didn't/wouldn't use anything else aside from the grade. Apparently the graders saw it as a sub "Gem" example, SP 64 at best. The medal is now on its way back to me where it will stay in the NGC capsule as-is.

Al H.

--- original post.
I arrived home from my VA appointment a short while ago to find a package on my front porch. After what seemed like a patience testing eternity, the culmination of a month's long process that started on June 11th has been completed and I now am in possession of the medal pictured below. It was first discussed in a thread dating back over three-and-a-half years ago when I first saw the medal at a Heritage auction. I was an underbidder but never forgot about it, checking at the Heritage "Make Offer to Owner" feature every so often but not pulling the trigger.

Recently, my good forum buddy @Zoins resurrected the Heritage listing, the original thread and even a link to a Stack's auction I had missed where the medal, Eglit 273 struck in Gilt Copper, first came to anyone's attention. I missed it then and have lived to regret it but my saving grace is that Zoins posted the link, I considered it again and dove in!!! :p

I was wondering what the medal would look like in hand and upon opening the package any worries were put to rest. As I had suspected, it more closely resembles the Stack's image: very, very bright Gold which means the Gilding was most expertly done and the medal preserved well by any previous owners, essentially mark free with smooth, flat fields and incredible mirrors to enhance the seemingly flawless and frosted high relief design.

So now I have completed Step 1, I own the medal. To complete Step 2 I plan to submit to PCGS as a "crossover/same grade" and assume it will stay at 65DPL although our hosts may view it as a Proof and add i point. Hey, I can be optimistic, right?? Because it really looks that good. Than on to Step 3 which is imaging by PCGSPhoto.

To anyone who has owned and tried to photgraph DMPL Morgan Dollars, you should understand why the Heritage pictures look like they do. They show the relief and contrast well but can't capture the pop and glow. I'm counting on Phil to get it right so I have something to look at because Step 4 is to hide it in safe storage for the long haul.

Thanks again to Zoins and everyone enjoy. Please post versions of this in White Metal if you have them and any other Egilt listed medals.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is certainly something to celebrate! Enjoy it to the max!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great! I hope steps 2-4 go as planned!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

HA! ...Yahoo.... just KILLED my email acct.
    All sorts of demands. Screw that. No recovery, either.

Fortunately, I only used Yahoo mail for one forum . A local one with the seniors constantly bitching about our HOA.
    Don't need it anyway.

Deleted link.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful specimen!!!!

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding medal!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets...That is a truly beautiful medal Al....Congratulations on a superb acquisition. Good luck with the crossover. Cheers, RickO

• Options

tokenpro, that's a stellar example of the slightly different English version. o:)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go Keets.

Fantastic pick up.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda puzzled as to why NGC only gave it a 65. It's downright gorgeous!

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

The level of detail on this design is amazing and the dpl really brings it out on your example. Fantastic pickup!

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options

Kinda puzzled as to why NGC only gave it a 65. It's downright gorgeous!

there a couple of light scratches visible in the Stack's obverse picture that I need to look at closer to determine exactly what they are, but anything else is inconsequential. so yeah, I tend to agree.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look of gilt cameo coins. Luxury look on a budget relative to gold cameo. And always liked this obverse design in particular. Congrats. ⭐️

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous piece, a real stunner!
    I would be hesitant to put that one away at the bank. Maybe just build a moat around your house and fill it with seamonsters.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats for finally getting that medal @keets!

I've loved that medal ever since I first found the photos on Stack's but I knew you would love it even more!

I'm glad it found its way to you. I feel like it's in the right collection now :):+1:

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    On request, as previously posted (amateur photography with a red body camera warning -- no blucc available on this newp)

Beautiful medal! Congrats on having such a nice specimen.

It would be wonderful to have TrueViews of both this and the one @keets owns now.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@tokenpro said:
    On request, as previously posted (amateur photography with a red body camera warning -- no blucc available on this newp)

It would be wonderful to have TrueViews of both this and the one @keets owns now.

Someone else will have to get the TrueView as this one will go into my show inventory after it gets processed as much of my graded stock does.

It has a story -- at one of the Denver shows last year it sat in a case for most of two days. I only noticed it while packing to leave when someone else asked to see it. I crossed my fingers hoping that he would pass -- he did and I bought it... from the dealer I was splitting the table with. He said five other people previously had taken it out to look at and passed while I was out working the floor. His asking price was more than fair - I just got lucky.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse resembles a type of classic portrait one might see hanging in a museum. A striking piece.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets and @tokenpro
    Congratulations keets on a completed journey, thank you for sharing such a beautiful specimen, which I had not previously seen. Great post that allowed me to see two beautiful medals.
    Great medal tokenpro, super gorgeous strike. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous Columbian expo medal!
    Who was the engraver and manufacturer of these medals?

• Options
    Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

<3

• Options
    edited July 11, 2020 8:14AM

Wilhelm Mayer, a prolific medalist from Stuttgart, Germany who is responsible for producing some of the most beautiful medals from the Exposition.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2020 8:50AM

@tokenpro said:

@Zoins said:

@tokenpro said:

Someone else will have to get the TrueView as this one will go into my show inventory after it gets processed as much of my graded stock does.

@keets I think there's a another medal for you coming up ;)

I love the artistry on these but have other collecting missions at the moment.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great acquisition. It’s amazing that pieces like this endured to remain in such great condition.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 1:15PM

@keets Stunningly beautiful medal.

PS: Once it crosses, are you going to send it to CAC?? :):):):)

PPS: I was not serious with my PS.

Mark

• Options

Mark, like I said in the other thread, CAC won't even consider most of the type of things I collect. :)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning medal. Congrats, at last, on your newp!

@keets said:

Wilhelm Mayer, a prolific medalist from Stuttgart, Germany who is responsible for producing some of the most beautiful medals from the Exposition.

So I spotted what looks like a corrected misspelling of ESPOSIZIONE with the first S over an X and wondered why an Italian would screw that up when they don't even use the letter X. The medalist being German explains it.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2020 6:28PM

So I spotted what looks like a corrected misspelling of ESPOSIZIONE with the first S over an X

I don't think it's anything like that, more likely it's the "S" letter punch and the serifs. there are only three S's on the medal, two on the reverse and one on the obverse. the obverse "S" is no help, it is a different font/style. the two on the reverse look similar when I blow up the picture, enough so that it just may be the style or some damage to the letter punch.

• Options

ttt.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2020 3:23PM

I'm sorry, you didn't receive your expectations. :/ Beautiful coin, regardless!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunningly beautiful metal. It is one you can't just glance at, instead requiring your full and undivided attention.
    I am equally as impressed you live in an area that allows for worry-free packages to be left on your doorstep/porch without worry or concern.
    I wish more of America would have that standard of living.

• Options

How could this beautiful medal be considered anything less than GEM?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@DCW said:

To be fair, 65 is a GEM grade.

• Options

@abcde12345 said:

@DCW said:

I realize that. It did not cross at PCGS at 65, and I cannot understand how this could be viewed as a 64.
    It is stunning

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@abcde12345 said:

@DCW said:

But PCGS must not have thought so.

I’ve said it before, but the TPGs are just flat out inconsistent in regard to a lot of exonumia. There are amazing pieces that don’t yield deserving grades and yet there is a lot of crap in the ms62 to ms65 grade range. It’s beyond the normal variability in their grading of most coinage.

• Options

@GoldenEgg
    Very hard to be consistent with exonumia. One would have to see the same variety multiple times to get a feel for strike, luster, wear patterns, etc to have any consistency. Especially for medals that weren't intended to circulate.
    I think it is safe to say that the a lot of time, the graders are seeing things for the first time and are winging it.
    Not as easy and objective as grading Lincoln cents

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@DCW said:
    @GoldenEgg
    Very hard to be consistent with exonumia. One would have to see the same variety multiple times to get a feel for strike, luster, wear patterns, etc to have any consistency. Especially for medals that weren't intended to circulate.
    I think it is safe to say that the a lot of time, the graders are seeing things for the first time and are winging it.
    Not as easy and objective as grading Lincoln cents

I agree - it is difficult and they are “winging it”. As such, we should have no reasonable expectation that the grade will be accurate or consistent.

Point being, it really doesn’t matter what grade they put on the slab. There is a good chance that it doesn’t actually indicate the quality of the piece within.

• Options

I understand wanting to cross it to PCGS yet this is one arena where the white NGC slabs show off the exonumia best. I wouldn't be disappointed. Perhaps the "scratch" bothered PCGS to a degree they simply wouldn't give it a GEM designation. Either way, the captivating beauty of the medal more than makes up the momentary disappointment of the cross.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:

I think it is safe to say that the a lot of time, the graders are seeing things for the first time and are > Point being, it really doesn’t matter what grade they put on the slab. There is a good chance that it doesn’t actually indicate the quality of the piece within.

I wouldn't go that far. It is still nice to have high grade material, but you have to be aware that in exonumia eye appeal often trumps the grade on the label.
    As it should

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a true work of art. Amazing intricate engraving.

• Options
    edited August 27, 2020 2:34AM

I agree wholeheartedly with the first point of this post but think the back half is being a bit tough on the graders. although this specific Eglit number, 273, may not be seen often, the basic design is common enough in other incarnations, especially the obverse. the reverse is slightly different than the more common version, Eglit 55. comparing the two examples in this thread causes me anguish in trying to understand a two-point grade differential at NGC and DNC status from PCGS, a service which tends to see things on equal footing with NGC.

really, though, it's "water over the bridge" as my Mom used to say!! :p the crossover was principally for the capsule of my choice and the images by PCGSPhoto. it will store long term as is just fine and I guess I'll use the old Stack's images. to finish, I will follow up on what DCW said about "seeing things for the first time" which definitely applies here. NGC doesn't even have this listed in their census as E-273 while also showing a single Gilt E-55 graded as MS62.

• Options

ttt, again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file