Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another old school grading--- NEW OUTCOME? New pics in OP and last post!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 4, 2020 6:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

SEGS or SGS? Couldn't pass up. Very high BU. One main reason that I will reveal later. Don't have my scope available at the moment. Will take close-up pics later. Then you'll see why I like it! For now here are some pics of the slab. I figure for only $5, I can try to revive this poor Jefferson?

BEFORE:

Here shows the bad news!

AFTER:
HOW DOES IT LOOK NOW?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing tbem before. Never did buy one

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, self slabber. I’ve seen that style of slab recently with another company. Two whacks with a hammer and it was easily opened.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2020 3:15PM

Reminds me of the slabs they sell at Hobby Lobby. To store your own personal coins in. Lol

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Yeah, self slabber. I’ve seen that style of slab recently with another company. Two whacks with a hammer and it was easily opened.

Speaking of SEGS (even though this isn't a SEGS holder)...ever try to break open one of their slabs? Yikes! You'd need 20 whacks with a hammer just to crack the dang thing.

• Options

@chesterb said:

Yikes! You'd need 20 whacks with a hammer just to crack the dang thing.

How 'bout placing the slab in a vise? Then slowly squeeze the slab? :*

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grade they assigned should tell you everything you need to know about them.
    Crack it out, get the pvc off it, put it in a 2x2 and you are better off.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@TurtleCat said:

Speaking of SEGS (even though this isn't a SEGS holder)...ever try to break open one of their slabs? Yikes! You'd need 20 whacks with a hammer just to crack the dang thing.

I’ve never tried. I was always wary of buying anything in their slab. I figured people used a band saw to cut them open.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2020 3:27PM

@ChrisH821 said:
    The grade they assigned should tell you everything you need to know about them.
    Crack it out, get the pvc off it, put it in a 2x2 and you are better off.

Removing the PVC spots are possible? How?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone, but be careful...also if it's eaten into the surface it's ruined anyway.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2020 3:34PM

How about PCGS, can they restore it? I know it's expensive. Here's the thing. I wasn't going to reveal this until I got my scope to show you guy's. IT'S GOT FULL STEPS! :p

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not worth the effort, but I bet I can get the coin out at 100 yards with my AR-15 with one shot!

would be fun, 'eh?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    How about PCGS, can they restore it? I know it's expensive. Here's the thing. I wasn't going to reveal this until I got my scope to show you guy's. IT'S GOT FULL STEPS! :p

The war nickels often have full steps. The silver alloy is softer and struck up better than copper/nickel.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2020 5:03PM

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

SGS is a basement grader (meaning someone just put them together at home). There is no cracking needed as these can be opened fairly easily.

• Options

Thanks guy's for all your suggestions and concern. :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the PVC eating into the coin, that coin is closer to a 7 than a 67.

It's a silver war nickel. It's worth a buck!

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

I had a whole set of State Quarters in those slabs once - came from an estate. They all said MS70 on them, I don't think one of them would have made it to 64.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do crack it out, a simple soak and rinse in acetone will remove the PVC.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

PCGS has it for $6000 in 68. They have it for $135 in 67 and, as you can see on eBay, they sell for less than that

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 7:22PM

It's people like this that give Accugrade a bad name.

• Options

@dpoole said:
    It's people like this that gives Accugrade a bad name.

People like SGS? Or people like the coin dealer who sold a cull nickel for $5?

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not SEGS, as was mentioned. That's SGS, a "Self Grading Service". What grade do you want to call it? MS70??! :D:D:D Heck, that one even looks cleaned.

Good news ... for $5. (of that is what you paid) you are not buried.

Better news ... if you listen to the advice here you wont spend any more money trying to put lipstick on a pigs, but will use your eye to find real hidden gems.

As far as this one goes, FS or not, that coin might be a 64 - 65, and those are available all day, everyday, and six times on Sundays. I have a much nicer example in our hosts plastic at 66FS that I just recently paid a whopping $27. for (and frankly I might have overpaid).

Even better news ... if ... IF ... you have Acetone, AND if ... IF ... you will read up and understand the dangers of working with Acetone, you have a perfect example that could use a bath and probably a q-tip Acetone swab. Look it up.

THEN you can use your tremendous closeup photography skills (and no, I am not blowing smoke up your a** here) to see the etching the PVC (or dip residue) left on the coin. And that will be the most valuable lesson of all.

my 2c. Hope I don't sound like a d***

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty "if you listen to the advice here you wont spend any more money trying to put lipstick on a pig"
    +1

• Options

Thank You! All of you guys are right! ;)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnny9434 said:

I had a whole set of State Quarters in those slabs once - came from an estate. They all said MS70 on them, I don't think one of them would have made it to 64.

The ones I saw were way off grade to what a bummer to see

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While not good news on this purchase, it will allow a couple of learning opportunities. One, be careful when considering purchases. Two, try removing PVC with acetone. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm going to disagree with what seems to be the consensus. from the 1st image, it looks like splotchy mint grease, which probably won't come off. small chance anyway.

please do an update because it does look green from the lower images and also cuz i wanna see if whatever it is come off that amazing ms70 jeffie! :D

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    i'm going to disagree with what seems to be the consensus. from the 1st image, it looks like splotchy mint grease, which probably won't come off. small chance anyway.

please do an update because it does look green from the lower images and also cuz i wanna see if whatever it is come off that amazing ms70 jeffie! :D

I half agree. The mint grease should still come off, although you may need hexane instead of acetone. What won't come off is what appears to be green crystalline corrosion. It might fall off while being washed, but that will leave pitting on the surface anyway.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

The mint grease should still come off, although you may need hexane instead of acetone. What won't come off is what appears to be green crystalline corrosion. It might fall off while being washed, but that will leave pitting on the surface anyway.

have you always gotten off all examples of mint grease? i legitimately want to know as i've seen coins with what looks like mint grease that simply refuses to budge. i don't have a chemical selection but i'm almost positive there are compounds that can be used to remove all the mint great/crap w/o noticeably harming the coin.

never used hexane. do you recommend sufficient ventilation like with ezest, ammonia, acetone, ms70 etc?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 9:01AM

SGS was a dominant slab brand in the mid 2000s. You can find numerous threads on them here. I don't think they are still in business.

SEGS is still in business the last time I checked.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The mint grease should still come off, although you may need hexane instead of acetone. What won't come off is what appears to be green crystalline corrosion. It might fall off while being washed, but that will leave pitting on the surface anyway.

have you always gotten off all examples of mint grease? i legitimately want to know as i've seen coins with what looks like mint grease that simply refuses to budge. i don't have a chemical selection but i'm almost positive there are compounds that can be used to remove all the mint great/crap w/o noticeably harming the coin.

never used hexane. do you recommend sufficient ventilation like with ezest, ammonia, acetone, ms70 etc?

Grease can always be removed. That said, you may not like what's left behind. LOL. A lot of times the surface underneath has a mottled appearance.

People also use kerosene, mineral spirits, gasoline...

I would always recommend ventilation with any solvent or even household cleaning supplies. Especially if you aren't 100% sure what's on the surface.

True story:
    When I was in graduate school, I had Indium Phosphide crystals that needed polishing. I took them to our optics shop, told the guy what it was and left.

The guy ended up in the hospital.

When he went to clean the surface with the standard detergent, it reacted with the surface to create phosgene gas (a WW I chemical warfare agent).

I had assumed he would look it up before he did anything. I hadn't bothered since I didn't know what he was using to polish it anyway.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought SGS MS70 was the name of the company

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

SEGS slabs have been known for years to be maybe the toughest to crack out

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    SGS was a dominant slab brand in the mid 2000s. You can find numerous threads on them here. I don't think they are still in business.

Dominant is not the word I would choose.

The good news is they were shut down for receiving stolen property. Albon Coins IIRC out of Ohio.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2020 1:46AM

Ok, just for learning terms. We already established the coin is TOAST! Cracked out of it's basement prison and given a refreshing bath of acetone. Very little improvement but not worth bragging about, I guess? On the positive notes, if there are any? At least for the teaching aspect. Full Steps! Still has luster. Also, notice the die crack/lamination on the reverse. It is extended from the word UNUM through the top of Monticello! Yes, decay is still present.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2020 1:51AM

I've been to the coin store owned by the guy who ran this joke of a slabbing company. Thankfully they are gone but I cherrypicked some decent stuff before they closed. The shop was in Mansfield, OH.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks more like a lamination (common on war nickels) than a die crack. Looks like full steps based on your pics but I'm no expert on full step nickels. You certainly got more than $5 worth of educational and entertainment value from your purchase in my opinion. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice close up pics @joeykoins

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like lightening strike at top of Monticello! 🙂

Ken
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2020 6:20PM

I tried something new, BETTER?

• Options

Looks good! Can you see any Mark's left by the PVC? My eyes are not to good anymore.

Ken
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2020 6:38PM

Thanks. A Tad. I think anyway? An Improvement at least, No? Lol

• Options

The pictures show improvement for sure! I hope it looks as good in hand.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file